The Skipper's third go...."3rd WIRE TRAP BABY!......honey - I'm home!"

It's only a cat hair........

"sigh".....since the tub is still as it was yesterday, I'll take another then and post it later.....

the little yellow and black circular thingys, along with some other sundry extra bits I'll put on when it's secure and installed in the fuselage, as I can see these been snagged and broken during handling.

Good plan. The handles on mine have been bent that much, they're due to snap off any minute. Although now they're protected somewhat in the closed up space they should be ok.

Looking good so far though, even with the cat pube.

Edited by easyAl

ok then.....here are new pics of the tub, with some additions from yesterday and without the cat pub that isnt a cat pube or any other beings pube either....

tomcatseatsandconcorde004.jpg

tomcatseatsandconcorde005.jpg

tomcatseatsandconcorde006.jpg

I'm not really convinced about the seat belts - they dont lok quite right to me so I might do something about them before I call the tub done and can enclose it.

As for the round things, yeah I'm not going to add anything like those until I'm sure they will be safe....apart from anything else, they're so small I dont want to lose them if they were to break off.

Edited by kev1n

ok then...I'm calling this done, at least as far as I want it to be - I'll still add the missing bits when it's enclosed coz if I add them now I know I'll break them...

meantime - looking at some pics I think there is more seat belt that hasagawa depicted so additions made to seat belts -

hope you like;

HasalaterTomcatpitcomplete002.jpg

HasalaterTomcatpitcomplete001.jpg

I'm off to bring both the afx seats n tub and the earlier hasa seats n tub to as close to this as possible, so If I have anything wrong with this one, you better tell me now

:)

edited for typos - I really REALLY need to type better....

Edited by kev1n

Cracking work capt'n! Especially considering it's 1/72!

I wouldn't worry too much about the seat belts. They are in the same position in the early 1/48 kit that I'm building and wasn't convinced it was quite right until in my search for resources I found a couple of pictures with them in the same place.

yes the canopies will be open, worry is probably too strong a word but they look a bit better to me now :)

ty for the kind comments

this is the Hasagawa kit....the airfix kit is in a separate topic....but new pics added now so go check it out :)

starting - and almost done - with the nose gear bay, which has to go under the pit on the hasagawa kit;

the comparision between the Hasagawa kit and the airfix kit is quite marked but the gear bays of the average jet aircraft are awesomely complex - even Hasagawa didnt include all of it, so I added *some* more of it, using stretched sprue and plastic card.

hasagawaTomcatnosegearbay001.jpg

hasagawaTomcatnosegearbay003.jpg

I'm still deciding whether or not to glue the leg in; I have some more cabling to add to it and it has to go from points in the bay and down the leg.

I have a feeling it will be easier to add it now before I close up the bay but I am a bit concerned about breaking the leg during handling...

any advice or comments appreciated

ty

Your gear bay looks very good. There is a lot of missing detail, in Hase's 1/48s and even Trumpy's 1/32. Thanks to the photo in Mark's thread, I only discovered the oleos for the gear doors the other day! With skills like this, there is no limits to what you can add! As for me, I'm starting another!

Joel

thank you :)

Yeah, there is still a *lot* more to add - how much more I stick in there is another matter - especially considering I have to build a complete bay for the airfix kit; the benefit of this one is that it is serving as a kind of pathfinder for the afx kit....

...and there are the mains as well...

Great detail so far kev1n :speak_cool:

I'm still deciding whether or not to glue the leg in; I have some more cabling to add to it and it has to go from points in the bay and down the leg.

I have a feeling it will be easier to add it now before I close up the bay but I am a bit concerned about breaking the leg during handling...

any advice or comments appreciated

ty

I always leave the undercarriage til last on my Hasegawa builds. The only tricky bit, I found was connecting the rod #C15 to the nose gear after fixing the nose gear in - now I skip that part from the assembly.

errmm...yeah.....keeping that in mind.....

I decided to stick the nose leg in anyway; since the space is limited and I wanted to get a couple of cables in there...

why are aircraft gear and bays so complicated? Whoever designed all this must have hated model makers....

not to mention the fact that somebody in the USN knew what all this junk did.....

anyway - one almost completed nose job;

hasagawatomcatnose008.jpg

hasagawatomcatnose007.jpg

hasagawatomcatnose004.jpg

hasagawatomcatnose003.jpg

hasagawatomcatnose002.jpg

now....got to do it all again and even build a bay, from scratch, for the airfix kit

(and I thought others here were gluttons for punishment...)

progress, progress....

it's together :)

still got so much to do tho'......

afxandhastomcatsFeb22012003.jpg

Now this kit and the airfix kit are more or less at the same stage, granted the hasagawa kit has a lot more parts but personally I dont see too much difference between them. The fit of parts is much better on the airfix kit thats for sure....

maybe it's just me....

afxandhastomcatsFeb22012002.jpg

ty number 1

I have another question so assistance required -

tomcatpartsFeb001.jpg

what colour is the inside of this grille thingy by the tail hook?

and what colour is it inside the grill thingy?

instructions don'y say and I havent found a pics yet either.....very frustrating....

cheers

oh yeah - which of these 2 tail pieces do I use - thats the little bit that goes on the end of the big bit with the hook on ?

(this kit will be in the VS84 Jolly Rogers c/s, as seen in the movie The Final Countdown)

ty

Edited by kev1n

The grill thingy is the airbrakes well and the structure and interiors are red, as are the inner faces of the airbrakes themselves. The airbrakes operating pistons are white wth steel rods.

The tailpiece to use for your Tomcat is the one without the ECM bump, part K2. When this part is used, do not add the ECM bumps under the fixed part of the wing

Edited by Giorgio N

ok then......red paint out tonight.....

edit to your edit...

ok...got that....no ecm bumps

Edited by kev1n

I'm an idiot.

Just thought I'd mention that.....

Since I'm not building this on finals to a carrier or runway, but parked, why do I need to worry about the colour of the grill thingy? Or the inside of the airbrakes? They will be closed. So the red bits wont be seen.

shame.....

• 4 weeks later...

They're still here......have been distracted lately by to many real life thingys - very annoying, and also getting a Mustang done for this weekend

Back to the 'cats this weekend also tho