1/48 VF-14 Tophatters F-14a 80th Anniversary scheme

Well my first model for quite a few years, my first ever high detailed attempt, my first documented build, my first build with extras, oh yeah, and my first ever GROUP BUILD! Well I think this one is going to be a lot of cherries popped all at the same time!

I'm planning on doing this scheme

FT48035d.jpg

Using this purchase from ebay :D

KGrHqZigE7EOE6GmkBO0rQgbHkQ60_12.jpg

Once it all arrives it will probably be an out the box build but this kit comes with an added eduard etch kit and MAW sidewinder launch rails. After seeing Jen's guide to the aires cockpit and wheel-wells they could well be going on the shopping list too!

Can't wait to get started on this so the postman better hurry up! :lol:

Edited by DannyB

Very nice choice Danny, I was thinking about this one the other day actually. Just learned it's dark ghost grey :wub:. Enjoy the build.

Mojo/Joel

Cheers guys :)

Well, the kit has now turned up with it's extras and now I just can't wait to get started. :D

Will get all the sprue shots taken tonight and post them up.

Have decided to stick to extras in the box and the fightertown decals, and build the rest OOB. I would love to use the aires cockpit and wheel wells but seeing as this is the first kit I've built in close to 12 years I have to get everything from paint to glue and plasticard!

Will update later :D

Edited by DannyB

Here we go!

The obligatory sprue/box shot

2012-01-11183152.jpg

Not going to get chance to start tonight but will make some headway tomorrow, have read the instruction sheet a couple of times and I can tell you from someone who has only ever built airfix,this one is daunting lol :lol:

Got a little started last night.

Cut off the sprue's for the seats and cockpit areas, cleaned/sanded them up and did some test fitting. I'm absolutely blown away by the amount of detail, even OOB without the eduards photo-etch bits I've got to go on. Absolutely loving it :D

Though quick newbie question, what is the best glue to use for the photo-etched parts and will they take the same primer as the plastic? My plan is to get all the photo-etch parts stuck in place then primer the whole thing in 1 go, is this the best way of doing it or should I primer the photo-etched bits first?

.....I can tell you from someone who has only ever built airfix,this one is daunting lol :lol:

can't help with the last question, tho' I would guess it should be ok, but as for the other comment, I can say you are not alone here......:)

A day of progress, followed by an evening of disappointment.

Started off really well, having finally picked up some modelling supplies so I could finally start getting bits primed and stuck together.

Spent most of the day progressing the pit.

Priming stage, I'm using citadel skull white as a primer after a tip off from a friend who models warhammer collections, and I was really impressed! Goes on nice and smooth and takes the tamiya acrylics really well.

The priming:

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

Next on to the painting!

Got one seat very nearly finished (forget to buy yellow when I was buying all the other paints) and the other is now waiting for it's seat to be done.

Pit pretty much finished apart from a couple of bits that just need finishing off, was really pleased with the screens in both the front and rear of the cabin, a combination of the white primer and 'pooling' clear green has given them a glass like finish. :D

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

Also tried my hand at dry-brushing having never done it before I'm quite chuffed with how the control panels came out. A little heavy in places but the last few bit I did came out better the the first so it's all about getting your own technique.

DSC_0320.jpg

Then;

Disaster struck, having a thing ahead I decided to start dry fitting the pit in to the nose and seeing how bits going together in relation the the canopy and to check everything is lining up and to put it simple, IT DOESN'T! None of it, I have had to shave bits off the pit to get it line up properly between the lip and the wheel-well, fair enough that's not a problem but, my god, if you actually built this kit using the illustrations in the instructions nothing fits together, at all!

Bit put out by this but feeling that it was something I could get round with no great difficulty I tried dropping the pilot and his rear in to their seats. What a joke! The only way I'm going to get them in is by trimming the seat pad down and shaving a large amount of plastic off their backs and bums. :rant:

Annoyed at this I thought 'fine I'll leave them out that's fine just as long as I can still display the cat with the canopy up I'll be happy' Oh, how I was greatly mistaken! I spent ages trying to dry fit everything together, checking the instructions, making sure I was actually looking at the right instructions, checking the internet for resources and images of others who have displayed these kits with the canopy up, and I have come to the conclusion either I have balls'ed up somewhere (which I'm not ruling out) or it is simply not possible.

Went to bed really annoyed and down heartened with the kit and where the models going now. :(

So, basically after to my ramblings this is a massive call for HELP from anyone that has used the OOB kit and displayed the canopy up, how did you do it!? :please:

PS. sorry for the pictures, have only got my phone camera at the moment ;)

Edited by DannyB

Ah don't worry it is a lot lighter, I've used the tamiya equivalent to the listed MrHobby paint, more to do with the camera on my phone than the paint :)

Any body know how to solve my canopy up dilemma? Have had another look at the kit and the instructions and I still can't fathom it :suicide:

Any body know how to solve my canopy up dilemma? Have had another look at the kit and the instructions and I still can't fathom it :suicide:

What exactly is the canopy problem? I've built a few of these OOB and never had a problem.

'freezer'

I want to finish with the canopy up and can see how leaving the extension on the back of the seat holds the angle of the cockpit but can't figure out where or how the back of the canopy sits. :(

There is a part which fits into the canopy itself, part B5. That then sits on the rail, part A4. There should be a lug on the rear bulkhead of the cockpit for part of the canopy to rest on.

I wouldnt get too downhearted....these days I always start on a kit, especially if I've never built a particular one before, on the basis that something or a lot of things will go wrong and I'll spend time fixing things, instead of just putting them together.

That way I'm not too put off when things do go wrong.....

Cheers for the KUTA guys :)

Haven't managed to do much since the weekend and seeing as I still haven't managed to get some pretty fundamental paint colours I doubt I'll get much done in the next few days. But, the plan tonight is to have a bit of a tidy up and a regroup to figure out what I'm doing and what I've done.

Hopefully, my fightertown decals will be on the door-mat waiting for me, but they were posted in the states on the 10th so should be any day now.

Also, having been hunting around the net and through different resources I'm pretty sure the seats are the wrong colour so they'll be getting a bit more work when I get the right colours :blush:

tell you waht Danny - having (finally) actually started last night, I have to admit I sat back and thought, "what have I let myself in for here....?"

The later hasgawa kit is a challenge, so many parts anbd quite a few that are very small....

The earlier kit has it's challenges too, as does the airfix kit

and until now, the only hasagawa kits I've ever buikt are airliners....

so this is...different....

Like I said tho' I'm working on the basis that somnehting will not be right, and I'm diving head first into the unknown as well.

But it will be worth it....it WILL !!

I hope....

Finally starting to get things together now. After looking at loads of different resources on the web I was happy with my ejection seats, the colours were all wrong and the seat isn't an armchair more cushions pads on a hard base! So, it was back to the drawing board and luckily my fightertown decals turn up just in time with some great details just for the seats.

Here is 1 of my much improved seats, am really pleased with it. A little rough around the edges but certainly more colourful and much closer to the real thing. :D

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

Also, after seeing DaveJL's build thread I decided my cockpit need a lot more work. Still as as good as his but I feeling this a bit more too.

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

As previously mentioned my fightertown decals have now turned up so will hopefully get a fair bit done of the weekend.

A quick note on the quality of the decals, I have never used aftermarket decals before and all I can say is Wow! The level of detail is incredible and coupled with the sheer amount of the them, I'm now really tempted to get a 1/48 F-18e to complete the tophatters anniversary pair.