Moebius 1-4105 Battlestar Galactica

Jasonb13

Just wanted to add a quick update here! I've been working through this, slowly but surely. Real life has got in the way a few times ( and will again this week ), but I now have everything done apart from the main hull ( which just happens to be the largest piece! ). Got the decals inside the 'bays' of the main hull done last night, and the armour ones on the top of the main hull as well, so tonight I start on the ribs on the top. When they're done it'll be the bottom of the main hull. So far I've done over 850 decals... :o

I'll put up a couple of pics when they're all done, but I was looking for people's advice regarding the final varnish. It's all fairly glossy at the moment, and in some ways that works, what with the Galactica being metal and all that. However, I'm not sure if it's too glossy looking. I think Matt isn't the way to go, so maybe Satin, but I've never used Satin before. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

J.

Well, after three weeks, the decalling is all done. 1120 in total, just in case anyone is wondering! :)

I've a bit of a deadline with this now, I'm hoping to have it finished for next Saturday, so the clock is ticking. As well as finishing the decals, I've put a bit of a wash on the areas that don't have decals, and I've started painting the stand, and I've put a wash on the PE guns as well.

Next steps are adding the guns, putting a wash on the 'Galactica' decals which are *far* too white and clean, and then finally gluing the sub-assemblies together ( apart from the flight pods, as I need to get varnish into the bays ). Then it'll be ready for a gloss varnish to seal all the decals, and then the final satin varnish. After that it's gluing the flight pods in place, finishing the stand and that's that! :)

J.

Decalled2.jpg

Bloody hell that's a feat of perseverance if ever I head it! Some people are saying I've got patience to stick with the trials and tribulations of my Starfury, but this beats me into a cocked hat!

Well done that man!

Thanks!

And I was thinking, while looking at your build Kallisti, that I'm so glad I'm doing mine and not yours! :) Mine just needed patience and a lot of microsol, yours has been giving you all sorts of fit issues, and you're doing lights as well! So I know who wins the prize for perseverance! :)

J.

Thanks everyone!

I reckon I'll just use the stand that comes with it, and won't go with a case. It's a gift to a mate of mine, so if he wants to put it in a case then I'll leave that up to him.

Got some more done over the rest of the weekend. It's all washed etc. now, and the three 'Galactica' decals that were white and shiny aren't anymore! Made a bit of a mess of it, put too much wash on them and struggled to get it off afterwards, but once again I'm gonna go with 'it's the Galactica, it's meant to be messy!' :)

Also got the guns all attached, and everything glued on apart from the flight pods. Got the stand done too, it was a bit awkard trying to brush paint as there is some rather fine detail on it, but it'll do. Will give the Galactica a coat of Klear tonight, let that dry, then a coat of Satin in a couple of night's time, and once that's dried I'll glue the pods in place and it's finished!

J.

Well, I finished this on Wednesday evening, but only got a chance to take pics today. They're not great, but should get the idea across!

All in all, it took 8 weeks, though Christmas & New Year took up some of that. A strange enough build, very little of it was about building itself, it was all about the washes / decals ( 3 weeks alone to do the 1120 decals ). I'm pretty happy with it, I can see lots of things that could look better, but it's one of those builds that I could keep on touching up, and there comes a time when you just have to call it done! It fits well into my 'looks good from a distance' modelling system, and thanks to those decals some of it looks good up close too!

Thanks for all the support, help and advice during this build, it really helped! And well done to everyone else in this GB, it really has some of the best builds I've seen in a GB on BM, such a high standard across the board!

I took quite a few pics, I'll put them all on here, and then the standard 4 or 5 in the Gallery thread.

Thanks again!

J.

Finished1.jpg

Finished2.jpg

Finished3.jpg

Finished4.jpg

Finished5.jpg

Finished6.jpg

Finished7.jpg

Finished8.jpg

Finished9.jpg

Finished10.jpg

• Like 1

Wonderful job, simply stunning, love the brilliant weathering on the lettering, one of the best I have seen, and that includes most of the SF boards.

Its been a great build thread my thread my friend.

Cheers

(p.s. do you still have your kit lettering decals, as I have gone flipping lost mine, and JBot decals is a none starter at present, until the poor chap cheers up?)

That is a top job, without being misinterpreted as a "personal" question... how long it it?

Around 30 x 14 cm, or 12 x 5.5 inches in old money approx,, would love to boast, but that's my BSG, and I'm pretty sure they are all the same.

Hope that helps, a wonderful kit, but still cheaper to import from the US, rather than 50 quid in the UK.

Cheers

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, it means a lot!

@picard - I still have some decals. The kit comes with 3 'Galactica's, one for on top of the main hull ( which I used ) and two for the flight pods, which I didn't use and I still have them. Then the Paragrafix PE comes with decals as well, you get 3 'Galactica's with that set ( for the flight pods ) but I used 2 of them, along with lots of other names incase you wanted to build 'Battlestar Somethingelse'.

Anyhow, if any of them are of use to you, just send me a PM with your address and I'll drop them into the post for you no problem.

@Kallisti - As picard said, it's around 12-13 inches long, a nice impressive size without being too bloody big! :) And definitely get it from the US ( along with the PE / Decals if you want them ) as you'll save a lot of money.

J.