A Super Etendard naval strike fighter

This is a Heller kit in 1/72 scale of the Super Etendard naval strike fighter in French Navy service and carrying the dangerous AM39 Exocet anti-ship missile. In the 1980's, several countries around the world suffered painful damage or loss from the Super Etendard/Exocet combination (or the Exocet carried by another aircraft).

The Super Etendard remains in service in France and Argentina, as does the Exocet missile with many countries.

6699109377_8bd3357868_o.jpg

Photo Series 1-14-12 007mod1XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

6699109973_81b10ac092_o.jpg

Photo Series 1-14-12 006mod5XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

6699109673_68d01ea1b3_o.jpg

Photo Series 1-14-12 005mod1XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

6699109033_94e4c473c7_o.jpg

Photo Series 1-14-12 003mod2XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

Mike

Whew, many thanks to everyone for such flattering comments on this naval fighter. The basic and amateur build here is hardly deserving of such, but I certainly appreciate such friendly and encouraging messages !

My understanding is that the Academy 1/72 Super Etendard is a separate tooling than this older Heller kit from the 1980's, but I am not sure of the possible differences between them.

Mike

Thanks again, everyone.

Hi Mike

Great looking model and fantastic images. How did you achieve the superimposition of the model onto the backdrop?

Alpha Delta, in these shots, the strike fighter was actually placed in front of various rear-projected scenes. This allows the lighting and features in the background to actually interact and reflect off the aircraft a bit, perhaps much as it might do in real life. The background scenes here are both real photographs, or scenes created in the computer ...... or a combination of both.

I used a "split-exposure" technique which involves the camera on a tripod, a time-exposure and a way to adjust the lighting on the Super Etendard and the background separately.

A photo-program was used to eliminate the suspension of the model and add a few features like navagation, lights, a shadow on the water, etc.

There are a number of ways to get a model into a picture to attempt a "realistic" look and all of them have advantages (and drawbacks). And, of course, a simple. straightforward photo showing a completed model on the workbench is many times the most appropriate of all !

Mike

Thanks again, everyone.

Alpha Delta, in these shots, the strike fighter was actually placed in front of various rear-projected scenes. This allows the lighting and features in the background to actually interact and reflect off the aircraft a bit, perhaps much as it might do in real life. The background scenes here are both real photographs, or scenes created in the computer ...... or a combination of both.

I used a "split-exposure" technique which involves the camera on a tripod, a time-exposure and a way to adjust the lighting on the Super Etendard and the background separately.

A photo-program was used to eliminate the suspension of the model and add a few features like navagation, lights, a shadow on the water, etc.

There are a number of ways to get a model into a picture to attempt a "realistic" look and all of them have advantages (and drawbacks). And, of course, a simple. straightforward photo showing a completed model on the workbench is many times the most appropriate of all !

Mike

Thanks very much for your explanation, Mike. The pictures are great.