Edwardian Steam Airbattleship HMS Fearnaught

Iain Ogilvie

What ho chaps, your all ruddy nutters i say :bleh::clown: , well keep up the good work, and um mums the word eh :worthy: nowt shall pass my lips...... cept gin of course :drink:

Gruffers

• 4 weeks later...

What-ho chaps...

With apologies for delayed progress, but the aero-carpenters have been sourcing wood for Fearnoughts tail feathers from seed (or so it would appear!).

After more sound thrashings, and a score of three sore bottoms to one, I give you further progress:

re2005636.JPG

re2005637.JPG

re2005638.JPG

Stay tuned for more thrilling adventures at a screen near you soon!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

After more sound thrashings, and a score of three sore bottoms to one

What ho! Just like that in my old school days....old Sir Twiggy "three fingers" Hamilton-Smyth...ah there was a man with the flair for the strap! "Discipline..." he would say, "discipline and a bloody great cane. That's what saw the boys hold the line at Rorke's Drift!"

Onward Sir!!

Edited by Kahunaminor

It is but an unfortunate small fly in a very smooth pot of Dr Crabbes patented liniment, but the 'restoration' team have been unable to source the original elastic primer paint used in Fearnoughts construction.

The original material was a very special concoction based upon Yak dung, cumin, mustard seed and hot water devised by that very clever Imperial Indian inventor C J Petropetal of Bombay, based upon a conceptual idea from Major P C Dawlish (famous for the Dawlish Special motor car raced to Monte Carlo almost two decades later*).

Unfortunately use of this material would cause today's governments Health and Safety Executive to spontaneously implode, so we have utilised the more widely available modern equivalent: Grey Primer from mssrs Halfords.

*Recently un-earthed period documentary featuring Major Dawlish himself - see below:

Fearnought is now resplendent in Dawlish Grey and the team hope to post updated daguerreotypes later (perhaps) :drink:

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

And here we are - almost ready for fitting out of secondary armament, railings and other details - although the elephants still allude us:

re2005639.JPG

re2005640.JPG

re2005641.JPG

At last you can see her handsome lines...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

• 2 weeks later...

Ye Gods, Sir!

I had thought that my own de Havilland "Bisquito" flying machine for aerial bombardment (see the recent "What-if" GB for further details) was sufficiently

deranged as to be 2 stops past Barking, but this . . .

A positively preposterous proposition, Sir!

Thanks, Iain, for this wonderful Techno-Gothicism!

What what, I say old chap have those dammed workers gone on strike again? Give 'em a taste of the lash I say, never did me no harm yet "Nanny" still says I'm a naughty boy! What? egads sirrah!

• 4 weeks later...

In further dispatches we can report that the sound thrashings, ahem, 'team morale meeting' (to use the modern vernacular), has resulted in the lower orders finally extracting a digit (from wherever it may have been hiding) and Fearnaught is now resplendent...

'In what' I hear you ask...

Well - bit hush, hush on the old finish front for now - but we may be able to smuggle a daguerreotype into the Airbattleship sheds a little later this evening.

Huzzah!

Iain

Shhhh...

Don't tell anyone I spilled the beans - just between you and I eh? ;)

re2005688.JPG

Am informed she'll be going through the fittings shop tomorrow for final fitting out...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Gentlemen...

After colossal efforts by the Fearnaught restoration team I'm delighted to present to such august and revered forum members some initial images of the completed HMAS Fearnaught.

Aha - more sepia toned daguerreotypes I hear you shout! But you''d be wrong.

To celebrate the Jubilee of our illustrious Monarch we've had the images hand tinted, at very great expense, in glorious colour!

I beseech you to sit down comfortably with a glass of Empire Ale and feast your eyes upon her magnificence:

Gentlemen - I present HMAS Fearnaught - God bless her and all who sink in her...

Huzzah!

re2005689.JPG

re2005690.JPG

re2005691.JPG

re2005692.JPG

re2005693.JPG

re2005694.JPG

re2005695.JPG

And what about accuracy I hear you cry?

I'll let the images speak for themselves - one is the re-creation - and one is the original - both images taken from the same angle.

Can you tell which one is which? ;)

re2005698.JPG

re2005700.JPG

Right 'oh - off for a Pimms and some jokes I've been meaning to tell myself.

Toodle pip!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

She's superb Iain. Well done to the restoration team for getting her completed in time for Her Majestys Jubilee celebs, even if they needed a bit of a flogging.

I say what what, glorious Gloriana and all that, top hole stuff very impressive!

I believe the first daguerreotypes is the original, after all we don't have clouds spoiling the skies above Glorious England during the Jubilee celebrations, so its clear blue Imperial skies! Huzzah!

I thank you gentlemen for your interest and kind words...

Have to report that it's been great fun and I'm now suitably more inspired to crack on with some more 'serious' projects now :)

Iain

Hmmm...

For some random reason (that'll be me being random) I thought the GB ended on the 3rd - not 30th (numpty!) - so, not only have I actually finished something for a GB, but I've managed to finish almost a month early - how did that happen? :shrug:

I've only managed to finish one Group Build before now (despite many starts) and that was a 13th hour job - scraping in by the teeth of some very kind hosts... :whip:

My whole World is now slightly off it's axis... :chair:

Have fun - and keep those creations coming!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Cheers Don :)

As I have a little more time I may add some more bits and bobs - we'll see...

Iain

I know that inpulse. I was up 'til 0100 adding a variety of twiddly bits to mine. My best bit was a boarding ladder, perhaps you need some too?