Aussie Growlers

Harrierpilot

I have spoken (ok - e-mailed) to Southern Sky Models and he's hoping to have a EA-18G Growler sheet out later this year /early next year as soon has he gets some more information about the jets.

COOL ... good guy too fast service...

• 11 months later...

Here are a couple of pictures

A46-301%201_zpsokwccrjo.jpg

A46-301%202_zpsujiwhxgl.jpg

A46-301%20AIM92_zpsmgr9aaui.jpg

You will note the main colours are similar to RAAF 'classic' Hornets and not the other Super Hornets in the fleet and they will be operated by 6SQN with all the F/A-18Fs going to 1SQN eventually.

Currently, the 2 RAAF Growlers are unique in the fact they have been wired for AIM-9X sidewinders and an ATFLIR pod (last picture). The USN version doesn't have these (yet). The aircraft are going to Pax River to have the new systems trialed. Eventually, the USN aircraft will have these features added.

Link to Article

• Like 2

Probably - but only because they don't see the overall damage these 'shoot from the hip' procurements have done to the overall force structure.

mmmm yes, like Abrams tanks and black plastic stocks for the EF88s.

As dumb as the colour choice is for the first batch of the new rifles, I wouldn't say that colour counts as 'force structure.' As for Abrams, tanks have been part of the force structure since 1941 and were acquired in a contested manner via the full capability development process. The same cannot be said for the EA-18G, the purchase of which required the cancellation of other projects.

Still, lovely jets & a great modelling subject. Hopefully we'll see some nice colour schemes in the years to come!

As dumb as the colour choice is for the first batch of the new rifles, I wouldn't say that colour counts as 'force structure.' As for Abrams, tanks have been part of the force structure since 1941 and were acquired in a contested manner via the full capability development process. The same cannot be said for the EA-18G, the purchase of which required the cancellation of other projects.

Still, lovely jets & a great modelling subject. Hopefully we'll see some nice colour schemes in the years to come!

Intrigued by this Greg. The Growler was subject to full capability development consideration and entry in the Whitepaper, and as far as I can see nothing suffered for the ADF in acquiring it, certainly nothing that has significantly altered the balanced and networked force we have been working towards for the better part of the last 20 years. The mechanised battlegroups in Army seem to be progressing apace so nothing I can see for you to complain about as a result of Growler.

Currently seeing the Growlers doing some amazing things in support of the ground force right now in an untidy part of the world and all I can say is glad we are getting them.

Provision was certainly made for possible Growler conversions of the last twelve 'F+'. The first discussion in the White Paper was in 2009, however, there was not a project entered into the Defence Capability Plan, meaning that a (fiscal) provision had not been made for the conversion: ie it was not budgeted.

Flash forward to 2012, and the RAAF was informed that certain items required for any F+ to G conversion would soon no longer be available 'forced' a decision point. The original decision was to execute the F+ to G conversions for six (? Memory fail here) aircraft. To fund this (remember, the conversion was multi-year, so required money that was multi-year, not single financial year, thus DCP under spends were out [C-17 etc]), the RAAF 'helpfully' offered the cancellation of Land 17 Phase 1C, the self propelled howitzer (AS9 'Aussie Thunder' - seriously, where do they get these names?). SPH had been in both the White Paper and the DCP since 1999, so had a (multi-year) provision attached to it.

This duly occurred. Money was reprogrammed from a programme that was on the books for well over a decade to fund an activity that was later cancelled. I understand that priorities can shift, but the biggest frustration was that the RAAF 'need' is never so great that they ever (in what I've seen over many years) offer to de-scope or cancel their own projects, only those of other services.

That is the most detail I am willing to provide on that.

The White Paper 13 included an electronic attack need for the first time - to be fair, the government in 2006 was smashed for the hitherto not formally required C-17 purchase, so at least this time they had the sense to retrospectively justify the capability. At the same time, they announced that the conversion of the F+ would now not occur, with the purchase of 12 new build EA-18G going ahead.

Maybe this (probably pretty dry & arcane to most) discussion should be moved to Real Aviation - unless there's a 'Real Bureaucracy' section of the site I'm unfamiliar with?

Greg, I know you love these discussions but agree it is now getting somewhat arcane (even if Defence did trade off a koala for a real force enabler) so I will leave it with a quote "... if one accepts that premise, air power provides our Government with multiple options for exerting coercive influence, or delivering precise blows or merely putting an adversary at risk in order to influence his behaviour; then it is obvious that air power must take its place at the centre of our national security strategy."

That is why when I get back to Australia around the same time that Ronin Graphics releases the appropriate decals I may spend my leave constructing one of these great modelling subjects rather than bemoaning the absence of an SPG in the orbat.

Best laid plans, looks like the Growler will go on hold as I have just been warned out for an overseas posting, so 8 weeks back in Oz and then off again for 2-3 years. The WIP will have to wait.

Boy Ken, you seem to have all the fun :D

Perhaps after your next posting you can get back to the bench and finish (or start something). Thanks to you and Greg on a most interesting contribution to the discussion.

An excellent discussion. It didnt decend into the usual "train wreck". I love the RAAF and enjoyed the info shared. Now wheres my Super Hornet and decal sheet.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Harrierpilot said:

The First pair of RAAF EA-18G's arrived "down under" for the Avlon show last week before they jion No.6 Squadron at Amberley.

The jets were A46-306 aand A46-307.

They arrive at Amberley prior to the show with A46-305 and 308

Hi there

I was looking to do a Legacy Hornet in RAAF colors only to know that those aircraft use SRAMM and now I wonder the weapon load of the Growler (I supposed to need an extra for a Mate sample)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASRAAM

So the big question is where to get decals in 1/72 scale???

Resultado de imagen para raaf growler aircraft

Resultado de imagen para raaf growler aircraft

Best modeling 

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER