Looking for DMolds corrected tailplane kit for CA Do-17Z

Chris Preston

Good Evening All,

I don't have enough posts on this board (yet) to post this down in the "Buy and Sell" forum, so I have to post this here. I have a Classic Airframes 48th scale kit of the Do-17Z, and my research indicates that the tail-plane needs to be corrected. DMolds Modelworks, in Tucson, Arizona, produced a corrected tailplane after-market set for this kit - Do-17Z repositioned tailplane (for CA kits), set #DM48001 , but the owner has advised me that it's out-of-production, and not likely to be produced again.

Would anyone know of a source for this set or have one they're willing to part with (with compensation)?

Happy New Years.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC

Hi

Sorry I haven't got the part but my suggestions would be to try e bay, or use the tail off a hobbycraft one, apparently they got this bit right CA didn't, and I have seen quite a few hobbycraft ones around recently.

cheers

Jerry

review of CA do-17z and info of hobbycraft correct.

http://www.olddogsplanes.com/17z.HTM

Edited by brewerjerry

Hi Jerry,

This is great - more information here than I had before. The "Links to builds or reviews" wouldn't open for me (as the computer couldn't find it), but I think I've got enough here to make a good start.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year to you.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC

Hi

Glad to help, as my link does not work,

try googling olddogsplanes do 17z ,

I know its a ferry ride + a bit, but Imperial Hobbies in Richmond had at least one hobbycraft Do-17 in on thursday morning.

Happy new year to you to

cheers

Jerry ( Vancouver )

main relevance on review of CA Do-17 on the link

" Also missing from the external details is the towel rack antenna on the lower fuselage and the slanted tube for the retractable long wire antenna, although there is a recess in the fuselage where this should mount. The ailerons are missing trim tabs. CA also missed a couple of things in the tail area, for one the starboard fin and rudder on the prototype were angled at 3.5ยบ and there is a prominent hump over the horizontal tail plane and all of these were overlooked. Interestingly enough Hobbycraft did not."

Edited by brewerjerry

Hi Jerry,

I've seeen the Hobby Craft kit at Imperial Hobbies last year (almost bought it, too). I'll see if they still have it.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Chris

Many Thanks for all your help Jerry.

I've managed to locate a DMolds correction set after all - right here in Victoria. The information you provided in your first post will be very helpful.

Happy New Year.

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC :worthy:

main relevance on review of CA Do-17 on the link

" Also missing from the external details is the towel rack antenna on the lower fuselage and the slanted tube for the retractable long wire antenna, although there is a recess in the fuselage where this should mount. The ailerons are missing trim tabs. CA also missed a couple of things in the tail area, for one the starboard fin and rudder on the prototype were angled at 3.5ยบ and there is a prominent hump over the horizontal tail plane and all of these were overlooked. Interestingly enough Hobbycraft did not."

There's also a host of things the CA kit is missing or wrong, in cockpit, in wheelbays, the legs can be greatly improved with SAC Do-217 set, canopy fit is... well... it doesn't fit; no reflectors in wing leading edge, etc etc....

Check this for some inspiration:

http://www.maketarstvo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19531

Edited by dragonlanceHR

Hi Chris,

Here are a couple of not very great photos I took of my Do-17. For your interest I did quite a few alterations to the basic kit.

I used the DMold tailplane, having supplied Dimitri with photos and manual details to help him produce it. I also altered the kit canopy, by grafting in the port windscreen from the Hobbycraft kit as the port windscreen raked back too much. While I was at it, I reduced the height of the DF dome by a saw cut width, opened the pilots sliding window and corrected the positions of the guns. On the nose, I added the external sight and details behind it.

I added the correct mudguards to the undercarriage and repositioned the exhausts, corrected some of the windows in the nose.

I also added the blind approach aerial and trailing aerial mast under the fuselage. There were also a lot of details added inside the cockpit, equipment, webbing seat bases and general improvements to detail.

As well as the original manuals, two books were invaluable :- Kagero Monograph no. 39 & Vom Original zum Modell, Dornier Do 17, from Bernard & Graefe Verlag.

I have also added a photo to help with the cowl bracing.

P1000120.jpg

P1000121.jpg

Bramocowlbracing.jpg

Edited by Iain Wyllie