Moebius 1-4105 Battlestar Galactica

Jasonb13

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm making slow progress on this, real life just keeps getting in the way!

I got everything primed ( Halford's Rattle Can Grey ) and as I'm also using this as the base colour, I got everything painted too! Found a couple of small areas in need of filler, but nothing bad at all, and I re-primed those small sections :

Primed.jpg

With everything painted, I put some gloss coats onto the floors of the flight pods, and put on the decals that come with the kit :

LandingStrip.jpg

I then put a matt coat on them to deaden them down, and got the PE Girders for the Flight Pods done :

Girders1.jpg

They're easy enough to put in and look nice in place on the flight pod. As usual, I doubt much of this will be visible once it's all closed up! :

Girders2.jpg

All I have left to do tonight it to close up the two flight pods. And then, I really can't avoid it any more, it's time for the shoe polish to come out ( after I've bought some! :P )

J.

Well, I bit the bullet and gave it a go. As Picard says, it looks fairly easy on YouTube alright! :)

Firstly, you needs this :

Polish1.jpg

Then you basically get a piece, and cover a section of it in polish. Then you give it a wipe to get rid of the excess ( the more you get rid of, the cleaner it will be obviously ). Once it dries, the paint is basically stained, so make this decision carefully! Then, when it is dry, you go over the high points of the piece with some steel wool, just to give a bit of contrast.

So here's my first attempt, on two of the engines, with the other two to compare. I left my main light off so that the contrast is easier. I'm fairly happy with it, it's not uniform ( I need to be careful about leaving streak marks ) but then I'm also doing a dirty looking ship, so I don't want it uniform. And it's gonna have lots of decals on top of it as well anyhow! Should hopefully get the rest done during the rest of this week.

Polish2.jpg

J.

Looking good! A slightly different weathering technique, that I might try sometime, but shouldn't the decals go on first?

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Thanks...

It's pretty fine steel wool, and it's really just to lightly remove some of the stain. I haven't noticed any scratches to be honest.

As for the decals, nope, they go on afterwards. Well, according to the video anyhow, I'm chancing my arm with all of this! :)

J.

Thanks Neal!

Just with the sponge, nothing fancy! It's literally just dabbing it on into every nook and crany and then cleaning off as much as you want. To be honest, the cleaning off part is tougher, as it's hard to get into everyhwere. But then, of course, those nooks and cranies are meant to be darker and dirtier!

J.

Yet another update!

Well, so much for getting the rest of it done during the week. It's pretty easy to do, apart from some of the more awkward corners and angles putting up a fight. It's not perfect by any means, it's a bit messy in places and I'm sure it could be a lot better, but it's not bad for a first attempt and I keep telling myself that it's meant to look dirty and messy! I've dry fitted everything again so it makes a good comparison to the pre-painted picture further up this page :

Polished.jpg

Next up is putting a coat or two of Future on it before the massive decalling job begins. I'm going to take advantage of a fellow modeller who lives nearby and use his airbrush for the Future, as I don't have an airbrush myself and a brush-painted coat of Future would just be too tough on this kind of surface, it would pool in every little corner and crevice.

J.

• Like 1

Yet another update!

Next up is putting a coat or two of Future on it before the massive decalling job begins. I'm going to take advantage of a fellow modeller who lives nearby and use his airbrush for the Future, as I don't have an airbrush myself and a brush-painted coat of Future would just be too tough on this kind of surface, it would pool in every little corner and crevice.

J.

Jason

Got your message. No problem, mate - couple of coats of the "original" Future are indeed possible. How would Tuesday evening at (say) 8.30 pm suit for the first one? If that suits, just drop by. If not, give me an e-mail and we can arrange another time.

Cheers,

Philip (aka Prenton)

Thanks everyone!

@Adam - Yep, it is quick and effective. Unfortunately though, there's no going back, once it's dry the paint is stained and your only option would be to repaint it!

@Dan - You actually get a PE Colonial 1 for the hanger, but it's really small & I didn't put it in.

@Philip - Thanks, I'll be in touch!

@Dermo - Just thanks! :)

J.

Well, I got some coats of Future on her during the week ( thanks Philip! ) and so she's now ready for the next step. And let's be honest here, as much as I was worried about the Shoe Polish, this is the real big job in this build. I did a quick count, and I reckon I've got around 600 decals to put on, give or take. I got 16 done this evening... :o

After doing my rough count, I thought that maybe I'd only do the 'armour' decals, and leave off the 'rib' ones. But after doing some armour ones, I think it really makes the plastic between the ribs look quite 'dull' in comparison, so I've a sneaking feeling I'm gonna have to do all of them. Which means I may not get it all done by the end of Feb. I'll try my best though!

Anyhow, have a look, it's only a small section, and let me know what you all think. Thanks!

J.

Decalled1.jpg

No problem, Jason, glad to help.

Yes, the decals really give a sense of scale to the spacecraft, don't they? You are probably right to fill in some of the ribs ...but ALL of them??

Good luck with this project...

Philip