Orders Of The Day...

"Officer Of The Deck....turn the ship into the wind!....Launch All Aircraft!"

....I always wanted to say that....with feeling...and meaning....

there :) I feel better now...

Ok today is the day.....boys and girls, you are now launched into the world and may open your boxes and begin......

Post here your thoughts, observations, comments, wants, desires or fantasies about how you will, might, want or could display your completed 'cats...

(keep it real tho'....no 1/48th scale complete full-size carrier decks - unless you have room for it....)

add what you might add to your completed model to enhance it a little....things like this -

SeaKingJanuary2012002.jpg

SeaKingJanuary2012003.jpg

I only have one of these unfortunately, and as much as I would like a 1/72 version of the carrier launch catapult dio mentioned elsewhere, I'll probably end up scratch building a small bit of deck and using it to display one aircraft at a time...

so whats your thoughts?

and have fun building your F14 Tomcats

:)

my thoughts atm are (even tho the kits are a bit disparate) is to have a carrier deck, with the airfix kit chained to the deck, everything closed and up, the early has. kit being readied to go, and the later has. kit about the depart....

Whether it ends up like that is another matter......

Great stuff Andy, thanks for sharing with us !!!

I'm having a wicked idea of printing your base and try to add the tie-down points with wire....

Thank you for sharing your great resources with us Andy! Fantastic work!

Giorgio, I had the same idea, but first I want to try and figure out how to matt the printed images down because I am using a colour dye sublimation printer to print them out and it gives very shiny prints. I'm going to try shooting some clear acrylic matt varnish onto one this weekend and see how it turns out, but I'm concerned it will cause the paper to curl and crinkle.

Armitage

I'm having a wicked idea of printing your base and try to add the tie-down points with wire....

:ditto: on sharing those Andy, especially the 1/144 option.

You've also given me the motivation to rescue another kit from the shelf of doom too!

Cheers,

Dermot

Thank you for sharing your great resources with us Andy! Fantastic work!

Giorgio, I had the same idea, but first I want to try and figure out how to matt the printed images down because I am using a colour dye sublimation printer to print them out and it gives very shiny prints. I'm going to try shooting some clear acrylic matt varnish onto one this weekend and see how it turns out, but I'm concerned it will cause the paper to curl and crinkle.

Armitage

I've just spent a good hour trawling the net for just these bases and they're right here under my nose!!

On the subject of Matt spray, why not glue the print to backing first then spray, shouldn't crinkle then. If you use water based varnish though don't you run risk of the ink running??

Phil

I'll definatiely give the backing idea a try thanks Phil. The printer I am using prints using blocks of coloured wax which are melted and combined to provide the 16 million colours it can print with so water based varnish shouldn't be a problem other than that it may not adhere to the waxy printed areas. I'm going to have to do a bit of research on this one.

Armitage

this is my master plan :)

Been trying, unsuccessfully, to find the Flightpath carrier tiedowns, I was going to use in my Cat Shot base a while back.

I found the foam boards I had punched out for the tie downs and had started on the JBD pit, but I still haven't found the Flightpath stuff

BM_F14STGB_005.jpg

and heres what it should look like when finished

CatShot_01.jpg

LHS_20100429_2.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen

It looks like you have done some great work on that base already Andy. It's coming together very nicely.

Any chance you can share with us where you got those highly detailed drawings of the carrier deck layout? I'd be interested in trying my hand at making a diorama base myself and those would be very handy indeed.

Armitage