1/32 Dragon Bf 109E

hacker

The wife is a smart cookie. She learned enough from me that she noticed that l was gathering information and pieces for a 1/32 Revell Spitfire Mk I l am doing and knew that the 109E would be a companion kit for it. Not only did she get it for me but she found it at a price of $25!!!. So once l get pictures l will be posting this build on this GB so stay tuned

Now she's definitely a keeper! ;)

Look forward to this - was going to get one last year at Telford but blagged a couple of Eduard E-4s for a bargain price.

Hmmm - perhaps you've just decided my entry into this GB <wanders loft-side> We could compare notes?

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1026.jpg

Well I started this kit and been working on it while doing the 1/48 British Apache.

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

I got some of the cockpit assembled and painted. Have some more detail work to be done on this. I used Tamiya RLM grey for the cockpit colour

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

Got some of the side wall done as well. Currently working on the instrument panel. I got some MDC German instrument dials I had kicking around so I will use them there. I also been toying with the idea of using a Aires DB 605 engine in this plane. The 605 and the 601 are similar in looks. From what I can find out the only differences between the two in real life was the cylinder size. Not sold on it yet as I might still use the kit version.

Well that is all for now

back to modeling as I have only tomorrow then back to the grind of life

later

Did some work on the instrument panel today.

GAI-109E3-replica.jpg

cockpit1092.jpg

here we have two examples of the Emil instrument panel. One is new with original instruments while the other is preserved example. Both say the same thing about colours of the panel and the instruments

Dragon109Einstrucmentpaintinginstructions3.jpg

Yet the kit instructions says different. Which do I go with? Obviously the real examples I have as they seem to be accurate

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

I painted the instrument panel with RLM 66 then the instruments black and the other colours. Once dried I got my punch set out and proceed to install the instrument decals. In the past I have found that some instrument decals are printed with just black leaving what should be white markings void of colour. So in the past as l have now I first punch out disks from a white decal sheet. This not only save guards against non white instrument marking but enhances the black as well.

IMG_1040copy.jpg

Then the instrument decals are applied. Once they are dried I seal them in with drops of future with the added bonus of have the look of glass in them.

This is as far I will get for now as it back to the grind tomorrow

later

• 1 month later...

well it has been a while since l last posted with progress but you all know sometimes work and life tends to take time away from the work bench. I also decided to not to use the PE seat belts and replace them with RB Productions seat belts so l was waiting for those as well.

IMG_1059a.jpg

IMG_1057a.jpg

once l got them in the mail which surprising enough only took 5 days from Radub l assembled them then installed them in the Dragon seat. I think they look much better then the PE set in the kit.

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

I did some dry brushing of a lighter shade of RLM 02 and some aluminum where the paint would be worn off by the pilot's boots. Then I gave it a black wash to dirty it up a bit then installed the seat. I am now at the stage to install the whole cockpit assembly into the fuselage and move on to the engine.

That will be my next installment so that is all now

later

• 1 month later...

so we are back at it again trying to finish this build among other things going on here

IMG_1081.jpg

I decided to do a couple of extra things to the kit while l was building it. l had a set of Eduard PE parts for the older Hasegawa kit so l decided to use some it. First off l wanted to drop the flaps a bit this would entail also lowering the flaps on the radiators. l cut out the existing molded in doors and replaced them with the one on the PE set

IMG_1085a.jpg

IMG_1086a.jpg

IMG_1087a.jpg

l also wanted the engine left exposed. The cowling has no details on the inside so l had to duplicate this as well if l was going to leave them off.

IMG_1091a.jpg

IMG_1092a.jpg

l have get to dirty them up yet but here what they look like at present

IMG_1093a.jpg

IMG_1094a.jpg

IMG_1095a.jpg

IMG_1096a.jpg

Speaking of engines this is how far l have gotten on that too. At the moment it is just too clean and DB 601s were not a clean engine by any stretch of the imagination. I will have to work on dirtying it up a bit.

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

The main bulk of the plane is assembled with all the bits and pieces added. l have the canopy masked off but yet the mask and cover up the exposed front yet but l should be able to put paint on it real soon

Well that is the progress l have made so far. Hope it is up to standards here and as always comments are always welcome

later

Just catching up with this. The seatbelts look really natural, they seem to hang just right and bulge around the buckles as well. Look forward to seeing the paint job!

Edited by Will Vale

• 3 weeks later...

managed to get some camo work done on the Emil

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

l first l airbrushed RLM02 onto the canopy so that color comes through underneath. after that l used some Tamiya fine surface primer on it. l started to do the camo scheme when l realize l should do some pre shading before l did the splinter scheme of RLM 02/71/65. No harm done here as it turn out ok

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

here is the plane with the camouflage scheme on. l used an old brush to do the blotch work done on the sides of the plane. l used the old bottle of future l have here to give it a clear coat.

note l have a new bottle of Pledge floor finish aka future and l used it on the Apache l am doing. l found no difference between the two

hope you like the paint job l done and of course always want to hear what you fellas think of it

time for bed now as l get up at 5am

later

Edited by hacker

• 2 weeks later...

Did some more work on my Messerschmidt this weekend. Been busy at work for the last couple of weeks but this weekend l was let off the hook. I spent some nights at the work bench putting on the decals and all the little markings

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

Then I did a little experiment on this one. I had read in an old issue of Fine Scale Modeler about a P-51 mustang someone build and to high light the panel lines and rivets they used water based liquid black tempera paint. The idea was once dried you just wipe it off with a damp cloth. So l went out and bought 23 ml bottle and did a wash with it on the Emil. It has to be done on the gloss surface in order for it to work. Once dried l wiped it off then sealed it with some dull coat as l would normally do to flatten the finish

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

Here are the results of my experiment. I think it turn out ok as it did high light the panels and some of the rivets. Now l have to move on and finish this thing before l grow too old

later

• 2 weeks later...

it is down to the wire and just a few things to add

IMG_1138-1.jpg

IMG_1136-1.jpg

IMG_1135-1.jpg

Got the engine dried brushed and washed to give it that dirty been used rough look

IMG_1139-1.jpg

Then l installed it in the Emil

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...p;#entry1043041

it is now in the gallery but l will post the pics here too

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

Well that is done maybe l can get that Apache done so l can move on to other builds

later