1/32 Revell F-14A

AndyC

Hi all

I am going to join with this.

004.jpg

However there are a couple of issues I need to fix (if I can) before leaping in with the sprue shots...I mentioned on another thread yesterday that this was an inherited kit which a 7yr old had already started and had liberally (and I mean liberally!!!!) emptied most of a tube of poly cement fixing the cockpit into one half of the nose. And fixing it wrongly, so it is cock-eyed.

008.jpg

He also spilt a lot of glue over the outside which has reacted with the plastic and has left fingerprints...

007.jpg

It can be rescued (these are the only bits started) but means that I have to be able to get the original cockpit out. I think I know how to do it but unless it can be rescued, then a new cockpit and seats will be needed. If all goes well, then this will be my build.

Although I build US subjects generally, I am going to finish this monster as either an IIRAF/IRAF Tomcat, or in a USN Adversary scheme. Until I see how the remedial work goes, I am holding off buying the Techmod decals for either of these schemes.

Keep you posted

Andy

Edited by AndyC

Good luck with your rescue attempt, Andy.

Hope it goes well.

Steve

Hi Steve - thanks for that I really hope it comes off, it looks a good kit - maybe not Tamiya/Academy standard but a big piece of plastic and she will look great in that IIRAF/Adversary camo!

Cheers

Andy

:shocked: Cor, that is a bit dribbly, innit? :lol:

I take it this is the one we were talking about a couple of days ago?

Yep! It's in a right state. I got the tub undone last night by pouring liquid poly on the joints but the seats won't budge and neither will the IP's using that method. I have ordered some cyano debonder and will see if that enables me to separate them out. If not, its either abandon and start something else, or try and shoe-horn a resin 'pit in.

Andy

Sh*t...didn't work :angry:

The kit looks a good 'un, so do I scratch-build a kit using what is left as a template and buy some Aires seats and Eduard p/e? Or do I buy an Aires/Avionix resin 'pit and try and shoehorn it into the Revell kit (for which neither were designed)? Or do I chuck the kit and build another 1/32 a/c?

I will have a think while trying to bludgeon my F-82 into shape...

Andy

Edited by AndyC

Thanks for the suggestions chaps but everything is just fused together, so no chance. Such a shame as from what I have read, it is a nice kit. I am going to either source a 'pit elsewhere or bite the bullet and buy a resin 'pit. The kit only cost me £15, so I don't feel too bad about not being able to save it

Andy

Thanks for the suggestions chaps but everything is just fused together, so no chance. Such a shame as from what I have read, it is a nice kit. I am going to either source a 'pit elsewhere or bite the bullet and buy a resin 'pit. The kit only cost me £15, so I don't feel too bad about not being able to save it

Andy

if your thinking about binning it il buy it off you

if your thinking about binning it il buy it off you

Cheers bud, I have never let a kit beat me yet! I will persevere with it for the time being

Andy

Hey Andy,

First, sorry about your troubles, but perseverance is key! Second, you might try posting a looking for thread on Hyperscale. A lot of people there use aftermarket items and might have this pit laying around collecting dust. Actually, do you want me to do that? If I find one, I could send it to you once I receive it.

Erik

Hey Andy,

First, sorry about your troubles, but perseverance is key! Second, you might try posting a looking for thread on Hyperscale. A lot of people there use aftermarket items and might have this pit laying around collecting dust. Actually, do you want me to do that? If I find one, I could send it to you once I receive it.

Erik

Hi erik

Thanks for your offer but I have a couple of other 'irons' in the fire before I go web-wide!. I go on HS myself quite often (when you model US a/c they are the best reference source in the world!) and as you say that may be an option...let's see?

Thanks for your comment

Andy

Andy - I *may* have a Tamiya pit you could use as I bought a part built one years ago and got a resin tub for it.

If the kit parts are there you're welcome to them?

Will take a look over the w/e - no promises mind!!

Iain

Hey Ian - thanks! It may not be necessary cos...

I noticed Phartycr0c was building TWO Revell kits and was using an Aires pit on one and he has promised me the Revell original from one of them...if so all systems are go...decals are ordered...

Andy

Andy - I *may* have a Tamiya pit you could use as I bought a part built one years ago and got a resin tub for it.

If the kit parts are there you're welcome to them?

Will take a look over the w/e - no promises mind!!

Iain

Hey Iain,

I'll take the Tamiya pit if available, just let me know what you want for mate.

One thing I found when trying to remove paint from a model was that after soaking the thing in Fairy Power Spray overnight (a long overnight), as I wasa getting the paint off, most of the model seemed to fall apart too. Perhaps that might work?

Hi Andy,

That sounds like good kharma :)

Hey Iain,

I'll take the Tamiya pit if available, just let me know what you want for mate.

If I have it I'm happy to pop in post - no charge - but as I said - no promises. Will try and venture stash-side this evening.

Iain

Hi all

Thanks to Dave (Phartycr0c) who kindly donated his un-used Revell cockpit to me (and for which I will remain forever grateful!) it looks like I will be able to make a start on this soon! I also received my Techmod decal sheet with some gorgeous looking Iranian Tomcats on it!

I will post the sprue shots in tghe next couple of days

See you soon

Andy

Hi all

Well here is the customary sprue shot - this is a big old kit...the box of stuff is the replacement Revell cockpit from Phartycr0c (to whom I am eternally grateful) and the bag is a load of loose bits that had either been knocked off or cut off.

003.jpg

004-1.jpg

Also shown is the awesome Techmod sheet of decals and I intend to do an IIAF/IRIAF Tomcat in the sand/brown/green camouflage hi-viz camouflage.

Andy