1:72 Trumpeter English Electric Lightning F.2A

I'm not sure - but this MAY just have a 4 cannon fit - though I suspect it may just be a darkened panel.....

The Lightning F-2A could not have 4 cannon's and missiles fitted at the same time. The lower cannons were fitted in a removable pack as per the missiles. You had to remove one to fit the other.

Scarlet said:
The Lightning F-2A could not have 4 cannon's and missiles fitted at the same time. The lower cannons were fitted in a removable pack as per the missiles. You had to remove one to fit the other.

Thanks for that - good to know.

It shouldn't affect my build though, as I have a photo of the exact plane I'm modelling (below) that shows the indentations in the fuselage for both the top and bottom cannons. I guess that means if the missiles were fitted, they didn't cover the lower cannon openings?

XN793 1

Cheers,

Bill

Hi mates,

Well, as you may have guessed, I regret not fixing that crazy Trumpy oversized APU exhaust. So let's fix it!

First, I think we should rip out that silly straw that I put in, and clean up the edges around the original Trumpy-hole. This leaves the following gaping wound in the side of the fuselage:

100_1734

What to fill it with? We need something that is solid, and that I can blend in with the kit styrene. I decided to use a hollow plastic rod that had an outside diameter equal to the minor axis of the elliptical hole in the fuselage. As it turns out, I had a rod that will work. However, the inside diameter of the rod (which will end up being the opening for the APU) was too small, so I'll need to drill it out. I measured the size of the APU exhaust from my 1:72 scale drawings, and selected the closest drill I had, mounted it in my hand chuck and "drilled" it out. Here is a shot that shows the rod being fitted into the hole in the fuselage:

100_1736

Next, I needed to cut off the end of the rod at an angle so it be flush with the fuselage. I could, of course, take the major and minor axes of the ellipse and calculate the angle, or I could just mark all the way around the rod and just cut along the mark. Which is what I did:

100_1735

Finally, we insert the rod back through the hole, line it up nice and flush to the fuselage, add a couple of zaps of superglue, and we're ready for some putty to blend things together:

100_1737

100_1738

I think it will work! And if my drawings are correct, the new APU exhaust will be pretty close to the correct size, and much better than what was provided by Trumpeter. Now for a nice pint of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout while the putty dries!

Cheers,

Bill

Some stunning work shown here, you said there is no modern tooling of the Lightning in 1:72, Heritage Aviation do one...infact you have the correct parts for the trumpy kit that are actually taken from heritages Lightning. While the Heritage Aviation Lightning is a resin kit and as such has all the foibles of resin it is still a damned sight better starting point for a super detail build then the trumpy or matchbox offering. Anyway..Beautiful and inspiring work.

Moofles said:
Some stunning work shown here, you said there is no modern tooling of the Lightning in 1:72, Heritage Aviation do one...infact you have the correct parts for the trumpy kit that are actually taken from heritages Lightning. While the Heritage Aviation Lightning is a resin kit and as such has all the foibles of resin it is still a damned sight better starting point for a super detail build then the trumpy or matchbox offering. Anyway..Beautiful and inspiring work.

Thanks, Moof. I don't usually go to such lengths to make a kit more accurate (I'm not a "rivet counter"), but there are just so many really bad blunders from Trumpy. As Duncan said, you fix one only to find another! Next up is to find a way to correct the spine, and make it taper properly from the cockpit to the tail. I'll probably just do some sanding, but I'll have to fill the inside with resin to make sure that I don't break through. :wacko:

I was too far into this project before I knew about the Heritage resin kit. I've read your review here on Britmodeller, so I can give it a try next time. I'm quite sure that I must have more than one Lightning in my collection! Has anyone built the Heritage kit and posted a WIP thread? I'd love to see that if someone could provide a link. And how are the wings? Is the "triple kink" properly rendered? From what I've seen or read so far, only Airfix has managed to get that right in their 1:48 kits.

At one time or another, I had the Airfix, Frog/Revell/Hasegawa, Matchbox, and Trumpeter 1:72 kits. None were correct (no kit is) and I chose to use the Trumpy kit due entirely to the very nice engraved surface detail. At the end of the day, I think the model will be OK.

Cheers,

Bill

Hello mates,

Another quick update - I've started getting the back end of the fuselage together. I thought about several ways to do this, and decided to first glue the Quickboost side panels onto the exhaust section to make sure that I had a good alignment there. I figured that way, if I had any fit problems it would be along the fuselage joint which would be easier to fix. Luckily, I did not see too big of a fit problem. Here is how it looked prior to attachment to the fuselage:

100_1739

Rather than fill with putty, I used gap-filling superglue. I did this since I knew I would need to re-scribe some of the panel lines after final sanding, and I've had good success scribing superglue. OK, not good success (because I'm a lousy scriber) but success anyway. Putty always chips. So here it is after the sanding - it's hard to see the superglue (because it's clear) but overall I am very happy with how things fit together.

