The attempt to turn a pigs ear to Silk purse!

Nobby

Hi Nobby

You're really making this into a silk purse.

I'm really enjoying this and looking forward to more

Happy New Year to you

Roger

Thanks mate!

Same to you too!

Glad your enjoying as well!

Looking great Nobby. That wheel well is brilliant, how did you do it ?

Cheers woods!

Nice job on that Haibag once again!

All I did with the wheel bays was first, I cut strip of plastic card, the width which matched the depth of the bays. I then glued it around the openings, then, glued a piece over them to form the floor. Simple as that mate! That also answers tanks question as to if I moulded them!

Lovely work in those wells Nobby, I'm enjoying this mate!!

Si.

Thanks mate, glad your liking!

Happy New Year Nobby!...nice neat wheel wells mate ;)

Cheers Foz and Happy new year to you too pal!

I love your appraoch to these old kits. Its one I often take myself as not only is it often cheaper, but I also get a nostalgia kick from them. Will you be doing the turret fairing in the raised or lowered position?

Martin

Cheers Martin!

I love trying to fettle these old kits up and like you, its a bit of a nostalgia trip. Not saying I don't like the new kits because I love them so, I may be making something from the pile of Tamigawa and other such stuff I've got. I'm getting such a buzz doing this though, I may yet change my mind! Not too sure about the Turret fairing yet Martin, as it all depends on where the turret is turned, and wether its on the ground or in the air! I'll figure that out later!

Have you vac formed the wheel wells?

Happy New Year.

Happy new year to you too mate and as for your question, see above!

Well, here's the progress so far! A bit more than I thought, but not as much as I'd have liked! Now Crimbo and new year is all but out of the way, may be I can get bashing away as normal!

I've managed to make a new bottom end for her, with new tailplanes, elevators, fin and rudder. All I need now is a bit of Milliput round the base of the fin to simulate the fairings between fin and tailplanes. One thing I noticed on photos of the fullsized, was the ridge where the tailplane joins the top of the fuz. I've noticed that in other kits, they seem to miss this out. I'm no rivet counter, but it is noticeable, so I've glued a small piece of plastic card to bring the tailplanes up a little. Another thing I've noticed, is the thickness of the tailplanes seems to be thinner on the photos than on the drawings I have. The ones in kit that I thought were too thin, actually look ok, but they are too small. Study of pics show them having very little camber as well, so it made the job a lot easier as I didn't have as much grinding or sanding to do.

IMAG0803-picsay.jpg

Another thing that needed replacing was the prop. I've used one from a scrapped Revell Lancaster a mate gave to me after he made a pigs ear out of it! These props are a little bit bigger but not by much so all I needed to do was clip the ends a little, reshape, and thin and form the airofoil section. They look pretty much like the ones in my pics now. The spinner I got from the Hurricane needed the cut outs making again.

I've added some plastic card to the insides of the radiator as well with a bit of scribed on detail.

The bits of plastic card are the start of a scoop for the carb under the nose. When this is fitted, I'll put some Milliput on and form the final shape. Another thing that other kits seem to have a problem with!

IMAG0804.jpg

After a bit of work with a Dremel type tool to hollow the spinner out a bit more and a back plate from some plastic card, you end up with a spinner and prop assembly that looks more like a Daffys! You only have to look at the kit one side by side with the new one I've made! A little bit better I think!

IMAG0808-picsay.jpg

After looking at pics of some Defiants with the same FT codes that are on the Decals of this kit it seems that they had the "fish tail" type exhaust so that's what I'm going to go with. I had some spare from the Airfix sea Hurri as I made the other version and that had the other type. Besides these match up better thickness wise.

The wings aren't glued yet as well!

IMAG0806-1-picsay.jpg

So that's all for now!!!

Nobby

Edited by Nobby
  • Like 1

I can see it from this early stage already that this again is going to be a very accurate looking model coming from you.

I don't know you Nobby but you have my deepest respect not least cause you don't rely on plans only but always double check with photos, every kit manufacturer should take you as a guide, we would be spared from many half exact models lol ...

