The attempt to turn a pigs ear to Silk purse!

Nobby

Arrrggggh! :analintruder:

Don't go away just yet! Yes I know the kit could/ has been described as a pile of :shit: but bear with me on this as the plan is to TRY to make the best I can of it!

To be honest, it should be looked at as a scratch build rather than a kit build, so anybody looking who has never come across this kit, I warn you now, its not nice!

The main reason for starting on this is that just lately I'm getting a real kick from scratching bits for my builds, another is nostalgia. I made this as a kid, way back in the 70's but the only thing that I was bothered about was straffing my mates army on Sundays when we had battles! Happy days!

Anyway, I'll not bore you with my nostalgic mush so, here's the box!

IMAG0771-picsay.jpg

This is what you get for £5.99! I remember it costing about half a crown in a plastic bag!

IMAG0759-picsay.jpg

Don't remember the rudder been as bad as this though! Seems like Hornby tried to "fix" the tool by roughly grinding some "detail" in! :shrug:

IMAG0761-picsay.jpg

As you can see the nose is out! It follows ok at the top but its out in plan veiw, so the whole thing needs attention.

IMAG0763.jpg

Some chopping and hacking later....

IMAG0766.jpg

So that's a start! I've removed the molded in turret detail as I'll be making one from scratch. The idea is to make it with the doors open so you can see the gun detail.

I think this is going to take a while, but, I'm determined to make a go of it, so it'll drive me nuts or I'll be a better scratch builder! Keep watching to see which! :D:shrug:

Nobby

Edited by Nobby
  • Like 2

I found my old copy of 'Scale Models- Aircraft from the Battle of Britain' compendium in the loft a while ago. One of the articles is from Ray Rimmel when he beat the snot out of this kit, would a photocopy be of use, or do you already have it?

Damon

This is shaping up to be a magnificent fight: Nobby, scratch builder and old kit improver par excellence takes on a kit so awful even the Devil disowned it.

Smart money is on you to win this one Nobby, anyone who has seen your Tiffie and Stringbag builds will know you've all the determination and skills this thing needs. Good luck! I'm breaking out the :beer: and :popcorn:

I'd heard that this kit was horrendously inaccurate but until I saw the picture of the fuselage half on top of the plan I hadn't realised how bad it was.

Nobby, I can't help but think you probably take cold baths in midwinter & walk barefoot on a cinder path to check the mail box. Hells bells, talk about masochism, but having seen what you did to the Tyhoon I'll be watching this with interest & anticipation. :D Keep it up that man. :thumbsup:

Steve.

I found my old copy of 'Scale Models- Aircraft from the Battle of Britain' compendium in the loft a while ago. One of the articles is from Ray Rimmel when he beat the snot out of this kit, would a photocopy be of use, or do you already have it?

Damon

Thanks very much for the offer my friend, but that is what I have already. I'm using the plans but doing it myyyyyyy wayyyyy :whistle:

This is shaping up to be a magnificent fight: Nobby, scratch builder and old kit improver par excellence takes on a kit so awful even the Devil disowned it.

Smart money is on you to win this one Nobby, anyone who has seen your Tiffie and Stringbag builds will know you've all the determination and skills this thing needs. Good luck! I'm breaking out the :beer: and :popcorn:

Cheers for that mate! I'm not going to say it'll be spot on but it will look better!

:o

Bud, you have big kahunas! I would run a mile if I saw this!

Seriously though, I will be watching this to see how you make a real masterpiece from a lump of plastic.

:worthy:

Ahh that's why I'm walking funny! :lol: :lol:

It will be very exciting to watch a miracle happen before our very eyes! I'm with you, Nobby! Full speed!

Cheers,

Bill

What's that old saying? Miracles I can do...the impossible takes a little longer! :lol:

Nobby, I can't help but think you probably take cold baths in midwinter & walk barefoot on a cinder path to check the mail box. Hells bells, talk about masochism, but having seen what you did to the Tyhoon I'll be watching this with interest & anticipation. :D Keep it up that man. :thumbsup:

Steve.

And beat Chuck Norris up as well! :boxing::fight::rofl:

I'm in from the start on this one!

Thanks matey! :thumbsup:

How much or the kit will be left after you correct it!?

I'll bookmark this one.......

Trevor

Thanks Trevor!

Actually more than I thought but I thought I might get away with more!

Strewth that does not look fun at all Nobby!

I'll be getting a comfy chair ready for watching this then!

Si.

Cheers Si!

To tell the truth, I am having fun! Really! I love chopping and hacking although I'm a little less enthusiastic about sanding but I've managed to work my way round that by taking a different angle to it, I've manger to work out ways to avoid loads of sanding. If you keep following this you'll see...hopefully! ;)

I honestly dont remember the tail being like that, hmmm. Good luck on this one bud, your going to need it.

Thanks mate!

Yep, looks like they had a go at fixing the tool, but its ended up bodged! Whoever did that should've gone to Specsavers!

Thanks everybody who's commented so far but it would seem that in trying to answer everybody I've exceeded my quote quota! So thanks to everybody!

Seems nobody has a good word for the old girl, but that's not a supprise really as the kit is a product of its time. Back in the 60's it was probably ok, but by todays standards...... :blush:

So why am I doing it? Well as I've said, nostalgia is one of the reasons, but also I like doing this sort of thing. Another reason is the price of decent kits of it. This won't cost much to do because I don't have to buy anything for it. The last reason is because I'm trying to work up to a complete scratch build eventually so its all good practice I say! Got to admire folks on here who do scratchbuilds! :D:worthy:

So here's tonights little battle!

I've done a bit more scraping of the insides of the fuz to prep it for the cockpit detail I'm planning for it. Just gives a little more room to fit stuff in and I've got it glued together with a piece of plastic card to space the rear of the fuz to make the rear of the fuz match the drawing for width. It wasn't far out but the kit turret is too small so it had to be done as the turret I'm going to make would be too big. Also the fairing wouldn't be wide enough to look right.

Unlike the Tiffy, I'll be mounting the cockpit gubbings on the top of the wing before its fitted. All being well, tomorrow I'll start the nose, which is going to be made from Milliput, so folks, you will get to see the way I'm going to tackle it! If it works as planned, I should have very little sanding to do, and it should be a way to make other bits as well. I may make a start on the cockpit as well or the wheel wells.

Here's the pics!

Oh aye...sanded all the rivets as well!

IMAG0775-picsay.jpg

Radiator has been chopped off as well for relocation!

IMAG0774-picsay.jpg

I may use the rad, or I may make a new one. Like I said, if the plan works for the new nose, I'll post how I've done it.

Till later...

Thanks for looking folks!

Nobby

• Like 1

Yikes Nobby

They (whoever!) didn't do the old mouldings any favours did they?

I remember a model that whilst being inaccurate did at least capture the essence of the Defiant that was "catchable" The tail end these days is an utter disgrace, whoever decided to market it in that condition should be facing a short walk to a pockmarked brick wall

Looks like there is fun to be had ahead

Bill

Good start their Nobby, I have the correction nose for this, if you want it its yours.

My Grandad used to work on the turrets on these, as he was a carpenter by trade, up in the Midlands, not sure what part he made but I'd imagine there was some wood in the frame work