100_1740

There is a small gap on top, where the Quickboost panels come together, but this will be entirely hidden by the vertical tail, so no worry. I've read several accounts on-line of people having horrible fit problems with these Quickboost parts, so maybe I got lucky. Or maybe my idea of attaching them to the exhaust first was a good one! Everyone else seems to be attaching to the kit fuselage first, some even before the fuselage halves are joined. Next, I'll be re-shaping the dorsal spine to reflect the actual taper from front to back, then attach the vertical tail. Progress!

Speaking of the top of the rear fuselage, right at the end, I see in actual Lightning photos what looks like some kind of small pod right there - is this an antenna, or something to do with the brake parachute? Looks like I'll have to scratchbuild that on my model, as there is nothing similar to it in the kit.

While we're at it, I stumbled across this shot of a "real" raptor. I think I now know where the Lightning got its triple kinked complex leading edge shape! :)

raptor

Cheers for now,

Bill

raptor.jpg

That is exactly how the Trumpeter Lightning looks if it is built straight out of the box. Short nosed with a dumpy belly and wings too far forward!

I'm continuing to be amazed by your perseverance and patience Bill, keep up the good work I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

That is exactly how the Trumpeter Lightning looks if it is built straight out of the box. Short nosed with a dumpy belly and wings too far forward!

But nowhere near as beautiful....!!

A friend of mine built one of the Trumpy horrors almost as soon as it came out. The one thing that immediately struck me when I first saw it was what appeared to be an almost total lack of the Lightnings charecteristic anhedral. Looking at the head on pic that Bill posted comparing the Trumpy/M'box wings I think that it is the way they've mis-done the leading edge that may be the major cause of that?

You're showing great patience with the thing Bill (& not a little skill), I think I'd have also condemned the thing to a lingering death back in its box before now....!!

Keef

Thanks guys! Your encouragement helps keep me going on this project, which is turning into more than what I first expected!

I've been beating my head against a wall trying to figure out how to modify the Trumpy wing's leading edge. I just can't think of any way to do this, so I've figured I'd have a try at re-scribing the Matchbox wings (which have raised panel lines). I should do this anyway, as scribing is a skill I don't have and need to acquire! As we saw earlier, both wings have their different problems. I'll probably end up using the Trumpeter wings, as I'm quite sure I won't be able to duplicate their exquisite engraved panel line detail.

I re-shaped the spine to include the right amount of taper. It's amazing what just this little adjustment makes to the look of the model. I didn't think it would have a big effect, and almost didn't bother with it, but I'm sure glad I did!

I mounted the belly tank last night, did my first round of adding putty and gave the fuselage its first coat of primer. That revealed some spots that need fixing, so that task is on the list for today as well. I'll post some pictures soon.

Cheers,

Bill

Hello mates,

Just a couple of quick updates and my usual lousy camera work. First, my attention went back to the spine. I measured my drawings, studied my photos, and I had a good look at every built-up 1:48 Airfix Lightning I could find on the net. The reason for the latter is that it is generally considered the best injection Lightning. After all of this, I determined that I needed to create a taper of about 2mm from a certain panel line in the front (right about where the spine flares out to join the cockpit) and the rear where the spine meets the vertical tail. I don't know how well this we will be captured in my photos, but here goes. Here is a shot of the fuselage against my drawings, but before the modification:

100_1716

You've seen that one before, but it was the only shot I had. Notice that the height of the spine from the top of the fuselage looks essentially constant all along. (In reality, it tapers by about 0.5mm, not quite enough). Here it is after my sanding sessions:

100_1741

It doesn't look like much, but it makes a big difference in person. Here is the plane that I'm modelling, which shows the taper to good effect:

1022465F

Next, I added the belly tank and applied some putty at the base of the vertical tail, and around the tank. Since the Matchbox fuselage is so much skinnier than the Trumpeter kit (too skinny I believe) the tank doesn't fit as well as I would like. But its profile and cross section are so much better than anything else.

100_1742

100_1744

Next, I had a look at the ventral fins which attach to the rear of the belly tank. Compared to my drawings, the Matchbox fins are too small, and the Trumpeter fins too big (beginning to sound like a stuck record). I thought the shape of the Trumpy fins would work better, as long as a slight adjustment is made (i.e. hack a big chunk off the back), like is shown by my blue line. Plus, the Trumpy fins were much thinner, which would look better.

100_1745

You'll notice that I've sanded around the belly tank, and applied some primer. I'm not happy with this joint, so I'll be added more putty, doing some sculpting, and trying again.

Cheers from snowy 10°F Rottenchester, NY

Bill

This is labour of love, isn't it? Thanks for helping me save my money. I had been thinking of buying the Trumoy kit but not now. Beautiful workmanship though.

Martin

:D

You're supposed to kiss the Frog?? :P

Nice detailing on your Lightning. Interesting thread - and I can't wait to start on my 1/48 Lightning.

