Fw-190 D-11

I'd agree with Tank about the Japo books but finding them now is pretty difficult. Theres certain schemes on Dora's that I'm not totally in agreement with Japo on but that's my personal opinion. However when it comes to the D-11 I'd agree with them EVERYTIME!

Built by Focke Wulf Sorau, late war paint scheme of multi manufacturer supplied assemblies.

Howard

Right then, after some purchaeses yesterday I think I'm about ready to start, this is what i have so far (not including books) still have a few more bits and bobs in the post, needless to say, this is going to be a wild build. Stay tuned.

(sorry about the rough and ready photography, just a quick boxshot with all the bits and bobs, will get the photo booth out for all the build shots.)

boxshot.jpg

*cackles* you missed it, there is not one motor but 3.....one main and two micro. I may not be using all 3, but i shall hopefully definitely be using one. If you want to know what the motor is for, your going to have to watch the build thread. :P

*cackles* you missed it, there is not one motor but 3.....one main and two micro. I may not be using all 3, but i shall hopefully definitely be using one. If you want to know what the motor is for, your going to have to watch the build thread. :P

:wicked: Mmmm. Only thing I can think of is your going to drill a hole through the resin Jumo, mount the motor under the gun cowl and have the prop going round. Micro motors for the u/c?

Its now starting to dawn on me what a mamouth job I have infront of me. Today has been rather productive. Engine is built, just need to paint it up, started constrcution on the cockpit, and i have scratch built some internals, now while these are not 100% accurate i was aiming at getting a sense of how busy it is inside and aicraft. I dinged up the surface in a few placces which has annoyed me a tad, but nothing a session polishing out wont fix.

SAM_1599.jpg

Cut out the side panel here, this will be removable on the model, held in place with magnets. Engine at the moment is just test fitted in, and so far, it looks set to be a dream fit, rather chuffed with that.

SAM_1600.jpg

another shot of the test fitted engine, with the removed panel tacked in display posisiton with tape. You can just make out some of the P.E wire on the back of th engine in this shot, was a pain in the butt to fit.

SAM_1601.jpg

SAM_1602.jpg

SAM_1603.jpg

These shot show the engine, I really wanted to replicate how busy and engine is with all the plumbing and what not, this was achieved with varying thickness of wire, overall rather happy with the outcome.

SAM_1604.jpg

As you can see, this area is fully scratch built, not terrible accurate, but it gives a sense of the busy area aft of the cockpit, and not alot will be seen through the open hatch.

SAM_1605.jpg

This is still very rough, and im still working on it, finished article will sit flush with the fuse.

SAM_1608.jpg

posable hatch...just had to do, this shot gives you a sense of how much will be visbale when the hatch is open, im awaiting some micro magenest wich i will attach and sit flush with the door, this will hopefully keep the door flush with the fuse until it is opened. I built up the back panel of the door and the lip just using some off cuts of thin plastic. Will detail it up later on.

So there we have it, this is what I have done so far today, still got a shed load to do, need to polish out the surface and start some painting. Not to bad though.

As usual, all comments to help me out are very much welcome.

There isn't a kit engine, all you get is the back end of one, since that is all you will see from the open wheel bays. Since I'm building mine with lots of panels open I had to get an engine.

As for the motors, I won't be using the big one, but i shall be using the micro ones, might even pick up another one..... who knows, see where my creative juices take me.

{edit} To put Steve and the rest of you out of your misery I will spill the beans, I plan on having a micro moter in the very front of the engine, this will power the prop, i will then have the wires runing through the fuse to a special femal socket...this means when the model is on the flying stand, it will in effect be ''plugged in'' the base will hold a male adaptor, switch and batteries, so when its on the stand, flick a switch and the prop will turn. I also plan on having a fully movable undercarriage, so that when i take it off the stand, i can move the undercarriage into the down position and it will be able to rest on it. Panels shall be removable by a system of magnets and what not. Im currently trying to figure out a way to make the undercarriage electric using 2 micro motors, but i cannot quite figure out what i need just yet.

Anyway that's the plan...whether it will work or not is another matter.

Edited by Moofles

Right then chaps small update, not going to lie, this past week has been crap. Laptop decided to die, lost my job and royal mail has cocked up left right and centre. But now things are looking better, laptop came back from fixit shop (yay) got a shed load of parcels from royal mail, Howard massive cheers for the decals big help and i finally got through my magnets and some special ordered connection leads for my motors. Just did a jerry rigged mockup with the special connectors and the motos and the damned thing worked. Well chuffed. Now I have my laptop back i can start working on my cockpit as i now have readily available ref material stored on there.

Good times ahead, expect some serious cockpit updates within the next 48 hours.

Howard I owe you a pint mate, those decals are ace. Im strongly tempted to do a Whif Red 13 for JG/300

Right chaps, after a simply mammoth painting session, my cockpit is pretty much done, as is my pilot now christened Hans. A quick and dirty trial fit showed that he fits into the cockpit nicely and that the canopy can be closed over him. Shall take some photos for you all tomorrow. Quick question. the aft part of the fuselage was painted what colour internally, I have conflicting photos, some show it painted an almost chromate yellow colour, while others show it as natural metal. Ideas?

This is from the Japo book.

Publication HM-Anweisung Nr. 7/42 (18 May 1942) on "Simplifying Surface Treatment for Land-Based Aircraft", surface protection was cut down and the painting of aircraft interiors not exposed to external airflow was fully abandoned. In addition, the cockpit only received one coat of RLM66 instead of two previously.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Are you aware of the errata sheet that Eduard put out concerning the construction of the MG bay and firewall??? It was in one of their newsletters (June 2010) after the release of the Dora. Apparently the angles of both vertical surfaces should be 93 degrees from the horizontal and not 90 degrees.

Regards

No I wasn't aware, thank you for the heads up, well as promised, here is the cockpit pits, somewhat washed out from the light, don't really show the level of weathering, ah well. Hopefully you get the drift.

I have a habit of naming all my pilots, so i present to you in all his glory...Hans.

hansfront.jpg

hans.jpg

cockpittopb.jpg

cocjkpittoprear.jpg

used a selection of airscale i.p dials and placards. rather happy with the result, will try and take some more pics later to try and get rid of the washout.

Hans meet the world, the world Hans. Play nice.

{Edit} Cockpit was painted with a black base,t hen misting of RLM 66, this gave a nice pre-shade, this was then followed with a post shade of rlm 66 with a few drops of white. To this subsequent highlights using a lighter grey dry brushed on. Followed by several washes of MiG brown wash, with the paint chipping simulated by brush and bolt gun metal paint. I like the result, nice and dirty, simulating the rough and ready fields the D-11 was being run from.

Edited by Moofles