Aeroclub 1/72nd Lightning T.5 conversion.

Acky190

Hi all,

I started my conversion last night, and was wondering if anyone else had done one and had and pointers or a WIP with photo's etc? I haven't got the instructions for mine and have struggled to find reference photos!

Hi all,

I started my conversion last night, and was wondering if anyone else had done one and had and pointers or a WIP with photo's etc? I haven't got the instructions for mine and have struggled to find reference photos!

I built one twenty odd years ago when it was first issued - grafted on to an Airfix F3 I think? Built as a 92 Sqn T4... No pics I'm afraid, but its a decent conversion set and not that difficult, once you've dealt with the vac-formed fuselages and hood. Regarding reference photo's...do you mean reference photo's of the kit, or the actual T4/5...if you mean the latter then "do a google" for the Vertical Reality Lightning website....

I built one twenty odd years ago when it was first issued - grafted on to an Airfix F3 I think? Built as a 92 Sqn T4... No pics I'm afraid, but its a decent conversion set and not that difficult, once you've dealt with the vac-formed fuselages and hood. Regarding reference photo's...do you mean reference photo's of the kit, or the actual T4/5...if you mean the latter then "do a google" for the Vertical Reality Lightning website....

I was after any ref pics of the conversion, the only one I could find is of a complete built conversion :(

Hi all,

I've got one unmade in the stash. I can scan the instructions for you if you like?

I was after any ref pics of the conversion, the only one I could find is of a complete built conversion :(

I don't remember it being that difficult a conversion, you should be okay. Just use the vacform part fuselage instead of th kits fuselage. You can either use or ignore the intake trunking....

I've got one unmade in the stash. I can scan the instructions for you if you like?

Cheers for the offer Duncan, I have got 2 sets winging their way over from the UK as we speak thanks to RossM! Bill I think I will give the intake trunking a go, there is a fair old bit of scratch building to do in the cockpit though. The panel lines on the fus do seem very woolly though, the question now is scribe or not? On the colour scheme front I really want to do a brightly coloured NMF aircraft, any ideas anyone?

Cheers for the offer Duncan, I have got 2 sets winging their way over from the UK as we speak thanks to RossM! Bill I think I will give the intake trunking a go, there is a fair old bit of scratch building to do in the cockpit though. The panel lines on the fus do seem very woolly though, the question now is scribe or not? On the colour scheme front I really want to do a brightly coloured NMF aircraft, any ideas anyone?

Has to be 226OCU from Middleton St George, lots of red and white.

Has to be 226OCU from Middleton St George, lots of red and white.

Modeldecal sheet 78 still available from Hannants has this and other T4/T5 options. I think this one is a T4 though so you need to shorten the cable ducts and change to a pointy fin. Modeldecal also did a 74 Sqdn T4 with black fin but that sheet seems to have gone OOP.

There are plenty of other choices in NM, overall green topsides and grey/green topsides. Don't know about the later grey schemes, I don't remember any and i'm not at home to check.

In the meantime try My photo here

RossM

There are pic's here of almost all RAF T5's (and others of course) here.....

Lightnings

The T5's weren't as colourful generally as the earlier marks. Toning down orders came in about the same time as they entered service. The 226 OCU/145 (shadow) Sqn markings are probably as colourful as you'll get. NMF with red spine and fin with white sections - and with dayglo T-bands. Akrotiri Station Flights T5 had a pink fin and rudder. Otherwise its NMF (5,11,23,29,56,74,111 Sqns; 65(shadow) and 145(Shadow squadrons) and the LTF). Camouflage DG/DSG on 5,11 and the LTF. These did have the MSG/BG/LACG applied in the 1980's. One aircraft was painted Dark Green as a trial(11 & LTF) and there was one painted in DSG (LTF) also as a trial. The EPTS had a T5 with a red spine and outer wings.