Also, I noticed how you use the scale drawings to good effect. Have to consider doing this myself!

martin hale said:
This is labour of love, isn't it? Thanks for helping me save my money. I had been thinking of buying the Trumoy kit but not now. Beautiful workmanship though.

Martin

Well it certainly has been labor! Thanks for the compliment, Martin, it means a lot (still admiring your TSR.2, as I have almost the same build planned in 1:72).

I was thinking about picking up the Trumpy 1:72 F.3 (because I absolutely love the 56 Squadron red/white checkerboard markings) but I'm pretty sure I don't want to go through all of this again. We'll see, maybe the F.3 belly tank is OK. Seahawk's thread from 2009 seemed to indicate that it will be OK. Fixing the back end isn't so bad, although the Quickboost resin parts aren't entirely right either.

The Lightning is one of my favorite aircraft - but I never had a chance to see one in the air. You guys are lucky!

Cheers,

Bill (off to mount the wings today - at the correct anhedral! As someone mentioned, this makes a world of difference in making the kit look right.)

I was thinking about picking up the Trumpy 1:72 F.3 (because I absolutely love the 56 Squadron red/white checkerboard markings) but I'm pretty sure I don't want to go through all of this again. We'll see, maybe the F.3 belly tank is OK.

The F1a and F3 kits have the same problem with the belly tank as the F6 kit, when looking from head on they have that strange bulged appearance where the sides should be fairly flat. Guess who bought a squadron of them when they first came out without really checking up on them first? :banghead:

Edited by Duncan B

Bill - she's looking great! :)

Re. early tanks - again I can only comment on the 1:32 kit (but I'm sure they reflect the same issues as they'd be based upon a common initial CAD model).

As well as being too bulged in cross section - I also discovered they needed lengthening quite a bit. Where they are better than those on the F Mk 2A/F Mk. 6 is in profile - were they are not far off the correct depth.

Here's what I ended up doing to it in 1:32:

180small272.JPG

Iain

Edit - as to seeing them in the air - yes - those of us that have are lucky I guess - they really were quite a sight/sound/performer. My first aviation memory (age 4) was seeing a four-ship takeoff from Coltishall (may have been Wattisham... we lived in Norfolk at the time) and watching these amazing sounding silver darts go straight into a vertical climb. Left quite an impression... :wub:

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Fantastic stuff Bill.A thought re. the wings...I'd considered small saw cuts where the inner kink is, and bending the leading edge down. The plastic is inredibly soft though! As for the F3 belly tank, It may be short in length, but in this scale its not as noticeable as the 1/32nd kit - it actually matches the drawing in the Warpaint rather well. As for the cross section being too bulged wet and dry should work here.

The Lightning is one of my favorite aircraft - but I never had a chance to see one in the air. You guys are lucky!

Binbrook was my first posting after joining the RAF. Spent a great three and a half years on the 'hill'.

Great Build Navy Bird and well researched... Such a shame The Lightning is not really done any justice in any 1/72 form. :(

My Uncle worked on the Saudi Lightning F Mk53`s in the 1970`s. The Americans out there called them lluminum Tubes!

When you saw and heard a Lightning take off and go ballistic it stays with you the rest of your life.

I was toying with the new Airfix Lightning but its out of my 1/72 scale at the moment. As you know 1/72 Lightnings are rather dated these days sadly.

Great to see you take the bull by the horns and ring out a decent 1/72 build of this classic Aircraft. Your aftermarket route looks expensive but should pay you great dividends with the end result, After the work you have put in to her. :)

Again great work on a great aircraft.

Duncan B said:
Guess who bought a squadron of them when they first came out without really checking up on them first? :banghead:

Welcome to the club! I always fall for the lovely engraved detail and the sharp, crisp moulding. It seems that I never find out about the "issues" with a kit until I bring it home! :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Clark said:
Fantastic stuff Bill.A thought re. the wings...I'd considered small saw cuts where the inner kink is, and bending the leading edge down. The plastic is inredibly soft though! As for the F3 belly tank, It may be short in length, but in this scale its not as noticeable as the 1/32nd kit - it actually matches the drawing in the Warpaint rather well. As for the cross section being too bulged wet and dry should work here.

I'll probably give the F.3 a try. After my learning experience on the F.6, it should be a breeze! Plus, I have your 1:32 scale thread to guide me through the pitfalls. How is that coming along? Haven't seen any updates in a while.

Cheers,

Bill

TerryUK said:
Great Build Navy Bird and well researched... Such a shame The Lightning is not really done any justice in any 1/72 form. :(

Please, Mr. Airfix: Scale down your excellent 1:48 Frightnings and I promise that all members of Britmodeller will buy at least one! Or Mr. Revell: Locate whoever it was that created your 1:72 Tornado and Ju-88 kits, and have them make a new tool Lightning. Just be sure that the guys who made the new Halibag kit aren't allowed in the room.

Cheers,

Bill