BR Steam/Tyne Dock 9F

leewhitty

Great work. I have a load of photo's and books showing those Q6/Q7 and 9F's slogging their way past places like Annfield Plain - some of the most evocative steam shots ever taken

Andy

• 8 months later...

Great weathering. I have a few engines to do myself and I hope they turn out looking as good.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Love the two weathered locos at the top of this thread, have wanted to build a British loco for some time, can anyone tell me where to obtain a kit from (injection molded)

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see weathered locos, not in to railway modelling myself, but they look interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Love the two weathered locos at the top of this thread, have wanted to build a British loco for some time, can anyone tell me where to obtain a kit from (injection molded)

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Jeff.

Dapol have a lot of the ex-Airfix\Kitmaster locos (among other stuff), they are good fun builds even though they are based on 50 odd year old moulds

Quick search on eBay or Dapol website should get you started

Very nicely done. You've reproduced the characteristic white stains down from the top feed and I like the way the upper surfaces of the tender seem to have captured more of the sooty fallout from a hard-worked engine than the lower sides.

I never saw a 9F in BR service (so feel free to disregard entirely!) but based on my memories of the run-down steam locomotives I did see, I'd just offer two observations:

a. the brownish tinge around the smokebox and cylinders doesn't quite ring true for me for in-use locos: it's suggestive of surface rust.

b. I would have expected the cab windows, like aircraft canopies, to be kept pretty clean (though of course the driver is on the other side from that shown), regardless of the external condition of the loco.

But well done for trying to reproduce the appalling condition of locos in the last days of BR steam. Incidentally one of the nice touches in the film Shadowlands (Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger) that I've never seen commented on is that the Castle-class loco in one of the shots is not resplendent in shining paintwork and gleaming brass but noticeably grubby. I think I heard that only the part of the loco that came into shot was so treated! If preservationists are really after authenticity, maybe a few locos should be retained in BR dirty grey!

• 2 weeks later...

Very nicely done. You've reproduced the characteristic white stains down from the top feed and I like the way the upper surfaces of the tender seem to have captured more of the sooty fallout from a hard-worked engine than the lower sides.

I never saw a 9F in BR service (so feel free to disregard entirely!) but based on my memories of the run-down steam locomotives I did see, I'd just offer two observations:

a. the brownish tinge around the smokebox and cylinders doesn't quite ring true for me for in-use locos: it's suggestive of surface rust.

b. I would have expected the cab windows, like aircraft canopies, to be kept pretty clean (though of course the driver is on the other side from that shown), regardless of the external condition of the loco.

But well done for trying to reproduce the appalling condition of locos in the last days of BR steam. Incidentally one of the nice touches in the film Shadowlands (Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger) that I've never seen commented on is that the Castle-class loco in one of the shots is not resplendent in shining paintwork and gleaming brass but noticeably grubby. I think I heard that only the part of the loco that came into shot was so treated! If preservationists are really after authenticity, maybe a few locos should be retained in BR dirty grey!

I dunno - there were plenty of rusty coloured engines in 1967-8! Incidentally, some preserved lines actually are weathering their loco's - with poster paint(!) to replicate the last few years of BR-Steam!

I read recently that 'trainspotters' (a sadly disrespected breed for some reason!) actually wiped the cab numbers clean - when at a station, to allow spotters down the line to 'clock' that loco in their Ian Allen book! The loco crew seemed to be happy enough to let them get on with it!

Edited by Bill Clark

• 1 year later...

The window at the front cabside was rarely used for driving purposes as it was too near the footplate and firehole etc. and the rearmost cab windows were invariably left open for the footplateman to hang out of to view signals and during shunting. the windows in the cab front were kept immaculately for sighting purposes.

Many of the 9Fs left at the end were grouped (including 92203) at Birkenhead - over 70 at one point - and many had rusty motion as whilst the docks were still busy there was not enough work to intensively diagram all the locos - so rusty motion was not uncommon - try treating a so-called low maintenance - diesel like that - unused for weeks then put onto a 1200 ton unbraked iron ore train down Storeton Bank and on to Shotton Steelworks.

• Like 1