Focke Wulf FW190 A-8/R2 (Airfix 1/24 conv.)

Here are some pictures of my first entry for the GB. I will be using the Airfix 1/24 kit as a base and converting it to an A-8/R8 Sturmbock. The markings will be a mixture of kit decals and masks for the individual codes and script.

Here is the box shot and contents.

DSCF0860.jpg

DSCF0862.jpg

Here are the decals that come with the kit.

DSCF0864.jpg

Waldron seat belts.

DSCF0863.jpg

Here are some pictures showing the main kit parts. Detail is very good and for an old kit it still looks the parts. (this will be my 4th Airfix 1/24 FW190)

DSCF0866.jpg

DSCF0867.jpg

DSCF0865.jpg

Here is a picture of the kit cowl and the one I'll be using, which is from the Trumpeter 1/24 190D. This will give me the bulge that I need for an A-8.

DSCF0861.jpg

This is a selection of the reference books I'll be using.

DSCF0878.jpg

And finally some pictures of the aircraft I'll be doing.

0-Fw-190A8-6_JG300-Y12--Paul-Lixfeld-Germany-1944-0A.jpg

1-Fw-190A8-6_JG300-Y12--Paul-Lixfeld-Germany-1944-02.jpg

1-Fw-190A8-6_JG300-Y12--Paul-Lixfeld-Germany-1944-01.jpg

1-Fw-190A8-6_JG300-Y12--Paul-Lixfeld-Germany-1944-03.jpg

1-Fw-190A8-6_JG300-Y12--Paul-Lixfeld-Germany-1944-05.jpg

Roll on the weekend, so that I can get started.

Steve

Edited by jacksdad64

Looks good, was there issues with fit on this 1/24 scale model, if I remember I'm sure I read somewhere about it

Don't know. I've built three and not had a major problem yet.

Considering the kit is about 30 years old it's not bad. ;)

And we're off!

Today I will be concentrating on getting the main parts off the sprues and tidied up prior to assembly.

I am not going to add any detail to the engine as it will be buttoned up. Over the coming days I hope to get the cockpit done as well as the fuselage halves together. I think the main work is going to be the new bulged gun cowl, a decent looking cockpit, slightly altered outer wing gun area, side armour and detail up the u/c legs. Then I can concentrate on the paint job. The damaged paint work will be done by spraying on silver, masking with Maskol using a piece of Scotchbrite and a cocktail stick, spraying the main colours, removing said masking and hopefully end up with a decent result. Well, thats the plan.

I will be using Mal's Miracle Masks for the first time for the markings, so I let you see how I get on with them.

My aim is to get this done by the end of February to give me time to have a go at the Mistel.

T.T.F.N.

Steve

Edited by jacksdad64

Thanks for the comments guys.

Very little progress at the moment. Just taking stuff off the sprues, glueing the engine bits together.

Hopefully I'll post some pics later in the week when there is something interesting to show you.

Steve

p.s. I've heard that the masks for the markings are being posted, so I'll show you them once they arrive.

Ok, here are a couple of pics of the progress, so far.

I have attached the two fuselage halves together, after attaching the tail wheel leg. This allows me to get a good tidy seam and everything just slots in from the front.

I've made up the cockpit tub and the two banks of cylinders. I'm not going to spend to much time on these. The engine is not going to be to visible apart from the front. As for the cockpit, it's not to bad as per kit. Just needs a decent paint job and a set of belts. Although, when I get round to doing the seat I will be thinning the back of it and using wire torepresent the locating brackets for the shoulder belts.

100_1688.jpg

Here you can see where I have drilled out the flare tube.

100_1687.jpg

These are the armour panels to go onto the sides of the cockpit. They will be attached before I mark the panel lines although I have sanded the bevel on the sides.

100_1689.jpg

There are a couple of sink mark at the tail area that need fixing.

100_1690.jpg

I have since attached the armour panels and I'm away to do some paint work on the cockpit panels.

Till next time.

Steve

Looking good so far. Keep up the good work. I have made more of the 1/24 kits from Airfix and they all are quit good for their age. I duild the Ju 78 2 years ago for a Battle of Britain project and it was lovely.

Here is a couple of pictures of what I managed yesterday.

Starboard armour panel attached. I still have to scribe the panel lines.

Early panels had four sections, but later ones had only three.

100_1695.jpg

Couple of shots of the cockpit. Sorry they are not very clear, but I forgot to take some pictures before I attached it to the fuselage.

I will be drilling open the hand holes on the cowl.

100_1696.jpg

100_1697.jpg

Here I have drilled the holes for the attachment hooks for the shoulder straps.

100_1698.jpg

Next jobs are,

start on the u/c bay - there are a few things missing from here that I will do with card.

Outer Mk108's - the lower access panel needs a long bulge and there is a small rectangular hole next to the inner edge. You'll see what I mean when I post pictures.

Scribe fuselage panels - There are a couple of panels to be scribed on the starboard side just below the cockpit.

Attach engine - I will be adding some wiring at the front of the engine before I paint it and glue it in place

Complete the fuselage gun cowl. - I need to finish off the panel before attaching it to the fuselage.

DSCF0861.jpg

Hopefully I will add some more pictures later in the week once these jobs have been done.

I am getting into the groove with this kit so I should manage to get quite a lot done over the next week.

I was a bit concerned about the time I will have to get this done and have a go at the 1/32 Mistel S3C but it looks like I may just manage it. But time will tell.

T.T.F.N.

Steve

• Like 1

I take it the side armour panels were scratched out of sheet? It slowly taking shape. All that chipping cries out for the hairspray method, haven't you thought about giving that a try?

Yes, the panels were made out of 0.25 thick card which was bevelled at the outer edges.

Not tried the hairspray method but I think it would be to random. There is some major paint removal that is well photographed so it will need to be a bit more precise.

My thoughts are to use Bare Metal Foil on the areas being chipped. Then using a cocktail stick, Scotchbrite and Maskol I will mask off the areas I want the metal to show through. This will then be primed and the masking done again but more carefully. Then I can spray on the camo colours and by removing the, twice applied, Maskol I will hopefully end up with a mixture of chips through to the primer and some right through to the metal.

Well, that's the plan, which sounds good in theory.

Edited by jacksdad64

Yes, the panels were made out of 0.25 thick card which was bevelled at the outer edges.

Not tried the hairspray method but I think it would be to random. There is some major paint removal that is well photographed so it will need to be a bit more precise.

My thoughts are to use Bare Metal Foil on the areas being chipped. Then using a cocktail stick, Scotchbrite and Maskol I will mask off the areas I want the metal to show through. This will then be primed and the masking done again but more carefully. Then I can spray on the camo colours and by removing the, twice applied, Maskol I will hopefully end up with a mixture of chips through to the primer and some right through to the metal.

Well, that's the plan, which sounds good in theory.

The best thing about the method is that its not random! Give it a try on some scrap, you'll be surprised.