1/32 Revell F-14A

AndyC

Well, as promised and to show I've been trying to crack on with this... :D

The big seam at the rear was puttied - it was poor because the plastic is a little warped

002-4.jpg

However, this was nowhere near as 'approximate' as the nose joint! I believe this stems from the original warping and glueing problem - I tried trimming it and dry fitting but it had to be forced into place, held against its will and CA'd into submission. I still ended up with this gap! :angry:

001-3.jpg

Still, a couple of evenings sanding and filling and I managed to smooth things out to a greater degree. the underside is still pretty ugly but more filler will cure it I hope.

004-6.jpg

002-5.jpg

One of the consequences of the warping is that the nose cone doesn't fit either! The nose aft of the cone is squashed to correct the warping, so there is a raised seam at the sides where the sides are wider than the cone. I've sanded some of it out but the rest I will have to blend in with filler (more of it).

005-1.jpg

006-3.jpg

It is only now I am realising what a big beast this is going to be!

007-1.jpg

Next jobs are sanding nose area, glue and sand missiles and pylons, mask canopy and undercoat, sand and fill vertical tails. I may get this done by tomorrow - me and 'er indoors are off to Venice Monday for a rest from work and modelling!

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome as ever

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

This kit still has the ability to turn round and give you a quick kick in the happy sacks! I started looking at the canopy and the 'inside' bit (Part 75) at the rear - and...yes...it's also missing :rant: I have started fashioning something out of plastic card - I really want the canopy open, so this detail has got to be present. I will see how I get on - she may yet have to be buttoned up.

005-2.jpg

However on a more positive note the sanding is complete and the re-scribing will be done tonight, so the main bulk (and it IS a bulk) will be ready for priming tonight/tomorrow.

004-7.jpg

The weapons have been readied - I am going for a basic load-out of AIM-7 (x2), -9 (x2) and -54A (x2). The weapons don't look too bad but the rest of the kit is such a muddle of missing bits etc that I don't feel like correcting them!

006-4.jpg

So, all-in-all there may be light at then of the tunnel (it may, however, be an oncoming train)

Thanks for looking

Andy, pm me your addy, got a used burner can(painted silver), and part for the canopy, yours if you wish

Mick

You, sir are a hero! PM inbound shortly

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case you were wondering whether anything is going on with this - she has now ready for priming and all sanding work is now complete. The jet exhausts are now primed and Alclad applied (thanks Smyfe for the cans etc!) The other delay has been the paint finish. I want to do the Iranian 'desert' scheme and did some trials with some close approximate colours on my 'paint queen'. The results weren't up to my expectations, so I have ordered the 'correct' Lifecolour colours this morning. I await them in the post.

Thanks for looking

Going to be worth it!

I hope so! However, they are good paints and I want her to look tops!

:popcorn::popcorn:

Mick

Leave a little for me Mick!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

This one has been a bit dormant of late as I had to source the right paints for the Iranian desert scheme. They arrived yesterday and are sat in front of the primed body

008-1.jpg

The colours will be:

Green FS34079 - Xtracrylix XA1110

Brown FS30140 - Lifecolour UA085

Tan FS30400 - Lifecolour UA084

Grey FS36622 - Lifecolour UA021

White wheel wells and a white radome

All the parts are now primed - they took nearly a whole can of Halfords Grey Primer. I'm still undecided as to whether to fashion a couple of FOD covers for the intakes - shouldn't be too difficult in this scale and I don't have to faff about with masking them...

007-2.jpg

All my current builds are coming together nicely at the moment - I want to get some paint on this over the coming weekend and if I do, I'll post the pics here

Thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...
Good choice on the Lifecolor paints! :)

Any paint on yet?

Iain

HI Iain, now that FW190 STGB is out of the way, I have this week and the weekend to have a real blast at this baby and my Hunter

:popcorn: , i'm getting fatter by the minute, eating all this pop corn in anticipation.

Mick

:rofl: Pass some here mate, I'm starvin'! See above - all will start to be revealed this week.

Just for the popcorn-eating hordes...I pre-shaded her tonight in anticipation of a paint-tastic weekend :rofl: Watch this space...

No...this one... :tumble:

003-6.jpg

Hi all

Typical Bank Holiday, so time to get some paint on the 'Cat!

Light Grey sprayed on to the undersides and got a nice slightly blotchy appearance as I'd expect with the pre-shading

003-7.jpg

004-8.jpg

Then the Tan was sprayed after Blu-Tac sausages had been rolled out - pictures of these Iranian 'Cats show a very feathered demarcation for all the camouflage, so freehand and/or sausages is the way to go...

005-3.jpg

006-5.jpg

Hope to get the Brown and Green on by bedtime. Thanks for looking

That looks really tidy - it's hard to believe it's the same kit you started with. The other word that comes to mind is HUGE :)

Cheers mate! Believe me it is MASSIVE! It's 2ft long and really difficult to manoeuvre around the workbench. However I managed to get all the main colours on about an hour ago and she looks :wub: Photographs tomorrow - I have also masked off the wheel wells tonight ready for a coat of white. The u/c doors, the nose cone and the AIM-54 missiles can be done at the same time.

My aim is to get it clear coated by the end of the week and then decals on next week! Phew! Boy, am I glad we got 5 months for this GB!

Agree about the time - I just realised that 17/5 is next week, and not "near the end of the month" like I thought. I'm hoping to do some painting at the weekend, if that fails then I might not be done in time :(

My own fault for getting distracted, mind you.

Hi all

Well, she is dressed now! Sausage masks - I tried freehand but was not happy with the results, so out cam the Blu-Tac. There are some areas touch up but overall I am quite pleased with it. I masked off the wheel wells and the nose and sprayed Tamiya Flat White on these plus the missiles and the u/c doors.

I still have the anti-glare panel to do and I'll try and do that tonight/tomorrow.

007-3.jpg

008-2.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012-1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Bloomin' eck Andy, she's looking wonderful, excellent work mate. :thumbsup:

Cheers mate! Yeah a bit better than that glue-y mess of 4 months ago! Still a bit to do yet but I'll get there

cracking job there mate...and i know, shes a big beastie.

i dont suppose you still have the kit decals do you?.. :please: i built mine many years ago and now need to refurbish her

steve

Mmmmm sausages...... 2 foot square - SWMBO would kill me if I started something like this, so thank goodness I can sit and watch instead. Slightly jealous tho'. Can't wait to see the final result.

Andy

I know what you mean Andy! These 1/32 kits EAT paint and Tamiya masking tape :)

cracking job there mate...and i know, shes a big beastie.

i dont suppose you still have the kit decals do you?.. :please: i built mine many years ago and now need to refurbish her

steve

I do but I need the stencil stuff that Techmod don't give you (warning triangles/'slime' lights etc). Depends what you are after on the decal side...

Hi all

Lots of fiddly stuff now completed. Paint touch-ups around the a/c generally and some re-spray of the tail area green which somehow looked crap! Then a mammoth masking session for the Aluminium leading edges to the wings, elevators and tail.

001-5.jpg

These were then sprayed Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black, allowed to dry and then sprayed Alclad Aluminium. Left to dry and then that anxious moment when you remove the masks...and they were spot-on!

003-8.jpg

004-9.jpg

Also painted the wheel hubs and then put all three legs/hubs /tyres together. I'll give them a quick wash to 'dirty' them up a little.

002-7.jpg

I have to finish painting the u/c doors, a final coat of Klear and then decals. Also have to finish the internal canopy bits sent by Mick (Smyfe) and with a bit of luck, she may be done by the weekend. Thanks for looking!