Hasegawa 1/72nd F-14A Tomcat

Here as promised are the photos of this model as she is at the moment. The flaps have now been added, so all that I have to do next is a little bit of masking and then on with the painting. I have only added the upper half of the wing weapon pylons with the Sidewinder rails as these are the only weapon stations that are shown in the photos that come with the decal sheet, Any comments are gratefully received.

F-14Tomcat023.jpg

F-14Tomcat024.jpg

Looking good, I can't wait to see the painted model !

You are right about having used only the upper half of the pylons ! Or better, the pylons only, as the lower halves are actually the launchers and vary depending on the missile used. This was the most common configuration when not in operations.

White paint being applied as I write this. No I don't have one hand on the computer and the other on the model, but I am doing some painting then leaving it to dry, then doing some more.

As I mentioned last night the white paint has been applied. So now I have a small amount of masking to be carried out before that grey is applied. A question here, I know that the white on the top surface of the wings covers the flaps and the spoilers, but does the demarcation line follow the front edge of the spoilers or is there a straight line along the line of the spoilers front hinges?

F-14Tomcat025.jpg

F-14Tomcat026.jpg

F-14Tomcat027.jpg

F-14Tomcat028.jpg

The white on the spoilers follows the spoilers edges, it's not a straight line. Anything on the trailing edges that moves is white, anything that does not move is grey (and so are the leading edge slats, apart from the silver at the very front).

Good work so far,

Is that some white overspray on your nails?! ;)

Yes but strangely only on my thumb nail.

The white on the spoilers follows the spoilers edges, it's not a straight line. Anything on the trailing edges that moves is white, anything that does not move is grey (and so are the leading edge slats, apart from the silver at the very front).

Thanks for that. I thought that what you said is correct, but I had seen 2 drawings each showing me something different, so I needed a bit of clarification. So it will be a bit more masking to get this right.

After a couple of days getting the wings masked up along with the tail and nose of the fuselage, I am now ready to paint the grey. I have left the main fuselage wavy demarcation line as I find it easier to do freehand, and usually looks a little better.

F-14Tomcat029.jpg

F-14Tomcat030.jpg

F-14Tomcat031.jpg

F-14Tomcat032.jpg

Painted the first coat of grey this afternoon, then when putting the lid back on I noticed the FS No. Instead of 16440 I saw 36375. So it looks like a short stop on this one, although there still are a few things that can get built in the meanwhile, and then a trip back to the shop where I bought the paint from to get the correct pot. I am sure that the one that I picked up came from the right slot, must have not looked at the slot properly.

Painted the first coat of grey this afternoon, then when putting the lid back on I noticed the FS No. Instead of 16440 I saw 36375.

Oh no!

What a pity, the paintwork was coming on so well! Hope it doesn't slow you up too much bud.

Oh no!

What a pity, the paintwork was coming on so well! Hope it doesn't slow you up too much bud.

It will a little a I won't be able to get the paint that I want until this Saturday. Still I do have some of the smaller bits to make up and/or paint, so some time will not be wasted.

Back from the shops today with newly purchased pot of correct paint (the wrong one was in the slot next to it) and on with a coat. Hopefully get another coat on tonight or earlt tomorrow morning. Will also have to get a rattle can of white primer as that ran out last night when painting the U/C and associated doors, luckily Halfords is not too far away. Still have got the ejection seats built up and mostly painted, a bit more on these and a bit of weather shall see them finished. Shall do some photos of these updates soon.

Not having a good time at the moment. After applying a second coat of grey I took the masking off the wings only to find what I can honestly say is a mess. So I have been into the loft and got another set of wings from another kit and started to build them. Hopefully this time I shall do a better job of the masking. On the good side though I id manange to get a new rattle can of white from Hafords.

Sorry to hear you're having problems ! Was it the paint that didn't stick or what else ?

The main problem was I think paint bleed under the masking. All the lines looked horrid and although I did try to clean it up with a small paint brush it just did not look right, so I though that descression is the better part of valour and with many Hasegawa Tomcat kits in the loft I got one out and started the wings again. The old wings will not go to waste as these are now in the donor kit and could be used at a future date with a grey schemed model.

Wings have now been made up and have started spraying the white again. I have also started painting some of the other colours on the fuselage such as the sealing bags and engines.

Wings now sprayed white and masked up. So it will be on with a couple of coats of grey tonight/ tomorrow and hope for the best. I have used a different type of masking tape this time around which may help thiings.

Edited by Jabba

First coat of grey was painted last night and the second coat will go on as soon as I have finished here. But here are some photos of what I have actually been doing, showing the fuselage now all painted up and waiting for a cota of Johnsons Klear. I have also painted the U/C and almost all of the ejections seats. I still have the canopy to deal with with the removal of the mould seam down the middle of it. Any comments as alway gratefully received.

F-14Tomcat033.jpg

F-14Tomcat034.jpg

F-14Tomcat035.jpg

F-14Tomcat036.jpg

Fingers crossed !!!!

Thanks, I just hope that it works this time.

at least your making progress!

...which is more than can be said for me but nevre mind

your doing fine, keep it up

Fingers crossed !!!!

Took the masking off today and although not briiliant it is better than last time, just requiring a little touch up here and there. Start decalling tonight.

Thanks. The Modeldecal marking have been quite a surprise and have bedded down very well (so far) considering that I must have bought them nearly 30 yrs ago. Tail now done with a small bit of painting due to the design of the decals. I had a small touch up around the nose yesterday, so hopefully tonight I will get most of the bigger decals on here. Hopefull some photos in the next few days of the progress that I have made.