Matchbox / Airfix and Revell Halifax Lovechildren

woody37

Hi Alistair,

You will need to upload them to an online area such as photobucket (takes seconds to register a free account). When uploaded, there will be several lines of gobbygook below each pic. You need to copy the 'direct link' text. I tend to reduce the pixels in mine using paint before I do this to reduce them to 1000 x what ever as it significantly reduces the file size.

Back on Britmodeller, on you're reply option, the menu at the top of the box has an option 'add image'. Click on this. First time you do it, a menu will pop up at the top of your screen. Click on it then click the 'add image' again. A little window opens up. Paste the gobblygook text from photobucket into it and click 'OK'.

It will now post your image. Sounds complicated, but it's not. Much easier when you have two seperate browsers open with BM on one and PB on the other.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

At last :D Here is the work in progress showing the "sunken" outer engines.

IMGP1213.jpg

Tony, it looks absolutely fantastic ! Well done, as you say, it's got a much more pleasing look with those Hercules and less sticky out bits !

Alistair, that looks great too.

Out of interest, how easy is it to fettle the wings around the fairing ? The reason I did it the other way (fill the wing before building the fairing) was to ensure the wing was completely flat. Your way looks like less work if it's easy enough to get the gap right.

Cheers

Tony, it looks absolutely fantastic ! Well done, as you say, it's got a much more pleasing look with those Hercules and less sticky out bits !

Alistair, that looks great too.

Out of interest, how easy is it to fettle the wings around the fairing ? The reason I did it the other way (fill the wing before building the fairing) was to ensure the wing was completely flat. Your way looks like less work if it's easy enough to get the gap right.

Cheers

To get the top of the nacelle off the wing I scribed around it repeatedly with a Tamiya scriber and after it was attached to the engine I scaped away the joint on the section of top wing under the motor to enable it to lower itself in the wing. This also means I did not have to recontour the forward part of the cowling where it joins the wing as you had to. Once in position I stuffed the gap with Pratleys putty, which is a two part epoxy mix and is very easy to work with. After I squeezed it in I flattened it with first a moist finger and then a moistened x acto blade. When it was semi dry (ie stiff but not set ) I used a scalpel blade to clean up the putty that had "flowed" up the fairing to get a sharper definition between the wing and upper fairing. Once dry I used a Stevens Internation sanding stick to smooth everything out. The process was a lot easier in the end than I thought it would be when I started. I must cofess however I did do everything by eye rather than trying for precise measurements

FINISHED!!!

Finally finished the Hercules engined model...

I can't argue Tony, the Hercles engined machines were definitely better lookers - but then maybe because the Merlin ones are 'uglier' is the reason that I really want to build one!

Lovely model again though Tony, especially with it having recycled wings!! :speak_cool:

Keef

To get the top of the nacelle off the wing I scribed around it repeatedly with a Tamiya scriber and after it was attached to the engine I scaped away the joint on the section of top wing under the motor to enable it to lower itself in the wing. This also means I did not have to recontour the forward part of the cowling where it joins the wing as you had to. Once in position I stuffed the gap with Pratleys putty, which is a two part epoxy mix and is very easy to work with. After I squeezed it in I flattened it with first a moist finger and then a moistened x acto blade. When it was semi dry (ie stiff but not set ) I used a scalpel blade to clean up the putty that had "flowed" up the fairing to get a sharper definition between the wing and upper fairing. Once dry I used a Stevens Internation sanding stick to smooth everything out. The process was a lot easier in the end than I thought it would be when I started. I must cofess however I did do everything by eye rather than trying for precise measurements

Thanks. Doing it by eye certainly seems to have worked. Maybe Revell should of done the same :lol:

While the gross shape errors of the new Revell kit are most regrettable, what has been rewarding to see is the extent to which people have broken out in highly successful basic modelling in response, and come up with some creative solutions and high quality results. Combined with the work that people like Nobby have been doing over in WiP on bringing new life to old warhorses like the Frog Typhoon and Airfix Defiant, this forum is a highly stimulating and educational place to hang around.

There has always been some amazing work done over on places like LSP but that always seems to be at a level that I could never aspire to, with people turning up components on lathes and doing their own PE and so on. Whereas here it is projects that I really can follow and say "Yep, I think I could do that, or at least some of it."

I've always been a bit of a kit-basher, though I don't have the finishing and detailing skills of most of the modellers here, so the last few months' projects have really got me engaged.

Congratulations and thanks to all you Halifax surgeons for showing that if you think a bit, experiment a bit, and are not afraid to get stuck in, apparently impossible things can be done in a very practical way.

Edited by Work In Progress

I completely agree with you here. I've been talking to a guy called Len Thompson on another website (Thanks Len, I've made a start using your pics and tips) and pics of the Italian build that Neil Whitely Bolton kindly translated and emailed to me, and it's kinda thrown be a bit because they're so bloody good ! It stalled me because I tried to make a start on my build to Lens standard, but realised I didn't have that level of skill. This caused a few days of frustration as trying to bridge that gap stopped me from enjoying it. Yesterday, however I broke through that by getting on and enjoying a standard I can work to. I find it important to constantly improve what I do, but more importantly, this is for enjoyment and sometimes there are compromises.