Focke Wulf FW190 A-8/R2 (Airfix 1/24 conv.)

Really taking shape now Steve, not long now till you hit it with some paint.

As for the Ta-152 I suppose it depends what route you want to take with it. You've read what Willi Reschke had to say about it. There is no mention of it in his JG301/302 book either. Look at it like this a new kite at an airfield would attract loads of attention the 152 was hardly a small thing now imagine that painted orange its not something you'd miss or even forget. At the end of the day its your model so the choice is yours. If I ever get my hands on the 1/48 Italeri kit i'll be doing Reschke's aircraft.

Fair point Tim. I must admit, I am leaning towards a camo scheme now.

Its not that I think the orange-red one existed but a camo scheme gives me more practice on mottling.

I'll see how I feel when I get round to the painting of it. Probably at the same time as I'm painting the Sturmbocke.

Steve

Apaologies for not having posted anything in the last few days.

However, the wife is at work this evening so I should managed to get the u/c finished off.

I'm also going to dig out my Bare Metal Foil to make sure I have enough to cover the area I want to .

Anyhoo, I should manage to get some pictures posted tomorrow.

Steve

Patience...bah ran out of that while building the undercarriage on my 190.

Basically I'm waiting for there to be something interesting to photograph. I'm going to wait until the u/c legs are done and I've started on the Foil. For those of you that use the stuff I'll be using Matte Aluminium.

Steve

Edited by jacksdad64

So, what do you guys think? A camo scheme or the 'alleged' Aufhammers all over Orange-Red?

ec134_3.jpg

I would say a camo. I didn't know that the dutch hade some Ta 152's in Orange?!

Recon the orange/red would be more of a challenge as subtle tonal differeces and weathering would stand out well and show off the lines of\the model to great effect. It is rather sticking your neck out though :) If not green9 is my fav. with the spiral and bare metal undersurface

Alistair

Thanks for your opinions guys.

I think I'll just go with a camo scheme.

As for the build I've done nothing today as I'm suffering from 'Onset Man Flu' :(

Hopefully I'll get some work tomorrow morning.

Steve

Ok chaps, apologies for the delay in any updates, but I've had a few problems (mostly of my own making) which are now resolved. So on with the show........

There are quite a few pictures to show so I'll just give a brief description with each one.

First off are the resin late style wheels I'll be using.

100_1781.jpg

Here is the canopy frame. Here you can make out the canopy bracing wires that I've added. They go from the top of the headrest support to either side of the rear plate. I've also cut a slot for the radio ariel. I have drilled a hole in the canopy so that the wire will go from the rear plate, through the slot, out the top of the canopy and back to the tail.

100_1774-1.jpg

Here I have added the tension rods missing from the kits fuel tank support frame. I've also added the two pipes from the fuel tank to the fuselage.

100_1777.jpg

Here are the rivets added to the armour panels.

100_1768.jpg

Here is the u/c door being attached. You can just make out, also, the brake line going down the leg to the flexible pipe at the bottom. Also there is the micro-switch with wires on the u/c leg support brace. The purpose of this was that once the brace was locked in the down position it switched off the motor powering the u/c leg.

100_1771.jpg

Here is a section of the Bare Metal Foil being placed onto the fuselage side. This is self adhesive and just need to be rubbed into place followed by picking out the panel lines. I use a cocktail stick.

100_1772.jpg

More pictures to follow in a minute.

• Like 1

Right, here are The rest of the pictures to show where I am at the moment.

Here is the port section of foil, that has now been rubbed on and the details picked out.

100_1773.jpg

Another view of the u/c leg and here you can make out the tail wheel retraction wire going from the u/c leg support brace up inside the u/c bay. Basically, as the u/c leg retract this pulls up the tail wheel assembly.

100_1782.jpg

And to finish off for now here are a few views of the kit with the canopy in place. I have drilled holes in the tail and the spine to accept the ariel, for which I have used fishing line.

100_1776.jpg

100_1779.jpg

100_1778.jpg

There is just a little tidy up of the canopy (a little fogging that needs removing) then it will be the application of the Maskol to the foiled areas prior to priming and painting.

TTFN,

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys.

The plan is to get the Maskol done and the kit primed on Saturday.

Then it will be the camo colours. Followed by removal of the Maskol to hopefully leave a nice 'chipped paintwork' look.

Steve

That baremetal foil is going to make the paint chipping realy stand out .From your earlier photo it is easy to see that this was a highly visible feature of this aircraft . Will you use it on the wing walk areas ?