Focke Wulf FW190 A-8/R2 (Airfix 1/24 conv.)

Just need a remedy for the engine/cowl/cooling fan fit problem

There speaks a man of experience. The Airfix kit is a bit of a challange in the cowling area. However, with a few tools at hand it can be done. Having done these kits before I know which way works for me and makes for a decent fit.

Basically, the problem is mostly caused by the dimpled wheel well covers. They are just to big at the front. So by hacking away a fair bit of plastic (don't forget to test fit till you get the size) and fitting the lower wing to the fuselage, it can be done. You just need tape, clamps and super-glue. Here are a couple of pictures of what I did last night. It has now set so I can get on with adding a wee bit more detail to the wheel well and opening the holes inboard of the outer gun access panels.

100_1699.jpg

100_1701.jpg

I also grafted on bits of the kit upper gun cowl to the donor one to complete the shape. This will now get tidied up before fitting.

100_1700.jpg

Jobs for today are,

Basic painting of the engine. I will only really need to make the front look good as thats all you will see.

Add details to the wheel well.

Attach main u/c legs. This will then allow me to add the wiring boxes to the main legs as well as the tail wheel retraction wire.

Attach tail planes and rudder.

Hopefully I will get some pictures of that work posted in the next day or so.

As I haven't build a 190 in a while I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed it, being as it's my favourite aircraft. ;) I may just end up doing some more. Or even finishing off the half built ones in the loft. 1/32 Hasegawa D-9, 1/24 D-9 conversion (using the Airfix kit and the Arba conversion.), 1/24 Ta152 H (using Trumpeter D-9 and scratch building the rest.) Not to mention the Tamiya A-8/R2 and the Dragon G in 1/48. :whistle:

Mind you, if I can get this finished in a couple of weeks I may just have a go at the Mistel S3C. :hmmm:

Anyhoo, T.T.F.N.,

Steve

• Like 1

Ok, my experience with this kit has shown that the engine has a tendancy to sit to far forward and to tilt downwards.

Fixing this is fairly straight forward. What I have done is this:-

Trim down the rear of part 35. This is the circular part with all the piping.

At the front of the engine the part that sits on top of part 23 needs to sit further back. All you need to do here is to reduce the depth of the square pin from the rear.

The front of part 21 needs to be trimmed at the top front face

The front of part 23 need to be reduced.

This sounds like a lot of work, but all you are doing is reduce the length of the engine by trimming it front and back.

Then what you do is place the engine on the mounting that's attached to the engine bearers and tape the armoured oil tank to the front. Then by putting the propellor hub and cooler fan in place you can adjust the sit of the engine until it sits centrally. Once you have this just simply run glue around the engine mounting to set it in place. Here are a couple of photo's that I hope will make sense of what I've just said.

Reduced part 35 at the rear.

100_1708.jpg

Enigine sitting centrally.

100_1709.jpg

If you are lucky you may not have to go through all that but in my experience you usually have to. It's not difficult, just lots of test fitting and trimming.

Any comments/hints/tips are more than welcomer

Steve

Edit; Just thought I best mention, I am using this method as I will have the panels closed. If you want to show off the engine and fuselage guns e.t.c. the best thing to do is to build the compete engine right back to the engine bearers. You can then reduce the length of them until you get the engine to sit right.

Edited by jacksdad64

Right, just a wee update before I go and throw some food down me neck and get some more done.

I have filed and drilled out the side exhausts using my trusty 'evil dentist' drill bit. Looks a lot better now I think.

100_1716.jpg

Tonight I'm going to be attaching the side exhausts and working on the gun exits on the wing leading edge and the upper trough covers.

T.T.F.N.

Steve

Drilled exhausts and gun barrels always look the biz!

Although I've drilled out the exhausts I'll not be drilling out the gun barrels.

Instead, for the Mk108's I'll be using plastic tubing for the leading edge exit, which is lower than the normal exit. I will then be using metal tube for all of the wing guns.

I've attached the side engine cowl's and the top gun trough panel. Once I have attached the trough fairings and swapped the latches around I'll post some pictures.

Steve

Edited by jacksdad64

looking great steve. Your work on the engine and cowling may not be 'sexy' but in terms of modelling, it's top notch! Turning an ill-fitting kit into one that looks right is a great skill to have in this hobby :)

Ok, Here are some pictures of the bits I have been working on.

Here is a scan from the Osprey 'Sturmgruppen book, showing the Mk108.

gun001.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures showing my attempt. There is still some shaping, filling e.t.c. to be done before I'm happy with it. You can also see the tubing I'm using for the wing guns.

100_1735.jpg

100_1736.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the cowl as it is at the moment. Again there is some shaping and filling to be done but you get the idea.

100_1734.jpg

100_1733.jpg

Hopfully I'll get some more done over the weekend. I can't wait to get the top wings on so I get get the filling and sanding done on the fuselage prior to its first coat of primer. I'm still toying with the idea of using Bare Metal Foil for the areas of chipped paint on the sides.

Any comments are more than welcome.

Steve

All falling into place nicely. Your A-8/R8 designation puzzles me though it should be A-8/R2, I think you'll find that there was never a A-8/R2 built. There is certainly no mention of them in the JG300 book in which this aircraft is shown a fair bit.

All falling into place nicely. Your A-8/R8 designation puzzles me though it should be A-8/R2, I think you'll find that there was never a A-8/R2 built. There is certainly no mention of them in the JG300 book in which this aircraft is shown a fair bit.

I am not quit sure what you mean. But Fw 190A-8 where build with both the R2 and R8 sub types. Just take a look in the focke Wulf book by Peter Rodeike, the best book published on the Focke Wulf covering the hole range of types, i think.

cheers

Jes

I am not quit sure what you mean. But Fw 190A-8 where build with both the R2 and R8 sub types. Just take a look in the focke Wulf book by Peter Rodeike, the best book published on the Focke Wulf covering the hole range of types, i think.

cheers

Jes

Yes I stand corrected you are right there was a A-8/R8 however yellow 12 was a A-8/R2. Well it was according to the JG300 book!

Not only that there are also photographs of A-8/R8s and a profile of one in the said book, obviously I had a oap moment there!

Edited by tank152