FW190 reference thread

If you have any questions on the 190 please feel free to post them on here and we will do our best to answer.

From a personal point of view, I have quite a number of FW190 books from which I can get a lot of info from. This includes a translated copy of the FW190 A-8 maintainance manual which should answer all your technical questions. I intend to post a number of the pictures/diagrams from it, once I get them scanned and put onto photobucket. I also have a number of other manuals on file so feel free to ask anything technical.

I am sure there are also a number of 190 Experten on here, so we should have most things covered. (Yes, I'm talking about you Thomas and Tank)

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Nige,

I'm on my phone at the moment, but I'll get some pictures put on tomorrow that should help.

As for the cockpit colour I would use RLM02 as its an early 190. Later aircraft used RLM66 which is a bit darker.

Steve

Edit - RLM02 was used up to November 1941

Edited by jacksdad64

Thanks steve just one more question i tried to find RLM02 on the paint conversion chart and i cant find it i can find RLM66 but not 02 keeps coming up with yellow do you know the name of it (im using humbrol paints by the way).

Sorry to be a pain but this will be the first model i want to try and detail the cockpit on so the help will be greatly appreciated.

oh and there is no rush lol

thanks nige

Edited by nige_1980

Hello folks,

For all Luftwaffe aircrafts later than 1941 the cockpit colour was RLM 66.

Evidences are : German Aircraft Interior ,K.Merrick, P. 120 & 121 and Ullman, Luftwaffe Colors 1935 - 1945, Hikoki, P.179 where you can see Amin Fabers Fw 190 A-3 cockpit painted in RLM 66.

So i could help.

greeets Thomas

ps.: Im on the road, so i can scan the images; but they will come later

Edited by tango35

I've got a query. In Fw190 wheel wells, some pictures of -Ds I've seen, both actual & models seem to have nothing between the well & the engine compartment but many models seem to have a dimpled ceiling to the wheel wells. What would be the correct way to portray this, I don't really fancy trying to scratch build the rear underside of an engine compartment in 1/72. :o

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

I've got a query. In Fw190 wheel wells, some pictures of -Ds I've seen, both actual & models seem to have nothing between the well & the engine compartment but many models seem to have a dimpled ceiling to the wheel wells. What would be the correct way to portray this, I don't really fancy trying to scratch build the rear underside of an engine compartment in 1/72. :o

Steve.

Steve

the A [and F,G] models have a well roof.

The D does not, and opens into the back of the engine compartment, though some kits skip this and have an A type roof. This is of course inaccurate.

If you don't want to do this, build an A.

HTH

T

Steve

the A [and F,G] models have a well roof.

The D does not, and opens into the back of the engine compartment, though some kits skip this and have an A type roof. This is of course inaccurate.

If you don't want to do this, build an A.

HTH

T

Thanks Troy,I wondered if it was something like that. Does anyone do an after market open engine back/wheel well roof in 1/72? I wouldn't necessarily want to hyper detail it but something has to be better than a hole or an incorrect roof/ceiling.

Steve.

The only kits that has the correct wheel well/rear engine compartment for the D are the Eduard ones. However for those that are using the Tamiya kit MDC do a resin correction kit that includes the visible part of the rear of the engine and bearers etc.This correction kit and the others MDC do for the Tamiya kit is only available in 1/48 though

So it looks like your only option as you've suggested would be a fair bit of scratch building.

Steve.

Edited by tank152

For those that are using the tamiya kit for their Dora and want to correct it's shortcomings these are the MDC resin correction kits that are available.

http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/m...ll%20Correction

http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/m...190D%20Exterior

http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/m...W190D%20Cockpit

http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/m.../FW190D%20Suite

I used the wheels, spinner and prop blades from the exterior set when I built my Eduard Dora.

Edited by tank152

also do you have any pics of the seat belts and where they anchor has im going to have a go at making some.

Ok Nige. Hopefully this will help.

First off here is a scan from the Squadron Walkaround book. It shows the attachment points for the shoulder straps, just behind the seat on the bulkhead. Also, on the drawing of the seat you'll see where the lap belts attach to the seat.

seatbeltattachmentpoints.jpg

Next is a photo of the Waldron buckles I'll be using, in 1/24, to give you an idea of the design.

DSCF0863.jpg

Lastly, here is a link to the page on the Eduard web site for the etch seat belts. If you click on the 'instructions' link you will see the construction of them.

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Photo-e...s-S-A-1-32.html

I hope this is of some use to you.

Steve

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some drawings. It´s for my Fw 190 A1 conversion. especialy a good drawings from the top op the wings. I want to know were the panellines for the hatches are placed.

O, and do sombody know what colours are in the cockpit for these early birds. I believe it´s RLM02 but can some one confirm this.

I hope some one can help me.

Edited by Arniec

Hi Arnold,

I'm on my phone at the moment but I will post some drawings for you tomorrow morning.

As for the pit it will be RLM02.

Steve

Thanxs Steve. :thumbsup2:

Do you also have a good picture of the cockpit for a A1? I have only found some blury ones.

Arnold

Ok, Arnold. Hopefully these will help.

First are a side and a 3/4 view to help with the panel lines.

190A1001.jpg

190A13quaurter.jpg

Next is a manual drawing of the A-1 cockpit.

cockpit001.jpg

I hope these are of some use to you.

If you need anything else, just let me know.

Steve

As you know, I'm doing Lixfeld's Sturmbock, but I have a wee question about the front upper cowl.

1-Fw-190A8-6_JG300-Y12--Paul-Lixfeld-Germany-1944-01.jpg

Quite a lot of Sturmbock had the gun trough's faired over, some did not.

Does anyone know what 'yellow 12' had? All the pictures I have of the aircraft do not show this area very well, so at the moment it's just guess work but it would be nice to know for certain.

Steve

As you know, I'm doing Lixfeld's Sturmbock, but I have a wee question about the front upper cowl.

1-Fw-190A8-6_JG300-Y12--Paul-Lixfeld-Germany-1944-01.jpg

Quite a lot of Sturmbock had the gun trough's faired over, some did not.

Does anyone know what 'yellow 12' had? All the pictures I have of the aircraft do not show this area very well, so at the moment it's just guess work but it would be nice to know for certain.

Steve

Just had a look in the Eagle-Editions JG300 book and i'd say it had the gun troughs faired over, the profile of it in there certainly shows it so.

Question. The wheel doors on a Fw-190 A1 where they shut on the ground or not?

In almost every photo of early Anton's that I have looked at the doors are open. There is a small rubber bumper 2/3 of the way up that the wheel contacts when retracting that shuts the door behind it.

Steve