Edited by occa

Fantastic build, it's already looking so much better. Great work with the prop. I remember a friend building this kit about 20 years ago and he was disappointed with the OOB plane then!

Hey there Nobs - only just spotted this build, but I'll be watching with great interest.

Love what you did with the Daffy's nose - bet it won't be a tailsitter with all that weight up front! :lol:

Edited by crookedmouth

She's coming along rather nicely Nobby!

K

Thanks K!

Aye I'm quite happy the way it is going! I think that there are so many bad remarks and generally bad experiences with this kit that it sort of gets you beliveing that there is going to be nowt but grief, but its going along as well as any other old kit I've ever done. Yes, it'd an old kit and doesn't compare to modern stuff, but that's what everybody does, even I did, but I don't have any regrets about starting it at all. It's not as evil as folk think!

Starting to come together now. The kits prop looks a bit anemic doesn't it, compared to yours.

Yep, sure does! You should have seen it before I cleaned it up!

I can see it from this early stage already that this again is going to be a very accurate looking model coming from you.

I don't know you Nobby but you have my deepest respect not least cause you don't rely on plans only but always double check with photos, every kit manufacturer should take you as a guide, we would be spared from many half exact models lol ...

Thanks Occa, I do my best, but its not perfect. Then again, neither is any model! Im no perfection freak, I just like mucking around modelling that's all. It really challengers one to try to get the best from something as basic as this, plus I love the looking for reference material. I have loads of books, but when you find that info that you really need on a website you never knew about, the joy is great! Now I'm starting to sound like I need help! :D:unsure:

As for the kit makers, well I often wonder why they, with all their money and resources can't do as well as us modellers! I mean, if we can do research part time and spot things, how come they can't? I guess we will never get a perfect kit! :D:huh:

Well, I've got the gear bay fitted out, only a couple of little bits that I want to add to finish them. They took a bit longer than planned but I'm happy how they turned out. Lead wires been added to simulate the plumbing. First time I've really used it but I do like it! Thanks Kieth!

I wasn't going to put the ribbing in as the pics of the resin one don't have any, but relented! I have some Reff pics of the Hendon Daffy, but they don't really show up inside the wheel bays but the drawings I have do, so I went with them. I've still got the carb scoop to do, but I'm itching to get started on the pit and turret. Hey, sounds like the name of a pub! :drink:^_^

IMAG0815-picsay.jpg

Soooo...see ya later!

• Like 1

Fantastic build, it's already looking so much better. Great work with the prop. I remember a friend building this kit about 20 years ago and he was disappointed with the OOB plane then!

Cheers mate! Even 20 years ago it was past It's best! Bit like me!

Hey there Nobs - only just spotted this build, but I'll be watching with great interest.

Love what you did with the Daffy's nose - bet it won't be a tailsitter with all that weight up front! :lol:

Thanks Matey!

Glad your along with us! You wouldn't be the first to mention that weighty nose, but I've checked it out and its ok! ^_^

Thanks Occa, I do my best, but its not perfect. Then again, neithe is any model! Im no perfection freak, I just like mucking around modelling that's all. It really challengers one to try to get the best from something as basic as this, plus I love the looking for reference material. I have loads of books, but when you find that info that you really need on a website you never knew about, the joy is great! Now I'm starting to sound like I need help! :D:unsure:

As for the kit makers, well I often wonder why they, with all their money and resources can't do as well as us modellers! I mean, if we can do research part time and spot things, how come they can't? I guess we will never get a perfect kit! :D:huh:

The perfectionism lies in the reasonable use of what is necessary to make it look perfect to the eye in relation to the the scale

What you are doing is just right the right amount, it's the shape and the proportions that are important not the last correct rivet in the cockpit under the pilots seat.

Edited by occa

Lead wires been added to simulate the plumbing. First time I've really used it but I do like it! Thanks Kieth!

You're more than welcome John, good to see it actually being used rather than sitting for ever in my box of stuff!!

