Tuskegee 1/48 P-51D

Just caught up with this one. You've made a great job of that masking, she'll look superb when finished. I've been lucky to meet a few Tuskegee vets. They were great guys. I've also got a print that they all signed for me hanging on one of my walls.

Hey guys,

Bit of a setback tonight. I went to paint the OD anit-glare panel and was on my last spray and what do you know? I drop it. Right onto a burnishing tool. And this leaves a huge divot in the enamel paint. I attempted to fix it by flattening the area but the paint was still a bit wet. So, I sprayed some OD onto the area and put down the airbrush and walked away. Modeling is 40% painting, 30% building, and 30 % fixing your mistakes. Tomorrow I'll grab some 1500 grit sand paper and work the area down nice and flat again and prepare it for another spray. Shouldn't take me more than an hour, if that. I'll post some images tomorrow of the before and after of this process and see if I can't fix it successfully. We'll see.

Erik

Hey guys,

First, thanks a bunch for all your positive comments! I'm really enjoying sharing this build with you

Tank: My dad met the Tuskegee over the phone and he too said that they were amazing gentlemen. Very cool that you have a signed picture!!!

Just kidding, I got it fixed. I couldn't concentrate on math so I decided to fix my mistakes. I didn't take any before pictures but here are the after. The divot was just above the exhausts on the port side and I don't think you can make out any difference. Unfortunately, there is a bit of a step in between the enamel and Alclad paint...I need to figure something out to prevent this. This occured on my P-47 as well. Anybody have any tips for preventing this???

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

Now that I've gotten that sorted out, a coat of Future is due and then onto the decals :)

I also started the small things and got the drop tanks, UC doors and UC, and gear doors painted. They too will receive a cote of Future and then a wash.

I'm not sure how "shiny" I want this one to be at the end. Have you guys ever tried a flat coat over Alclad? Does it effect the sheen that much?

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Edited by erikmuntz

Excellent progress Erik. From a personal point of view, I always matt varnish my P51's in natural metal. My build on here was finished like that, and when looking at photos of wartime Mustangs, some of them appear to have lost their smooth sheen. I think the stunning build in this GB by Rich F has been matt coated too. Have a look and see what you think.

That's looking very good. The shine is personal I think. I saw pics of NMF in uber-shiny condition, like they polished it up for about a million hours, and I saw pics of NMF in the operational theatres where they were absolutely dulled. Personally I think I'm going to try some Testors Flat on my AURI P-51 cause I like that used look.

First, happy Valentine's Day, Britmodeller. :wub: This place always makes me smile and I love all of you. In a not creepy way :)

Excellent progress Erik. From a personal point of view, I always matt varnish my P51's in natural metal. My build on here was finished like that, and when looking at photos of wartime Mustangs, some of them appear to have lost their smooth sheen. I think the stunning build in this GB by Rich F has been matt coated too. Have a look and see what you think.

First, thanks for the compliment! Second, I will probably try a flat coat on this. I'm bound to do more NMF aircraft so if I don't like the outcome its not the end of the world.

Looking rather nice Erik

Thanks, Mish! I still don't think its as good as either of your builds. Those two were just beautiful.

Quite amazing...fantastic work.

Thanks, man!

That's looking very good. The shine is personal I think. I saw pics of NMF in uber-shiny condition, like they polished it up for about a million hours, and I saw pics of NMF in the operational theatres where they were absolutely dulled. Personally I think I'm going to try some Testors Flat on my AURI P-51 cause I like that used look.

First, your Auri P-51 looked great! Second, I'll probably go with the flat coat as stated above! Oh, and thanks for the compliments ;)

Excellent work. Great NMF

Thanks, eagle. NMF can be tricky and I made some mistakes (well, quite a few, actually) but I guess I'm learning :)

Since I couldn't concentrate of Physics tonight, I took some time at the bench (mostly cleaning it up, I'm not exactly the cleanest person, though I do try) and also putting some Future on the build. Then, I couldn't help it, I had to test fit the small bits and pieces on to see what it looks like. Here are the pictures.

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

This last picture is of the scheme I'm doing. I should be able to get her done over my long weekend this weekend. Thanks you Presidents Day!

IMG_0776.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!!

Erik

Edited by erikmuntz

She's a beaut Erik
Looking gorgeous!
I'll second that!

Andy

Hi Erik

Looks realy good Mate top job

Wellzy :headphones:

:ditto:
Good job with the NMF. Looking forward to seeing the decals on etc...

James

Thanks, guys!

Tonight I went ahead and started the decaling phase, as well as painted the canopy. I did something, really, really, really stupid while painting the canopy. I thought to myself "well, I better prime the clear parts because paint doesn't exactly stick to them that well." It was a good idea at the time......and as soon as I sprayed it bad words started flying through my head...the color of the primer will be what the interior color appears to be. :wall: "Life's hard. It's even harder if you are stupid" John Wayne once said. I decided to leave it as is because the only way to fix it really is to either sand the paint off (dangerous stuff) or paint it from the inside. I don't think it will be all that noticeable but did I learn my lesson??? Yes.......

IMG_0778.jpg

That's where she's at now, canopy parts thrown on there and the port side done except for the black outline of the words "Little Freddie". Once again, thanks for the comments and let me know what you guys think of it at this point.

Erik

Hey guys,

Got almost all the decalling done. Does anybody here have an Aeromaster P-51D stencil guide in 1/48 they could scan and email me or post below? Any help would be much appreciatied!!

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

I should be able to finish all assembly tomorrow and then a gloss coat and then some weathering and then she's done.

Erik

Nearly there Erik :thumbsup2:

There, Mish!

This is a build you should be very proud of. It's a great looking scheme you've chosen as well.

Thanks, tank!

Looks glorious.

Ian

- Co-host Britmodeller 2011 P-51 Mustang STGB -

Thanks, Ian. That's one of my favorite words. There is a story about that word from one of my backpacking trips but its a long one. Maybe I'll tell it someday :)

Alright guys, finished the build. I'm not gonna post pictures in the gallery quite yet as I plan to create a small base for this aircraft.

My goals for this build.

1) Do a better job at filling seams and dealing with gaps.

2) Subtle yet effective weathering.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

And just for fun, a quick print of a backdrop and some punched steel an voo-la! We are in Italy :)

IMG_0824.jpg

After a long project...this is what the bench looked like.

IMG_0817.jpg

After a quick clean up...I can breathe again :)

IMG_0827.jpg

Tell me what you guys think...I'll be starting the diorama here pretty soon after a quick order off Amazon.

Cheers, guys. :cheers:

Erik