SAM Datafiles

Moofles

Hello chaps, just a general discussion on the fantastic SAM Datafile series, which books of the series do you own, and what ones would you like to see produced.

I own:

MDF2 - Hurricane

MDF3 - Spitfire Pt1

MDF4 - Lancaster

MDF5 - Spitfire Pt2

MDF6 - Beaufighter

MDF7 - Lightning

MDF8 - Meteor

MDF9 - Bf-109 Pt1

MDF10 - Bf-109 Pt2

MDF11 - Sea Harrier

MDF12 - F-4 Phantom II Pt1

MDF13 - F-4 Phantom II Pt2

MDF14 - F-4 Phantom II Pt3

MDF15- F14 Tomcat

MDF16 - Hunter

Not a bad haul, still after the ever elusive Mosiquito, one day...

Would love to see a set on the 190 similar to the Bf-109 set published.

What about you chaps?

A less impressive selection from me

2 Hurricane

3 Spitfire Pt1

4 Lancaster et al

5 Spitfire Pt2

7 E.E Lightning

11 Sea Harrier

15 Tomcat

17 RAF Harrier

plus Air Data 3 USMC AV-8B

I thought I had the Hunter one as well

How about a V bombers book?

MDF12 - F-4 Phantom II Pt1

MDF13 - F-4 Phantom II Pt2

MDF14 - F-4 Phantom II Pt3

MDF15- F14 Tomcat

MDF17- RAF Harrier

Would like to see F-16, preferably in parts, like the F-4 books, so enough coverage is given to the F-16N!

FW190 would be welcome too.

Parabat

I have the

Spitfire Part2

Hurricane

Beaufighter

Meteor

Phantom Foreign Service

Me 109 Part2

Lightning

Hunter

Just a thought - why don't the publishers re-print the likes of the Mossie - or at least make it available either on line to download like a Kindle product or available on Disc? Come on SAM just think 21st Century !

John T

Just a thought - why don't the publishers re-print the likes of the Mossie - or at least make it available either on line to download like a Kindle product or available on Disc? Come on SAM just think 21st Century !

John T

Apparently issues between the author and his previous employers prevent the mossie book re-print?

Mick

I have/had most at one time or another. They are fantastic books and a one stop shop for the modeller.

Personally, I'm surprised there is not one on the Mustang given the popularity of it, the amount preserved examples and the availability of modelling material.

However, if I was to choose the topic for their next book it would, without doubt, be the Focke Wulf FW190. Vol 1 covering the radials (A/F/G) and Vol 2 covering the inlines (D/152)

Steve

I have both Spitfire books, the second 109 book and the Sea Harrier book. Some are better than others and I am aware that the Spitfire books in particular have some accuracy issues. However, to build up knowledge on a modelling subject quickly they are still hard to beat.

With regard to the Mosquito book I am lucky enough to have access to it via my local library. However, it now shows its age. The models featured are not up to modern magazine standards and the most up to date kit featured are the 1/48 Airfix ones. Most of the conversions are based on Paragon products which have been out of production for years.

I have Lancaster, Spit 1 & 2, Bf 109 Pt 1 & 2, Phantom Pt 1 & 2, Meteor and Lightning. I am about to get the F-14 and would really like the F-111 when it's out. I could probably do with the Harrier/SHAR ones too.

I can do without the F4U, as I have built 6 now and only have my F2G left! Likewise, the Mustang as I have built all my stash and am unlikely to get any more. Same with Skyraider - I only have one left.

F-15/F-16/Tornado/Buccaneer/Jaguar would be nice in the future.

Andy

I have/had most at one time or another. They are fantastic books and a one stop shop for the modeller.

Personally, I'm surprised there is not one on the Mustang given the popularity of it, the amount preserved examples and the availability of modelling material.

However, if I was to choose the topic for their next book it would, without doubt, be the Focke Wulf FW190. Vol 1 covering the radials (A/F/G) and Vol 2 covering the inlines (D/152)

Steve

The Mustang is due out in the next month or so apparently.

I have Spitfire books and also the Hurricane, Mosquito, Lancaster, Meteor and Bf.109 part 1. I have mixed feelings about the series: The best, from a modeler's view, is the "Understanding the subject" chapters, highlighting the differences between the different marks/versions and how to achieve them with the (at the time of writing) existing kits and aftermarket. This chapter is, unfortunately, absent in the Bf109 book. The history chapters are of diverse quality and for most subjects better can be found elsewhere, even in the web. Kit reviews are also of diverse quality - I don't recognize some of my kits in some reviews (but obviously it can happen in other magazines/books). The worst, in my opinion, are the scale drawings. I simply can't thrust Richard Caruana after the Lancaster drawings with the obviously wrong dihedral. I know, it can be unfair as other drawings can be good, but...

Carlos

It's strange you mentioned the lanc drawing as i have that book at home, yet for the life of me i dont know why, but i have yet to study the scale drawing, is it really that far off. I can only echo the statement that on the earlier series of the books the kits used do not stand up well in todays market, but hey, as a one stop shop, still pretty handy. Im really looking forward to the F-111 and firefly books. Good to hear the P-51 one will be out soon.

Have the 2 Spitfire books and the Lancaster book. Actually thought they were good. Wasn't impressed with Sea Harrier book but wouldn't mind having look at RAF Harrier one to see if any better. Wouldn't mind one on the Halifax, Stirling, Whitley and Wellington.

stevie

I have just the one, F-4 Phantom II USAF Variants which was published in 2007.

It is a kind of frustrating resource. The photos and references which the author Andy Evans has put together are extensive and well thought through (including one of my photos on page 75 :yahoo: fame at last!) and I have to say 'well done' for the several additional sections such as 'Target Drones' which are just excellent.

On the downside I was recently building an ADC grey painted F-4C and needed to know what colour/pattern the walkways were as well as some basic information regards weapon loadouts and there was nothing at all, even the colour plates totally avoided showing anything useful, I would have thought a book for modellers would cover these matters even if only basically.

Would definitely buy another one if it was an aircraft I really liked. An F-111 sounds good to me!

Michael

• 1 month later...