CMR Scimitar x 23rd October 18, some progress

I meant to post a WIP before Christmas but some serious personal things got in the way. I did a dump of photographs from my iPhone and Nikon so I thought I might as well post where I have got to.

First off - these are the most detailed CMR kits I have seen and they are certainly a generation ahead of the Buccaneer models - even the last two. The level of detail is superb in the cockpit, panel lines, details etc and is more akin to a Akai resin model (although nothing is as nice as the AKI Sea Fury from any manufacturer including Tamiya).

Anyway onto the WIP - shot of one of the boxes. I have all three and the folded wing option from CMR.

IMG_1294.jpg

Very extensive contents in resin, pre-painted PE, PE (all PE from Eduard) and very detailed decals.

IMG_1293.jpg

The only problem area as such was inside the intakes and this needed some filing (semi round rat tail was very useful here) and a small amount of filler. The good news is that this is a lot easier that having separate intakes and then a join line where sanding would have destroyed the lovely panel line detail.

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

Regards,

Edited by crobinsonh

I then moved onto to protecting all of the delicate but beautifully moulded external intakes etc.

IMG_1306.jpg

Then I realised I would need to paint some of the external areas first to avoid a nightmare later. Jet pipe area first!

IMG_1314.jpg

A blast of undercoat into the air brake areas

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

Then the final spray of Alclad jet exhaust as this area is aways dirty on the Scimitar

DSC_0299-1.jpg

Lovley.

I'll be drooling all over this thread.

Hopefully Airfix will release this beauty in 1/48 scale soon......

Good luck with your build.

/Bosse :Tasty:

Edited by Marlin
  • Like 1

I've got one of these in the stash so will be watching closely. Looking forward to see how you go about this kit.

I will be doing something a little simpler in resin first as i haven't made that many resin kits. (I have the Supermarine Attacker lined up at the top of the to do pile)

Some small updates from this mornings work!

DSC_0278.jpg

With a pound coin for size reference. The detail is exquisite and very accurate as I have the Scimitar book by David Gibbings with the pilots notes included (plus another four books on the Scimitar).

DSC_0279-1.jpg

You may have noticed that only one of the cockpits has a headrest - that is because I broke the other 2 and need to replace them!

Onto ejection seats as the Wife is out today so I have a free day for a change

Edited by crobinsonh

Some more work on the side consoles this afternoon. I have used grey and highlights so that you can see something when closed up. Although not strictly accurate there is so much detail in the cockpit that you need to see some of it when all assembled.

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

There is some extra detail to be added from the PE yet.

Regards

The Scimitar is the most beautiful jet ever made in my own humble opinion and yours are looking good so far. I`ll be following this thread with great interest as I have two of these kits and am hoping to get the third one too, but I feel a bit nervous about starting them. By the way, the built up Scimitar on the CMR stand at Telford was built by Colin Pickett who is a really good modeller, as you can see,

All the best for now and keep up the good work,

Tony O

Nice project! The CMR Scimitar kit is definitely on my wish list, so I'll be following this very closely. You're off to a great start, the cockpits are looking great. Resin is sometimes a pain to work with, but you can't deny how exquisite the detail is!

Cheers,

Bill

A few more updates.

First off the Eduard coloured PE was painted the wrong colour and I do not think it can even be called scale black so I repainted with a darker gray oil paint. Here is the comparison shot..

DSC_0293.jpg

And here is a closer view.

DSC_0358.jpg

I also made some progress on the ejector seats. Just wish it had been "stuck" on straight to the peg!

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

Two more to go and then all the left over details for the canopy tub - rudder pedals, control column, IP coaming and various PE throttles and such like...

As I said at the start - IMHO incredible detail for a 1/72nd model.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

A little more progress on Sunday evening. Apologies for the quality but all where taken with phone camera.

Getting closer to finishing all 3 seats.

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

Here is the amazing intake detail from PE - unlike a lot of PE this is quite stiff and therefore when you twist 90 degrees for the fins they do not snap off etc. This is all part of the amazing attention to detail. These are a big step up IMHO from the Buccaneer (and I have all 6 of those). The main intakes have complete internals that effectively form a seamless main intake.

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

Rear intake and detail

IMG_1491.jpg

Front U/C bay installed.

IMG_1505.jpg

...and finally everything glues in including the main U/C housing and arrestor hook detail. Now just need to get the fuselage assembled.

IMG_1487.jpg

I have the 1/48th Dynavector Scimitar which is a great vacform model but not a patch on the level of detail of these.

Regards

Edited by crobinsonh