Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6/R-3 (1:48)

Tonka

I am very interested to build an Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 in 1:48 scale, an I saw a very attractive model

from UM , -R3, and I liked the comments about its accurate dimmension, better than Hasegawa they said.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=...ent&id=3111

Many moons ago I had the Fujimi 1/48 Me-109 G and it was finely detailed, in my oppinion also better than

the Hasegawa ones but I do not know about its dimmensions accuracy.

I believe I can handle with any kit's shortcomings but the accuracy ... is an impossible mission without

perfect plans, etc...

So I would like to know from the 109s freaks what are the best accurately shaped and dimmensionaly

correct Me-109 Gs kits in 1/48 on the market ?

Thank You and Good Luck

Tonka

- Yes, I like WWII aircraft too !

The Zvezda Me-109Fs are the best starting point to create a quaterscale Me-109G. Only four tiny scoops need to be added, plus filling out the quaterlight canopy window and the retractable tailwheel. The G-6 bulges could come from another kit, perhaps Hasegawa. There really isn't much else that is a comparable starting point.

Jean

The Zvezda Me-109Fs are the best starting point to create a quaterscale Me-109G. Only four tiny scoops need to be added, plus filling out the quaterlight canopy window and the retractable tailwheel. The G-6 bulges could come from another kit, perhaps Hasegawa. There really isn't much else that is a comparable starting point.

Jean

Making the Zvezda F into an other early G, g-1/g-2, is pretty easy, as Jean says, but also add some panel lines to upper wing, and change some fuselage hatches. Why the Zveda F? the tooling is based on the actual MANUFACTURING drawings, and is the best 1/48 109 so far for shape.

You may need to deepen the oil cooler, and the canopy should have thicker canopy bars.

the square hood in the Airfix E is the correct G type, as Airfix used the 109E at Hendon for reference, but someone forgot to tell them the opening canopy part was a replacement off a G model.

More work for a G-6, add gun bulges, maybe change gun troughs, add wheel bulges, add new wheels, as the G-3 onwards have thicker wheels.

Though later G-6 could have the tall tail and erla hood as well, so depends on what plane you would like to model.

I have not seen the UM kit, it's supposed to be pretty good, though needing a new canopy.

The Hase kit has some errors in fuselage shape, a bit short and the rear fuselage cross section is too wide, [try fitting a Hase 109 G canopy onto the zvezda F, it's about 1.5 mm too wide!]

The old Revell/Monogram G-10 [reboxed as a K-4 by revell, but it is not] while old has overall a very good shape, though the exhausts are apparently about 2mm too high according to Dave Lochead in New Zealand.

The Fujimi kit apparently has some very hard to correct shape errors around the nose....

The Academy/Hobbycraft kit is reasonable, it has some errors.... but has separate wing and fuselage bulges in many kits, which may be a good source for adding to Zvezda 109.

Look for Lyn Ritger's 109 datefile part 2 F-K, for more information.

If you really want a lot of information on this one, ask on Hyperscale or the Luftwaffe Experten board, but this really is a can of worms.

I hope this gives you some pointers, I really don't have time to type out the essay length answer this requires!

HTH

T

I would take Hasegawa over them all for their ease of build. I have previously done a G-10 and am now working on a K-4, and the fit is very nice. The Zvevda kit sure looks nice too, but the amount of work required to get it right would sure make the Hasegawa one the way to go in my eyes.