Shackleton kit

Baz50

by some kind of lucky happenstance I may have used a pair of Matchbox Canberra wheels on mine, but to be honest it was so long ago I just can't remember.

I'll have a nose at shelf level next time I pop in to see the model, just to see. Know what I mean...

Anyway, my vote is still to whip off the rivets for a 1/72nd scale model.

:thumbsup:

If anyone wants a close up look around the Coventry Shackleton (WR963), let me know. I'm there every Saturday making sure most - if not all- the rivets on her are present and correct. If you come along on 28th January, we're ground running her too.

As to the kits -

The Chematic (FROG) 1:72 example is pretty good, but the panel lines aren't really that true to the original, and the rivets are a bit over emphasised even by Shackleton standards. Having said that, the shape is pretty much spot on for the MR3, and with the addition of a conversion you can make a good MR2/AEW2 from it. Its just a shame the MR3 kit didn't have the Rolls Royce Vipers added later in its life - seen on all the RAF preserved examples.

As to the 1:48 vac form Shackleton - it'll take a lot of work. The engine cowlings and nacelles bear no resemblance to the real thing in shape or size. Theres no evidence of the air filters under the engine, radiator shutters, or anything like that. The wingtips look a bit odd too, not being symmetrical at all. A good leg up here to avoid some scratch building would be to rob parts from a Tamiya 1:48 lanc if you can for the undercarraige bays - as the internal wing structure and retract system is quite similar.

Also for those considering scratch building an MR2/AEW2 in any size, the Shackleton tailwheels are identical to the Canberra's.

Kind regards,

Rich

Shackleton Preservation Trust

I have actually sat in ( WR 963 )

Mr Cubberley was a REAL Gent

It was when 'She'had had the new Griffon fitted and the White paint was being applied

Im also in contact with someone on Deviantart ( female) who has a connection with ( WR)

Revell instance of the Shack as intended - needed a LOT of noseweight:

Revell_Shackleton_MR3.jpg

This one only lost those rivets smoothed during construction.

And another Revell + Aeroclub conversion.

Revell_Shackleton_AEW2.jpg

This one was smoothed down once the major assembly was completed.

I had another copy of the kit, but sold it to a colleague who worked on No8 Sqdn Shacks in the 1980s.

He reckoned that the Magic Roundabout characters were gone by the time he arrived.

He also had any of my leftover decals - so can't help anybody looking for them.

Chematic 1/72 £22 evilbay Delivered from Poland

Im going 'rivetless'

Im loving the models that are being posted

Think im going to do WR963

Edited by Baz50

I have actually sat in ( WR 963 )

Mr Cubberley was a REAL Gent

It was when 'She'had had the new Griffon fitted and the White paint was being applied

Im also in contact with someone on Deviantart ( female) who has a connection with ( WR)

You're more than welcome to come again. Sqn Ldr Cubberley still attends regularly at Coventry and keeps us younger guys on track regarding our old bomber. I know who you are now though, the lady you've been chatting with on DA is my sister, Laura! I commissioned a painting from her of WR963 in the new scheme, which I think is featured on Laura's page. Have you visited again since the scaffolding got put away and the paintwork is done?

theplasticsurgeon: - we've been having a discussion regarding the Magic Roundabout characters on another fourm, it appears one 8 Sqn CO ordered them got rid of. The names (but not the art) made a reappearance during storage at Waddington in 1991. The name 'Ermintrude' was still visible on WR963 until we repainted her, but several of the others still carry names.

Kind regards,

Rich

Edited by richw_82

Revell instance of the Shack as intended - needed a LOT of noseweight:

Revell_Shackleton_MR3.jpg

This one only lost those rivets smoothed during construction.

And another Revell + Aeroclub conversion.

Revell_Shackleton_AEW2.jpg

This one was smoothed down once the major assembly was completed.

I had another copy of the kit, but sold it to a colleague who worked on No8 Sqdn Shacks in the 1980s.

He reckoned that the Magic Roundabout characters were gone by the time he arrived.

He also had any of my leftover decals - so can't help anybody looking for them.

