Spaceport Vespasian 1\400

I'll write up the proper story for the model when it's complete - but there will be a proper description. Plus I'll be finishing my Stargazer Aries Moonpod from 2001 before I properly commence.

As I've already discussed with Deon, this model won't be from the Steampunk branch of bare copper and steel, rivets and pipework. This is from the Art Deco\Bauhaus tradition which is already part of the genre. It may seem strange to start the GB with photos of a model already completed.

100_1764.jpg

100_1765.jpg

This is the Glencoe re-release of the Strombecker rocket of the 1950's. I finished it New Year 2003 with the express intention of building a launch pad diorama for it, but never really got round to it. Not due to laziness in this particular case - that description can apply to any number of models lying around within arms reach. I didn't build it because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I have a kind of idea in my head but I knew full well that despite what I wanted it to look like, it would, in fact end up looking as cluttered as the Death Star trench. It was obvious - on the tip of my conciousness - a friend of mine - and modeller of WWI aircraft - is an architect and we'd actually discussed art deco\bauhaus in the past but for some reason I couldn't develop the wit to make the link.

The Spaceport here will be a kind of tribute to another model. If you've ever seen 'Things to Come' - the pre-WWII film of HG Well's future history - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028358/ - the model here will aspire to follow the form of the Space Cannon and its surrounding buildings at the climax of the film.

I'm re-scaling the rocket to 1\400 for the purposes of the model. There will be a couple of buildings, the launch pad itself, some illumination, a launch tower. Art deco follows simple shapes and curves to build confident and noble-looking surroundings (think of the skyline of Bespin Cloud City in 'The Empire Strikes Back') but to follow the rules, the detail is often austere - and will usually be ruthlessly symmetrical. Walkways will be depicted without guardrails - the people of the future are not so daft they go around falling off bridges and elevated paths. Those future humans have no need of 'stairs' - escalators and elevators are there for their every convenience.

Anyway, I digress. The model for the GB itself is the Spaceport - not the rocket, which will be added to maybe one or two pics at the end to show the finished article, but the final photos for the 'completed model' thread will not feature the rocket.

And here are the constituent parts....

100_1767.jpg

Airfix 1\144 Hovercraft (several of...), a glass pyrex lid, an airfix pontoon bridge, a kinder egg roman figure (been in the spares box since 1981...!!), transparent disposeable cigarrette lighters, some 1\400 Preiser figures (there will also be some Tamiya 1\350 figures which aren't illustrated - these are utterly terrible, but there's a reasong for using them in this case...). Polystyrene blocks, there will be some resincasting, there's a lid from some kind of cream I found in the bathroom, and a christmas tree lighting rig. Jujst a note on the hovercraft - I have several, all second-hand. Not a one of them ever came with the cars airfix provided for the car deck in the model. If they had been there they would have been available to all-comers. They weren't there - sorry.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...