Rifleman 95th Rifles

1964rac

Happy New Year to one and all hope you all got lots of lovely models from Santa.

This figure was not a Chrstmas present but one I purchase at Bugle Call in Bath last year. It is from Bonaparte Figures, nice casting not much flash easy to assembly.

Here is the work so far...

Some ideas for pose and placement of figure:

pic1.jpgpic2.jpg

pic3.jpgpic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

The figure is depicted sitting on the wall. I did not like this pose so I was looking to place him sitting behind the wall.

His left leg was giving me problems as the pose did not look natural. So I remodelled the leg to allow him to be sitted on a bigger barrel. The barrel is from Mini Art (1/35 scale) this to me looked more natural.

I also built up the original wall and added a wooden floor plus rubble.

pic6.jpgpic7.jpg

pic8.jpgpic9.jpg

I have started painting the base - next step will be the figure. More images to come.

Questions and comments as always very welcome.

Cheers

Richard

The second composition works much better, the more compact base allows the viewer to concentrate on the figure instead of a jumble of terrain and the figure pose looks more natural.

Looking forward to seeing this painted.

Damon

The second composition works much better, the more compact base allows the viewer to concentrate on the figure instead of a jumble of terrain and the figure pose looks more natural.

Looking forward to seeing this painted.

Damon

I absolutly concur, the whole model looks much more natural. Looking forward to seeing more progress on this one.

Richard,

Looks like a great figure. I prefer 120mm but could easily make an exception in this case. Please keep the WIP updates coming.

Andrew

Cheers Guys for the comments, here are a few more images as of close of play today.

I have nearly finished the base and started painting the figure...

pica1.jpgpica2.jpg

pica3.jpgpica4.jpg

pica5.jpg

Green of the uniform looks a bit shiny, I hope it will dull down. But not to much of problem, as I will be giving the figure a coat of matt varnish before the washes and weathering process, so this should dull the sheen. :confused:

More to follow tomorrow...

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

Looks like a great figure. I prefer 120mm but could easily make an exception in this case. Please keep the WIP updates coming.

Andrew

Cheers Andrew,

You beat me to it, just added some images of todays work.

Hope to finished painting the figure tomorrow and will post images later in the evening.

Richard

That is a great figure and I really like the setting. Painting is coming along nicely too.

Figures have always scared me but I'd love to have a go...any chance of some tips or a guide? :D

Hi Khimbar,

I would choose a subject that you are very interested in. For me it was Modern British figures. Get a lot of refernece images of the subject as well.

Faces seem to be the area that most people find difficult. I go by the mantra that if it looks alright to you then it will stand up to inspection.

I use Vallejo acrylics for all my figures.

For the faces I give it a base of flat flesh No 955. Then highlight the areas around the eyes, nose, hair line, under the chin (basicaly all shadow areas) with dark flesh No 927. Then over the areas that would catch the light a wash of light flesh No 928. The final process is to apply a coat of games workshop "Ogryn Flesh Citadel Wash" to the entire face. Because of the translucent properties this has the effect of making the dark areas darker and the light areas lighter. Thats about it.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers

Richard

Ok, here is the figure finally painted. Next will be the shadows, highlights and weathering.

The base is finished but will need some dusting once the figure is fixed to the base to tie the two together.

picc1.jpgpicc2.jpg

picc3.jpgpicc4.jpg

picc5.jpg

Will give the figure a couple of coats of matt varnish before I start the shadows and weathering, hope this will dull down the sheen of the green uniform.

Need to work on the barrel as well.

Hope to have the figure finished tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by, comments as always very welcome.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by 1964rac