2 nice looking examples

You're more than welcome to come again. Sqn Ldr Cubberley still attends regularly at Coventry and keeps us younger guys on track regarding our old bomber. I know who you are now though, the lady you've been chatting with on DA is my sister, Laura! I commissioned a painting from her of WR963 in the new scheme, which I think is featured on Laura's page. Have you visited again since the scaffolding got put away and the paintwork is done?

theplasticsurgeon: - we've been having a discussion regarding the Magic Roundabout characters on another fourm, it appears one 8 Sqn CO ordered them got rid of. The names (but not the art) made a reappearance during storage at Waddington in 1991. The name 'Ermintrude' was still visible on WR963 until we repainted her, but several of the others still carry names.

Kind regards,

Rich

Its on this year's to do list.

Sorry Sqn Ldr Cubberley a lack of respect on my behalf.

Laura thats her very talented lady

yes it was/is

Are you on DA ?

No i have not sorry to say was going to come on the saturday night 'taxi run' but 'family' problems etc

That's the standard Bomber Command scheme of the early 50s which featured on Canberras Lincolns, Brigands, Mossies etc. It's medium sea grey upper surfaces over black undersurfaces.

Mark

016.jpg

This scheme looks interesting? I am sure I have seen Mosquitos in these colours What would the shade of grey be on the top side prehaps I can finish one of my Mosquitos in this scheme? (sorry to change subject..)

Sorry Sqn Ldr Cubberley a lack of respect on my behalf.

No i have not sorry to say was going to come on the saturday night 'taxi run' but 'family' problems etc

I'm sure it wasn't a lack of respect.... don't worry. I signed up to DA briefly just to have a look at some of the stuff Laura was putting up and add encouragement... especially when she was doing my painting.

As mentioned earlier, there's another engine run of WR963 on the 28th of this month, and we usually try to do one a month minimum, so there's plenty of opportunity in the coming year. If anybody else is planning an MR2/AEW2, I'd recommend you visit us as there's no barriers inside or outside the aircraft.... so you can count rivets to your hearts content! Linger too long and you might get asked to help us with the spanner work though!

If I can find it, I picked up the details of the guy who's importing the Chematic kits into the UK- our team ambushed him at the IPMS nationals and pretty much bought every Shackleton on his stand... :D

I'm sure it wasn't a lack of respect.... don't worry. I signed up to DA briefly just to have a look at some of the stuff Laura was putting up and add encouragement... especially when she was doing my painting.

As mentioned earlier, there's another engine run of WR963 on the 28th of this month, and we usually try to do one a month minimum, so there's plenty of opportunity in the coming year. If anybody else is planning an MR2/AEW2, I'd recommend you visit us as there's no barriers inside or outside the aircraft.... so you can count rivets to your hearts content! Linger too long and you might get asked to help us with the spanner work though!

If I can find it, I picked up the details of the guy who's importing the Chematic kits into the UK- our team ambushed him at the IPMS nationals and pretty much bought every Shackleton on his stand... :D

Looks like im going to coventry on the 28th

im not good with a spanner or a kettle

its good to know but i bet the queue will be long but im a patient sort of guy

ok to DA

dont think i will take up the offer of 'rivet counting'

ok to Chematic kit have not yet ordered the 'kit' off ebay yet so i will wait

• 2 weeks later...

I have four examples of this kit in the stash, I want to start the set with the MR3 and AEW2, I have the conversion kit but just need the decals to build the AEW2. for the MR1 I have decided to use the Sanger kit for the fuselage with modified Frog/Revell wings.

David.

was there a conversion kit for this by Aeroclub?

I have been away for a very long time, so there may have been.

I think I can probably stretch to making the new bits though, was it a glass nose and a radome mostly and a blunter rear end?

(quite like mine own) :)

Edited by perdu

I have been away for a very long time, so there may have been.

I think I can probably stretch to making the new bits though, was it a glass nose and a radome mostly and a blunter rear end?

(quite like mine own) :)

Yes it was, Bill. It also had a fixed tailwheel like a Lancaster/Lincoln. Rather a dumpy-looking aeroplane if you ask me, not like the MR.2 and MR.3. Still an interesting conversion.

Regards,

Jason

Can anyone tell me which is the better kit please

Revel or Chematic

Im not to bothered about the 'rivet' count etc as long as it looks ok

thanks for any replies

of course 1/72 scale

unless anyone knows different

Simple formula:

AVRO Shackleton = 40,000 rivets in loose formation......................!

Selwyn

(what the type was commonly known as in the RAF!)