Fw-190 D-11

Right then chaps, a small update, no pictures. Been working on detailing the cockpit side walls today, adding various shading and paint chipping. I shall hopefully be getting my natural metal finish paint tomorrow, so with a large dose of luck I should hopefully have the fuselage halves together this weekend. I have also completed the black-dog resin tail wheel, disappointingly allot of the resin mechanism had become broken and damaged in transport, so I had to scratch build a large portion of it. Hopefully I should have photos of this part ready tomorrow. Also I am still gently sanding the engine removable hatch so that it is ready for riveting and then priming.

Hope you chaps are enjoying the show as much as I am.

Cheers

Nick

Glad you're all liking the build thread, another quick update, just spent the past hour removing the counter weight off the small mobile phone vibration motor, also I've just soldered the correct wires onto this, so hopefully with a large measure of luck I should have the motor and electronics all wired up soon.

They said I was mad when I suggested I was going to make a fully retractable undercarriage, they laughed at, pointed fingers, made fun..but I showed them, plastic is my friend...after a solid 16 hours of test drawings, fettling, filling, drilling, swearing, drinking and manic laughter, I bloody well did it. They laughed. I showed them.

The wheel is not glued into position, its purely them as a test at the moment, held in with blu-tac. The entire assembly retracts into the wing, and the top section of the wing fits over it with ease. To say I'm chuffed is a huge underestimation, never really thought I would get the damn thing to work, now all that's left is to make another for the other leg...

Below are photos of the leg while its retracting. With photos showing it sitting snugly into the gear bear. Cool eh. A huge amount of scratch building and cutting went into getting this to work, not 100% accurate, but hell...it works. Sorry about the crap pictures, its dark here, will take better ones over the weekend.

geartesta.jpg

geartestb.jpg

SAM_1644.jpg

SAM_1645.jpg

This is by no means complete, there is still a massive amount of work to be done in this area to get it to look better, still the base is there.

So....what you think.

Edited by Moofles

Been a busy weekend but this is where I am at. Both sets of landing gear now fully retract and extend. The hole you can just see at the back of the wing is for the socket that will then be mated to the flying stand, so that when its on the flying stand the model will be ''plugged in'' and therefore at the flick of a switch the motor shall (hopefully) turn.

As you can see the motor has also been added along with all the necessary wiring, to say getting all this to fit was a mission is an underestimation, I will breath a huge sigh of relief when the whole thing is buttoned up...in fact I will breath a sigh of relief when the model is completed, still not sure all of this will work.

Today I have to work on some minor wiring of the engine, tidy some bits and pieces up, hopefully with a tad of luck I may get the fuse sides glued together...here is hoping. Enjoy the pics.

Nick

internals-1.jpg

gearre.jpg

gearex-1.jpg

Wow Moofs', you've certainly given yourself a project here!

Sorry I've not seen this earlier and equally sorry to hear about the job mate, hope you get sorted soon.

Very impressed with the engine and pit detaling, and the retracts are fantastic! You still going to motorise them?

Eagerly awaiting more!

Si.

I've done some trial fitting with micro mobile phone motors and it seems there just is not the space, manual retraction is all I can do in 1.48 at the moment, however in 1.32 I reckon it should be within the realms of possibility to have electronic undercarriage. We shall just have to wait and see. While not having a job at the moment is a bummer, does give me some extra time to work on my build.

Update.

Well the fuse halves have been mated together, and the wings have been added, how this has all fit is beyond me. The next challenge is to get the gear doors to fit...not going to be an easy task. I shall post pictures tomorrow morning.

Cheers all, and stay tuned.

Not a lot of progress these past few days. Fuselage halves have been mated and I've painted up the gear bay and the oleo's. Wings have also been mated to the fuse. A surprisingly small amount of filler was needed, considering the amount of crap I've stuck into this model, wasn't quite sure it would all fit. Filler is now drying, so hopefully tomorrow a solid session of sanding awaits me. Yes the gear fits when it fully retracts and some test fitting shows that the gear covers only need a small amount of sanding in order for them to sit flush when the gear is retracted....

topview.jpg

topleft.jpg

As you can see the engine cover still needs some work, need to re-rivet it. It does however, fit nice and flush...oh yeah.

SAM_1652.jpg

Oh you see that lil white square...that's my mounting socket for the flying stand. I have the male adaptor that plugs into that, making the model live. so when you flick a switch on the flying stand the motor will turn. You will also be able to remove the model from the flying stand, retract the gear, and have it stand on its own gear. cool stuff eh.

SAM_1651.jpg

On other notes, you may notice that I have the gun bay covers open, I plan on having this removable as-well, to accommodate the covers i have sanded off most of the underside, and glued them to the bottom wing instead of as the instructions say, the top wing section, this gives me a solid 2mm clearance, which shall hopefully be enough for the gun bay cover....we shall see.

Untill next time..

Cheers Steve, this really is a fun build, due to all the extra detail and stuff I've added, the problems encountered really has caused a few headache. Still, looking like it all might just work, hope to get the gear doors painted tomorrow.

Agreed, it is really amazing to see what can be done! I'm still a little apprehensive dealing with PE, let alone motors! Really good to see the D-11 coming on so well.

Parabat

Thats some great modelling there. How did the Black Dog tail wheel bay fit, was there much work to get that in as i've got the very same set for when I get round to doing mine.

Actually a far amount of the black dog resin in my set was broken, so I build it from scratch, what is there is the main plug, the tail wheel shaft and the tail wheel, everything else is scratch built, and yes, you need to seriously thing the internals, and i would suggest you thing the supporting braces aswell.