The Skipper's third go...."3rd WIRE TRAP BABY!......honey - I'm home!"

ok then.....time to embark on the hasagawa later moulding....starting with the cockpit

What I'm thinking here is I'll complete the tub and then bring the others up to this standard, which will givew some uniformity to the cockpit appearance of all three models.

Unless.....anybody can clue me in as to how different the airfix version's cockpit is from this one....

(please dont say it's totally different....it'll onl;y make things even more complicated than they already are....)

TomcatJan12set2003.jpg

TomcatJan12set2001-1.jpg

never built anything this complex before; wish me luck.....

;)

Edited by kev1n

I did consider that - trouble is I'm poor so dont have the dosh for extras, which is why I scratchbuild so much.

Plus - the hasgawa photo-etch parts have some spare bits :)

...ok a bit of poetic licence will be needed but I'll get by.

As far as fit goes, I probably wont spend any more time making my own bits than I would trying to make the other parts fit....

edit

omg my typing sucks !!

Edited by kev1n

Great work so far kev1n

For the Airfix tub all you need is some plasticard to be added for the rear firewalls...

Airfix_F14A_002_002.jpg

stops you being able to look down into the fuselage

I would strongly advise AGAINST using the AIRES tub: while it is beautiful it is a (massive) pain in the neck to fit and not much is visible afterwards anyway.

Arnaud

I concur, the Aires pits were one of the main reasons for putting me off building anymore Tomcats for a while. They look nice, but can drain the fun out of the build very quickly.

like I said....I dont have the spare cash for a/m partd anyway so what I need I'll scratchbuild, but ty for the tips anyway - I was wondering about the rear firewalls Andy so that confirms it, much appreciated.

As to what can be seen....hmmmm.....having some thoughts about the hasagawa kits anyway;

The seats are almost done, and the tub is about halfway done (pics later or the next couple of days).

Test fitting etc shows that not much of the detail on the lower sides seats will be seen and they are a tight fit so I've removed some of it.

Another thing that I thinbk is a bit weird is the way the instructions say to apply the etch parts then put a decal over them......so whats the point of the etch?

And....the etch parts instrument layout ius not the same as the decals - And...a decal wont lay flat over the design of the etch....so whats the point of having the etch?

Seems like a case of making things over-complicated for the sake of complication to me...

or have I got that wrong?

Probably.....

comments welcome - dont forget I havenbt built one of these before...actually I havent built any tomcats before....

so dont anybody ask me for advice....I dont know anything.....

:)

I cant remember now what the Hasegawa 1/72 was like. I enjoyed it though, didn't seem to be as difficult as the 1/48. Some nice features that should have been on the big one, like the forward fuselage having an extension that fit into the rear fuselage instead of a flat surface!, and a few missing details. My first ever tomcat was the 1/48 hasegawa one and loved it ever since, even though it is a challenge. The real thing was verry complicated, maybe Hasegawa made things overly so.

The Hobbyboss kit, although it has it's issues, has some pretty logical solutions to some of the problems the hase kit creates. The forward fuselage has a longer spine to help it fit the rear section, the main landing gear has an easier breakdown, the wheel wells have a better construction sequence. Of course, there is 20 years between the two kits. I have two HBs to do, they look good but I think Hasegawa is still the very best tomcat out there. It's hard work but it really is worth it.

The one I'm building now has gone together very well-no gaps or steps, the wheels are at the right angle, the main l/g looks like its in one piece, the "tray" (part B4) on the underside looks fine. A long list of things that have gone wrong or not been quite right on my other ones have gone right here. Whether this is due to patience, practice, picking up tips from everybody on here or being part of a group build on what is probably my very favourite aircraft?, I don't know, but I am really enjoying it, and I think everybody else is too.

Joel

well.....it IS different thats for sure...

I havent found anything yet that I cant fix so I'm glad I've had the chance to build up some experience on other kits, some of which are well known for having issues that need fixing, and kits that arent that hard to build anyway.

Kind of helps prepare me for this one......

And goes to show that no matter how many kits you have already built, otr how long you've been doing it, there is always something to new to learn

which is one of the biggest benefits of BM, IPMS and SIGS

funky-kitty.gif

Another thing that I thinbk is a bit weird is the way the instructions say to apply the etch parts then put a decal over them......so whats the point of the etch?

And....the etch parts instrument layout ius not the same as the decals - And...a decal wont lay flat over the design of the etch....so whats the point of having the etch?

Seems like a case of making things over-complicated for the sake of complication to me...

or have I got that wrong?

Probably.....

comments welcome - dont forget I havenbt built one of these before...actually I havent built any tomcats before....

so dont anybody ask me for advice....I dont know anything.....

kev1n

Just had a gander at my laminated set of instructions (sad I know), they have a symbol on the page to show (left-hand box) Photo-etch only or (right-hand box) PE and decals. Similar with the instrument panels.

I have highlighted the symbol..

BM_F14STGB_007.jpg

ohhhhh....I seeeeeee.......I geddit.....duhhhhhhhh........

cheers andy

oh....one more thing - the colour of the etch doesnt seem right to me; arent the instrument panels dark grey (or black)?

...and laminating your instruction sheets isnt at all sad.

really...it isnt.

ohhhhh....I seeeeeee.......I geddit.....duhhhhhhhh........

cheers andy

oh....one more thing - the colour of the etch doesnt seem right to me; arent the instrument panels dark grey (or black)?

...and laminating your instruction sheets isnt at all sad.

really...it isnt.

Quick and dirty method I used on a 2005 build...

The instrument panels are PE that come with the kits. I just sprayed them with Humbrol Matt Black, and when dried rubbed a wooden toothpick over the raised details. I then attached them with CA to the tub.

HS_F14A_017_002.jpg

HS_F14A_017_003.jpg

HS_F14A_017_004.jpg

>> full build here <<

Fortunately it looks as if you have lucked out on your PE with kit, as it is the older style that fits without need for modifications - newer is stamped "MA-13" and is a hassle.

Hope that helps

...and here you are :)...one hasagawa later mould seats n tub;

it's not quite done yet, the little yellow and black circular thingys, along with some other sundry extra bits I'll put on when it's secure and installed in the fuselage, as I can see these been snagged and broken during handling.

tomcatseatsandconcordebox012-1.jpg

tomcatseatsandconcordebox011.jpg

tomcatseatsandconcordebox010.jpg

I havent made the instruments as 'clean' as andy's above, this is after all going to be a well-used aircraft

edited as this post has been given an restricted rating by the Dept of The Navy

:blink:

Edited by kev1n