A380 900 Conversion

nigelr32

Here's how I've done the main gear. Pretty much the same as the front really....

These are the parts that make up one main gear.

Mainundercarriage.jpg

Following some drilling and cutting, the same as the front really..

Mainundercarriage1.jpg

If you'd like to know more, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for looking

Nige

Edited by nigelr32

I'm a detail freak - ignore me and if your lucky I might go away

unlikely but you never know.....

Kevin, the last thing I want anyone to do is "Go away", in fact, I'd like some links to some of your builds, particularly that beautiful Swissair model you showed us all in the "First Airliner" thread.

I'm also a detail freak, but usually with 1/32nd scale kits. I'm not sure I could run to 1/144th detail???

I AM LOVING THIS NIGE

Thanks Chris, will you be having a go at these U/C mods on one of your 15 kits??

MORE, MORE, MORE

OK OK OK!!!

Nige

Edited by nigelr32

Kevin, the last thing I want anyone to do is "Go away", in fact, I'd like some links to some of your builds, particularly that beautiful Swissair model you showed us all in the "First Airliner" thread.

I'm also a detail freak, but usually with 1/32nd scale kits. I'm not sure I could run to 1/144th detail???

Thanks Chris, will you be having a go at these U/C mods on one of your 15 kits??

OK OK OK!!!

Nige

GOOD, GOOD, GOOD

hmmm....I need to repost a lot of my pics - an IT rebuild broke the links to my photobucket acount so although the account is still there, and the original posts are, you just cant see the pics :(

as to detail, if it's on a real one, I have a go at putting it on a model, even in 1/144 and 1/200

Edited by kev1n

hmmm....I need to repost a lot of my pics - a it rebuild broke the links to my photobucket acount so although the account is still there, and the original posts are, you just cant see the pics :(

as to detail, if it's on a real one, I have a go at putting it on a model, even in 1/144 and 1/200

I REALLY want to see some of your work!! PLEASE sort you photobucket account!!!

Nige

LMAO.....its not the pb account, just the pc rebuild.....

"sigh"......I'll go look up my - some of - older posts and repost the pics then

I've done a bit more on the '900 today.

primerrubbeddown.jpg

This is how i find low spots and gaps, especially when working with white plastic. I spray a coat of grey primer, which shows up any imperfections. These can then be filled with superglue, and the whole area is then rubbed down to find low spots. you must use a rigid sanding block on anarea this big, to ensure it comes out flat and smooth.

Also note I've rubbed down the area around the cockpit. This is because the panels appeared blown between the panel lines. It should look much better now under a coat of paint.

And here we are with a fresh coat of primer..

primered.jpg

I want to get as much rubbing down and scribing done as possible before the halves are glued together, or it'll fill up with dust through those open windows.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you like it ??

Nige

Edited by nigelr32

looks fantabbytastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have you decided on the liverys yet, what about Virgin Atlantic for the long one?

I think you're right there...Virgin would look great, but I think Chris has already done it??

I have been toying with the idea of doing Lufthansa, as I read somewhere that they have already enquired about the '900??

Thanks for your compliments....

Nige

I think you're right there...Virgin would look great, but I think Chris has already done it??

I have been toying with the idea of doing Lufthansa, as I read somewhere that they have already enquired about the '900??

Nige

what about virgin as the sff and ethiopian for the -900?

Nige

Just because I've already built an Virgin A380 doesn't mean you can't build one buddy. And this is looking the tits. Anyway I think the virgin a380 is due a refurb. Some bits I don't like about it!

Thanks john, Chris and madaboutmodels,

I enjoy sharing my work, and also enjoy the compliments, and criticism...

This kit should come with a health warning!!!

wheels.jpg

Theres a good couple of hours work, and still more work to do!!

Isn't funny how a good job looks tatty under the camera???

Nige

That is one thing I hate doing, painting the wheels ( ALL 22 OF THEM LOL )

How do you paint yours Chris?

I painted the wheels first, with Gunze silver, then gave them a light coat of alclad clear. I put on what was basically a wash of black, to allow the capillary action take the paint around the rim, then masked the wheel with white tak, and airbrushed on the black for the tyre.

It would appear in the photo that the wash crept up onto the rim in places??

Nige

It looks like I need to start again!!

I just looked up "A380 Undercarriage" on Google images, and discovered the wheels should actually be light grey. I've painted mine silver, as per Revells instructions!!

How many times do I have to tell myself "Reasearch Research Research!!"

Nige

It looks like I need to start again!!

I just looked up "A380 Undercarriage" on Google images, and discovered the wheels should actually be light grey. I've painted mine silver, as per Revells instructions!!

How many times do I have to tell myself "Reasearch Research Research!!"

Nige

That's me going have a look again as well then? I thought the nose gear was white and the main gears aluminium on my Quantas pics?

Blimey?

Flipping heck those will look tasty when finished.

If you are looking for suggestions on livery, then the SFF should be say Saudi Royal Flight or Sultan of Brunei (who else would do it?) and the -900 in BOAC??

Trevor

Flipping heck those will look tasty when finished.

If you are looking for suggestions on livery, then the SFF should be say Saudi Royal Flight or Sultan of Brunei (who else would do it?) and the -900 in BOAC??

Trevor

I like the boac idea, what about doing the -900 as jet2 and the sff as klm?

Edited by madaboutmodels