A380 900 Conversion

nigelr32

Hi all,

This is my first posting in this section, and am beginning with a question??

I have been modelling for years, but generally work in 1/48th and 1/32nd scale. I don't know what's come over me, but I've recently bought the 144th C-17, AN-124 and a second A380 (New livery + Emirates). I'm gonna get a Beluga and a 787 on Monday.

I have two A380 kits and am considering a 900 conversion, having seen Cuprar's brilliant conversion on here. I'm not a great lover of the 380, but it just looks so good extended!!

I have found an image that shows three A380 colour drawings, one on top of the other, that are all different lengths. The bottom one being the longest and referred to as the -900. The middle one is also extended, but not by as much, and is also titled as a -900. I see Cuprar has gone for the mid length version.

I plan to use the two fuses to make one, and would like to keep the clear windows rather than decals.

So, question time....

Which length is more "accurate"?

Can I fill the windows with clearfix, proud of the surface, then polish it back for a totally smooth fuselage? (Can clearfix be sanded and polished?)

Thanks in anticipation of any advice I'm given by all you experienced guys.

Nige

Edited by nigelr32

Hi Nige, thanks for the kind words buddy. I started mine with the same idea as you and use 2 fuselages. But it didnt work buddy. The A380 fuse is in all different angles so the idea of keeping the windows was a big no no. That was why I made up the plugs and filled the windows. I went with the longest 900 with 19 frames, so the one at the bottom of your page. But if I was you I would ask your other half for a wig for Christmas because you will pull your hair out like I did building it. But good luck buddy

Thanks for your advice mate.

I won't be asking my other half for a wig on two counts.. I'm a batchelor, and don't have another half, and my hair all fell out on it's own lol!! I'm 48.

I've just cut one fuselage up to give the new nose and tail sections. i see where you are coming from when you mention the angles and stuff... I'm currently trying to plan a way of using scrap sections of the upper deck to overcome the problem?? I'll post more as i proceed..with piccies.

Are the windows in the revell 380 ok as far as size and position goes??

Nige

Here we go, all cut up.

Fuselage1cut1.jpg

Fuselage1cut3.jpg

Fuselage1cut2.jpg

I need to start on the second fuselage now, once I plan the cuts to give me a straight "roof" and continuous window runs.

Chris,

I haven't decided on a scheme yet. I simply saw your conversion, and thought "Blimey, the old 380 looks good with a stretch!!". I had am Emirates kit in my stash from years ago, so out it had to come.

** Should i be posting this here, or in the works in progress section??**

Nige

Edited by nigelr32

Thanks Chris,

Here's the second fuse, sectioned as fast as a speeding bullet!!

Fuselage2cut.jpg

Fuselage2cut1.jpg

The rear end shouldn't be too difficult, but the nose is gonna take some engineering lol.....

I just love cutting kits up!!

Nige

Edited by nigelr32

Thanks John, it is a major task, but I love all the working it out, then making it all fit!! I'm an Engineer, ex RR.

This is the port fuse all sorted out.

PortFuselage.jpg

Notice the radius cut out of the front of the upper main fuselage section, replaced by a piece from the scrap fuselage section. I've also had to make up a wedge to go in the bottom at the front, as this area is radiused up to the nose, but flat on the '900.

PortFuselage1.jpg

At the rear it's just a case of slotting in a section of windows to replace the door. this was again cut from the scrap section of fuselage.

PortFuselage2.jpg

The lower section will need to be built up with plastic card. I think I might leave this till the halves are together?

This is all about the windows!! The sharper eyed amongst yoyu may notice the 1mm plastic card at the nose joint, this is because the windows wouldn't be correctly spaced without it.

Thanks for stopping by, hopefully you can see one half complete tomorrow?

Nige

Edited by nigelr32

Visible interior??? No way!!! I don't have the patience for that lol.

Remember the scrap sections...

I glued em all together....

sff.jpg

This is known as the A380 SFF (Short fat Fella)

I think I'll crack on with the 900 now...

Nige

Edited by nigelr32

i like the short one, its the airbus version of the 747sp

I know what you mean.. It's kinda cute??

What do you all think of this one then??

PortFuselage3.jpg

PortFuselage4.jpg

The rear section was really difficult to align!! The windows look a little odd as the rearmost ones have black paint in them. I originally used black paint , sprayed on, then scratched to mark out the cut lines.

Hope you like it?

Nige

Edited by nigelr32

Madaboutmodels,

I haven't decided on a livery yet?? The little un might be something different though?

Chris,

Not so fast with your well done compliments mate.... that rear end needs to be cut off and refitted. I thik I was fooling myself about those windows not being in line....

Could someone please tell me how to get good results with clear windows?

Thanks for all your posts on this big jigsaw puzzle!!

Nige

Nige

is ther an airport anywhere that could handle something this size???

clear windows - use clearfix into each window hole then put a silver window frame decal over it

Nige

Looking great Nige... how about a Qantas 'Wunala' or 'Nalanji Dreaming'?!

As for the windows, in 1/144th PVA glue applied with a cocktail stick will also have the desired effect.

Watching this one closely; an A380-900 is on my to do list, so it will be interesting to compare Cuprar's and your methods.

Keep the updates coming!

Tom