1/24th Harrier T2/4/4N

Simon Cornes

Has anyone ever produced a vac-form canopy and nose halves to produce one of these? I know Heritage will have one out in glorious resin before too long (well, maybe, in too long!) but the cheaper option would just require the nose and fin and some decent drawings (scale up from 1/48th). Same goes for the T10/12 although the canopy on that is far more difficult because of the curve in to the frame for both the hinged bits and windscreen. IMHO opinion, once you have the canopy/screen then everytthing else is possible, albeit maybe requiring a bit of daring and a lot of commitment. (NB I have posted a similar question on the Harrier SIG forum)

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Simon Cornes

Chaps

ID Models conversion was for the Revell 1/32nd scale Harrier? They are now branded under Tigger Models ? see this link, but basically ...

14 Sea Harrier FRS1 conversion for Revell Harrier GR1 £7.50

15 Harrier T4 conversion for Revell Harrier Gr1 £12.50

I think I had the Sea Harrier one listed under "John Wilkes" in the Kitography, aka Tigger.

Edited by ChocksAway

Has anyone ever produced a vac-form canopy and nose halves to produce one of these? I know Heritage will have one out in glorious resin before too long (well, maybe, in too long!) but the cheaper option would just require the nose and fin and some decent drawings (scale up from 1/48th). Same goes for the T10/12 although the canopy on that is far more difficult because of the curve in to the frame for both the hinged bits and windscreen. IMHO opinion, once you have the canopy/screen then everytthing else is possible, albeit maybe requiring a bit of daring and a lot of commitment. (NB I have posted a similar question on the Harrier SIG forum)

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon, It shouldn't be that difficult - biggest problem(s) would be the canopy's. I did something similar in 1/48th scale to Airfix's GR3 - converted into a T8. I crash moulded the two canopy's and used the kits windcsreen. I scratchbuilt the centre glazing.

I started to strip it down for a refurbishment last year - you can see from these pic's the breakdown of the component (and plastic card/mill

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

Phil's conversion was to a T10, and he did say that he used a coke bottle!

Thanks Guys. I know that it is a fairly straight forward job to identify the cockpit rear bulkhead for the GR, which is basically where the nose is separated and then extend the nose forward to take the rear cockpit but, as with any scratch build, the trick is to make the canopy so I must have a look through my references for cross sections through the canopy. In an ideal world someone would have already done this and have the bits available at a 'sensible' price but maybe not! No idea when I will get around to actually building this but I like to get my information sorted out when I can!

Cheers

• 5 years later...

Dave T,

I'm planning a 1/24 Airfix GR3 conversion to a T4.  It's all about knowing where to cut the fuse and how long the plug needs to be.

I fancy painting it up as one of the Arctic Harriers - sloppy white / green.  I think they look really cool (pun intended!) 

Could I be cheeky and ask if I could have a copy of the plans too?

Regards

Gremlin807

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gremlin807 said:

I'm planning a 1/24 Airfix GR3 conversion to a T4.

There are some pictures of the T.4 rear cockpit and panel in this excellent book, https://www.aviationmegastore.com/img/prod/full/0/a/79029_0.jpg

The same book also shows how the T.2/T.4 nose area was elongated.

Funny, I was pondering on what to do with my 24th Harrier and was contemplating scratchbulding a whole new cockpit section, built up with plasticard formers and stringers, and skinned in thin plasticard - to give scale structure to it.   Could this be a way forward for a T.4 conversion?