Leander Class Frigates

I'm looking for a good reference book on these ships - any suggestions please?

The Ian Allan Modern Combat Ships series was quite good, the Leander volume was the first one. Covers pretty much all aspectsof the ships, design, developement, operation, different vessels & navys, plenty of B&W photos & diagrams. 112pp, published 1984.

Can't offhand think of anything better than the Modern Combat Ships book mentioned by Dave. If you can pick it up cheaply, Peter Hodges' old Airfix Magazine Guide 7: Warship Modelling (Patrick Stephens Limited, 1975, ISBN 0 85059 210 0) might come in useful. It has an 8-page chapter on superdetailing the Airfix 1/600 Leander kit. Whether or not you're using that as a base, some of the info eg sketches on detail differences between ships, detailed painting instructions may come in useful. Note that the book was written fairly early in the ships' careers so the Ikara, Exocet and Seawolf conversions are not covered.

There is a very good series of articles in the Warship Quarterly Vols 1 & 2 on the Leanders,that is if you can get hold of copies.

As an aside the new Type 26 frigates are rumoured to be called Leanders,I hope so,I love those names,Dido,Apollo etc.

Cheers Phil

and the one Dave suggested.........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Combat-Ship...6400&sr=1-9

Neil

Same page as clicking on the Leander link in my previous post :D

Links in text show up as underlined :) Run your cursor over underlined text to see if there's a link to follow, there usually is!

A search for Leander Frigate at Bookfinders shows a few more books onn the subject, but as I don't have them / haven't seen them I wouldn't know whether to recommend them.

Hope you find what you want

Dave.

There is a very good series of articles in the Warship Quarterly Vols 1 & 2 on the Leanders,that is if you can get hold of copies.

As an aside the new Type 26 frigates are rumoured to be called Leanders,I hope so,I love those names,Dido,Apollo etc.

Cheers Phil

NB Phil said Volume, not Issue! I don't have Issues 5 or 6 but the article in Issue 7 (July 1978) on Leander frigate conversions by Peter Hodges (that man again) is excellent. 10 pages, with sketches detailing the mods, good large clear overhead shots of Naiad (Ikara), Andromeda (gun), Arethusa (Ikara) and Cleopatra (Exocet), plus close-up photos of some of the detail fittings (SCOT antennas, A/S torpedo tubes, EW antenna on Ikara mastheads). Nothing on Seawolf coversions beyond mentioning that Andromeda had been taken in hand for refit. Couldn't find any other big Leander articles in any of issues 1-4 or 7-12.

Warship really was a class publication when Raven and Roberts were in charge. At a painfully class price for a poor student.

Same page as clicking on the Leander link in my previous post :D

Links in text show up as underlined :) Run your cursor over underlined text to see if there's a link to follow, there usually is!

A search for Leander Frigate at Bookfinders shows a few more books onn the subject, but as I don't have them / haven't seen them I wouldn't know whether to recommend them.

Hope you find what you want

Dave.

oops lol,you learn something new every day......Neil :doh:

And on this subject - is there anyone else paying for a 1/350 scale model of this to be brought out?

Any version will do - either I can scratchbuild or White Ensign can then do all the various versions, and even backdate to the Rothesey class!

I can only wait and :pray:

Gee up HobbyBoss/Trumpeter!

No worries Neil, we're all learning, just pointing it out for others that hadn't spotted it :)

Your monica has me puzzled - are you Fat Albert or Fatal Bert? :confused:

Dave

fat albert lol.spend my on shifts maintaining c130's

fat albert lol.spend my on shifts maintaining c130's

Phew, that's a relief, had visions of an overweight homicidal modeller there! :rofl:

To get this back slightly more on topic, the only kits I know of in 1/700 of Leaners are by MT Miniatures, they do 4 different fits and are on the more basic/simplified side which may be better for beginners - they could with a bit of work and some WEM photo etch make nice models though, and they're not too pricey.

And on this subject - is there anyone else paying for a 1/350 scale model of this to be brought out?

Any version will do - either I can scratchbuild or White Ensign can then do all the various versions, and even backdate to the Rothesey class!

I too would like a 350th Leander.With the 30th anniversary of the Falklands war coming up ,I hope it tempts someone to release a kit of one.(along with a Type 42 of course!!)

Cheers Phil

Well, if WEM did one in 1:350, it would be a re-issue.

Was available back in 1999 as HMS Apollo

(Always wanted to do HMS Minerva as my Uncle served aboard her.)

Cheers Phil

They are great names, but there are a couple that you just know nobody (especially the media) will spell or pronounce properly. Euryalus and Charybdis spring to mind. It would be great to see them used again though - there's oodles of history behind them all.

But then, aren't the T26s due to be the "F" class, ie all have names starting with F? We had the Darings, then the Echo-class survey ships, so F is up next. Also some good names there, though it's hard to imagine Furious without Glorious and/or Courageous, or Fearless without Intrepid etc. I'd prefer the Leanders, of course.

• 4 months later...

Atlantic Models are working on Type 41's, Type 61's, Type 81's and the many and various Type 12's. So watch this site carefully over the next year or so.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I served on a Leander, HMS Andromeda, and have several books on them.

Try, Modern Combat Ships 1, Leander Class by Cdr C.J.Meyer ISBN 0-7110-1385-3

Leander Class Frigates by Richard Osbourne and David Sowdon ISBN 0-905617-56-8

Leander Class Frigates by Jim Allaway ISBN 0-11-772802-0

They are full of pictures and the history of their developement from the type 12.

I have a 1/96 Androm and a 1/72 Cleopatra and Liverpool.

• 1 month later...

I was on Penelope 85-87 & we used to make the names up because we couldn't pronounce them, used to really upset the Skipper and Jimmy when you were bridge watchkeeper!

For example; Cherry B, Double D, Andy, Mincer, Uey [as in Huey] and we were Pen a lope. Ah, the 7th Frigate Squadron, what whits we were! At least I think that's what the Chief Yeoman called us!