Well I think that's all because of people like you - they know that you'll keep buying their rubbish kits & fixing the defects for them!! So why bother to get things right?! :P:D Seriously the thing that gets me is that OK, Airfix should have got even the Defiant a 'bit more right' even when it was released, but as you mentioned earlier, with everything that is available on t'internet these days, there really is no excuse why people like Revell can continue to make such daft blunders as they have with brand new kits like the Halifax (& the Lanc & 48th Mossie before them!) - & I often wonder if the Chinese government actually distorts drawings & pictures on their internet - maybe that's why Trumpyboss keeps making such silly mistakes....!!

Wheel wells look great Nobby....as is the rest of the build mate.....you going so fast with this one that soon you will have to make the decision of what next to build but I'll wager you know already! ;)

Edited by Fozzy

A really inspiring thread. Not just superb workmanship but keen observational skills as well. Wish I had your eyesight and patience! Not to mention ability to turn out models in less than a decade!

Edited by Seahawk

Wheel wells look great Nobby....as is the rest of the build mate.....you going so fast with this one that soon you will have to make the decision of what next to build but I'll wager you know already! ;)

Thanks mate!

Not sure about the speed thing like, as I always think of myself as a slow going sort of guy, but then again, I suppose it is considering its not bake and shake! As for the next project, I was planning on doing one of my Tamiya kits as a sort of chill build, but I'm thinking of going for a full scratch build soon so I may do that. Got a couple of subjects I'm thinking about, one I suggested to you, a while back, the other, a fictional plane. That's all I'm going to :wicked: sa :wicked: ! :D

Loving this build, the wheel wells look fantastic!

Martin

Cheers Mate, compliment appreciated!

A really inspiring thread. Not just superb workmanship but keen observational skills as well. Wish I had your eyesight and patience! Not to mention ability to turn out models in less than a decade!

Thanks mate! TBH my eyes are rubbish! The magnifier I use on all my builds now really helps! I do like to pride myself though with having lots of patience. I think that its something to do with building R.C models and starting with nothing more than a few sheets of balsa and lumps of block balsa! I'm pretty sure that's why I don't mind starting out with the older kits, and goes a long way to explain the workmanship, although I don't really consider it outstanding compared to other on BM, but its a nice compliment all the same! Hope that doesn't sound too arsey!

Coming alonge very nicely.

Cheers Jimbo! It's coming along a lot better than I planned! Like I said before, its not the beast that I thought it would be!

Looking great Nobs, I'm interested to see what you do with the pit too.

Thanks mate! I'll be honest and say I'm just going to shamelessly copy the resin one I have pics of, like I did with the wheel wells. Same for the turret innards. I'll be adding a little extra as I see fit though from my reffs!

Till later, I bid you all farewell!

Stunning build so far bud, great looking undercarriage bays.

Thanks mate!

Bit hard to though switching between this and the SE I'm doing for Foz! ;)

This is going very well Nob's, looks excellent!

Si.

Thanks Si!

like I said before, a lot easier than is anticipated. I'm getting a lot of enjoyment from this build!

so on to the updates

here's where I'm up to so far.

I've made and shaped the new carb intake and that's got to fixed on but I've got to add a small pipe that comes out of the back of it which I'll make with a piece of plastic rod suitably shaped. not a big thing but its noticeable on pics of the full sized.

I've also added a bit more to the wheel bays. This just consisting of some fuz wire stuck to the sides to give a little more interest as the resin ones I copied seem a little lacking in that department. I've also added a bit more Milliput to the nose to make it look more like the photos as well.

Nothing glued at the moment in the pic, I've just placed it there to see what it looks like. The Hurricane radiator looks like its still covered with rivets but it is smooth. It's the silver plastic that still shows the things!

IMAG0829-picsay.jpg

The failing at the back of the turret was a canvas covered frame work which you can see in photos, so I've done a test piece to see how I could simulate this with some fizzy drink can. Quite easy and effective really by just scoring the inside of it.

IMAG0820-picsay.jpg

I've also done a little fine tuning of the fuz with a bit of scraping with a blade to refine the the look. I think I've pretty well much caught the look so I'm happy with that. I've also done the openings for the fairing and turret. The next job is the pit!

IMAG0831-picsay.jpg

IMAG0823-picsay.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Nobby

• Like 1