The Skipper's third go...."3rd WIRE TRAP BABY!......honey - I'm home!"

Some nice work there. On the subject of the airbrakes I am sure that I have seen a photo somewhere that shows them open whilst on the ground with the engines shut down. I will have a look.

^^ the mustang is done :)

so back to the 'cats :):):)

^ I've seen pics of most aircraft types with the slats n flaps out when on the ground, including the tomcat, so I'm sure the airbrakes wont be any different - I might just as well go ahead and open then up anyway, as for a bit of quick maintenance or something, but a pic would be nice, cheers

• 5 weeks later...

...ok then...a final push...here's where I'm at with this;

hasagawatomcatApril112001.jpg

hasagawatomcatApril112002.jpg

its all filler atm after hacking and sawing to make the parts fit - this is one of the most poorly designed kits I have ever come across - awful kit imho.

I can fix the probs but thats not the point.....somebody in Japan should have committed harry-carry for this.....

anyway...hopefully I'll get this one done by the end of the week...I *think*...or hope...I'm over the worst of this now so the rest should be reasonably straightforward.

famous last words....

oh, I put the exhaust thingys on and one or two other bits so some sanding in a bit and then paint.

I think...all the masking is a pain in the butt but never mind :)

more pics 2moz

1st shot of primer......

April32008001.jpg

April32008002.jpg

I was thinking that, provided I dont get any problems (yeah right...) I would get this one done by Sunday, but since we just got an extension of one week, then I'm more confident of finishing it :)

more pics 2moz....

first chot of light grey, a bit of touching up here n there then a second coat...thats tonight's job. Hopefully I can then start putting the markings on...hopefully....

TomcatApr32012001_2.jpg

TomcatApr32012002-1.jpg

indeed.....fortunately the paint is very quick to touch-dry but that can be treacherous....I will need to micro-mesh it all and smooth it out, add some weathering patches n blobs n stuff (not much tho' - this is after all a movie star) but before I can use the mesh, the paint has to be really REALLY dry, so I'm hoping we get some more warm weather; I'll probably hang it on the washing line out of reach of my 'other' tomcat (and his sister).....

indeed.....fortunately the paint is very quick to touch-dry but that can be treacherous....I will need to micro-mesh it all and smooth it out, add some weathering patches n blobs n stuff (not much tho' - this is after all a movie star) but before I can use the mesh, the paint has to be really REALLY dry, so I'm hoping we get some more warm weather; I'll probably hang it on the washing line out of reach of my 'other' tomcat (and his sister).....

You could always place it under a desk fan for an hour or so. Works wonders!

yeah I guess....it's amazing what a few days free of other things can do....

here's the latest from late last night....

TomcatApril42012001.jpg

TomcatApril42012004.jpg

I've dome some of the weathering but the rest will wait until after the markings are on - next up is finishing the black parts and then attaching the gear and other parts.

Stop by 2moz for more :)

ok then....it's on it's own 3 feet, has some weathering and it's juuuussst about ready for some markings.....

so - would I have finished this by tomorrow if we hadnt got the extension?

Possibly.

But then again....still got to do the flaps and slats, which are painted and ready btw, the gear doors, pylons and weapons, plus a few other details, so the extra week has saved me:)

TomcatApr62012005.jpg

TomcatApr62012007.jpg

TomcatApr62012008.jpg

while this is settling a bit, I'll crack on with the other one....

which might get done in the next week...maybe.

hmmm....yes....well.....

here's the weekend's work -

tomcatapril92012008-1.jpg

tomcatapril92012007-1.jpg

tomcatapril92012009-1.jpg

and I found a problem.....

I *was* going to put a gun in it....since doing the bay and cracking on, something was in the back of my mind, but I could'nt quite figure what was bothering me. Then last night, I had an ephinany...

(I have been told to stop taking these, apparently they're harmful to my mental state)

Hasagawa, helpfully I thought, had left the bay doors as separate pieces. Trouble is - they ain't right.....and it's too late now to fix it, so some remedial repair work is needed and I'll put the gun in the much re-worked airfix kit, which isnt going to be done by next sunday.

tomcatapril92012011-1.jpg

tonight's job - finish off the bay door and some nifty repainting work to be done....then lights, small details, etc, and with a bit of luck, it'll be done before next weekend....

:)

oh....and I'm a bit concerned about the fit of the right wing.....neiother are glued in, the left one slots in quite neatly, but the right has too big a gap at the front.

Any suggestions as to how to fix it would be appreciated

ta.

Firstly,

Looking good, you should be able to get that hatch squared away, we don't doubt your abilities!

Secondly, the wing. It might be that you need to 'push' the wing in more. I'm not being very clear here I realise, but if you look at the joint, it has two 'nubs' that fit tightly around the central post inside the wing glove. It may just be a case of a little bit more force* to get it to click into place.

I'll post a pic later to demonstrate what I mean.

*I obviously in no way will be liable for any damage inflicted upon the Tomcat!

*I obviously in no way will be liable for any damage inflicted upon the Tomcat!

wanna bet?

seriously tho' I have been giving it a shove in all the right places (one reason why the slats n flaps arent on yet....they will be the last thing....it is 'clicking' into place ok but the fit isnt that good. At least thats the impression I get.

well.....the other problem I have is the observant will notice there is no number '207' on the nose....

the kit was second hand some time ago and was completely complete....except for the right style of number....

so if anybody has a spare they dont want, a good home is waiting....

Repair and remedial work almost done. Still need to tidy it up a bit and I've decided to put the bigger stars n bars on.

The missile pylons are a nightmare (most of this kit is actually) but they are done, ready to be attached. Once I'm done with all the bits n pieces for the main fuselage, I can attach them and anything else (lights, antennae etc) then the wings.

If I can figure out how to make the right on fit better....after that, slats and flaps and it will be done; anticipate landing by Friday, more pics tomorrow.

Anybody got a spare pair of numbers for the nose?

er....no idea....I guess they would have yellow borders...I'll have to go look at the movie (again...) and see how they were in that.

latest pics; gun bay hatches closed, bigger stars n bars on - now it's looking like the movie star :)

TomcatApril112012003-1.jpg

TomcatApril112012001-1.jpg

TomcatApril112012002-1.jpg

still to do -

finish off those weapons pylons (awful fit)

canopy (fit doesnt look brilliant)

all the little lumps n bumps n lights (yeah right....seriously tiny)

I have a feeling that the next couple of days is going to be spent on these - my aim is get it done tonight and tomorrow night (Friday), final pics up Saturday.

That way I have a day in reserve.....I may need it....

:huh: