Airbus 319, British Airways

martin77

Morning all.

well i've taken the plunge and bought my very first airliner. After seeing so many excellent models this year i've wanted to have a go myself. I usually only build modern military stuff in 48th or 32nd scales so this maybe a challange.

so i went and got Revells Airbus A319 and i intend to do the 'British Airways' scheme in the box.

So is there any advice on the best approach, and also what about weathering and what to do with those bloody windows??

Many thanks and wish me luck.

Edited by martin77

Good morning Martin, welcome to the airliner corner, I find it's best to fill the windows from the inside of the fuselage then use 1200 wet and dry to sand down from the outside. I also tend to fill the cockpit window once fitted as well and then use the decals after paint. The best White paint to use is Halfords appliance White, you can not go wrong with that. If you mess the tail decal up let me know because I have a spare set. Hope you enjoy

Sorry bud, as for weathering it's upto you on what you want to do. I build mine clean but there are loads of pics out there to show you how dirty these birds get. Try airliners.net

Edited by cuprar

Thanks cuprar.

The only problem is the kit only has the window frames and no window on the decals???

I'll send you some if you pm me your addy

Really??

oh thats very kind thank you.

PM inbound

if you want to keep the window apetures then fill them with clearfix or similar and put the window frame decals on as normal, which is what I did with this one -

A320-Swiss7.jpg

tho' I did use window decals on this one -

airbus319_BA_1.jpg

weathering - use a pencil and 'wipe' the stain in the direction you want it to go (airflow usually) with your finger.

if your not happy with it, a lightly damp cloth will remove it so you can try again :)

..and it's usually tail cones, from the apu exhaust, and the lower edge of the rudder, flaps and spoilers that get lightly stained from leaking lubricant

and on the A319/320/321, engine exhaust stains on the underside of the wing from reverse thrust on ladings - and it can get very sooty either side of the engine pylons.

If you want to emphasise panel lines, again use a pencil with a VERY sharp point, run it thru' the panel lines and then run your finger over it

with Halfords paints, spray from a distance, not close up, three or four coats should be enough, then micromesh to smooth it out before decalling and detailing

There is a blue which is a close match for BA blue, but dont put it over the white paint as it may crack after drying

hth

edit -

the cockpit window does fit ok but depending on which of the kit issues you have, may need a bit of sanding on the top, right at the front; Airbus cockpit windows are flat not curved so the fuse shape above the cockpit window piece might be slightly off. But again, if you want clear cockpit windows, once filled and sanded to shape, micromesh will remove any sanding marks and polish the plastic to a pristine level; it will look better than it did when you got it out of the box.

The other issue you might have with the supplied cockpit window decal is that the white frames are not the same shade as Halfords paint.

Possible solutions;

install the clear cockpit piece and mask each individual window, so leaving the frames before spraying

use white decal strips

cut each window individually from the decal and dont bother with the frames.....time consuming and fiddly(!) I guess, depends how good you are with blade or scissors....

mostly tho' just enjoy it

Edited by kev1n

Bloody hell Kevin, starting to wish i'd stuck with military stuff now.lol

Naa only kidding, all very helpful, so thanks very much. The kit does look very good (apart from abit of flash).

Already filled the windows today, so gonna sand em back tomorrow. I think i'll be buying more, i do like the look of the 747 from revell, its a beast. but i'll plod on with this one first.

All the weathering tips are great to, i do love to weather, but its quite different from military jets that get very dirty, so i'll go lightly.

All the weathering tips are great to, i do love to weather, but its quite different from military jets that get very dirty, so i'll go lightly.

I guess it depends on the level you want to replicate. I've flown some absolutely filthy aircraft with paint chips left right and centre, but then again I've flown some pristine straight out the factory aircraft. Here are just a couple of typical weathering shots around an A319

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

I have a few more if you're interested and hoping to take a load more when I'm working next as I'm doing one of these as my next project...

I guess it depends on the level you want to replicate. I've flown some absolutely filthy aircraft with paint chips left right and centre, but then again I've flown some pristine straight out the factory aircraft. Here are just a couple of typical weathering shots around an A319

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

I have a few more if you're interested and hoping to take a load more when I'm working next as I'm doing one of these as my next project...

Thanks for them they are great. And yes if you have more please post them on, as it will really help. I would like to weather it as close to the real thing as poss, so all pics are appreciated thanks :)

When it comes to painting your model, in my opinion you can't find any paints better than Halford's rattle cans.

First, I use a coat of their grey primer. Next, I take a picture of the aircraft into the store and attempt to match the colur as closely as possible.

For whites, applicance white is fantastic. For Boeing/Airbus grey I like Ford Dove Grey. For corruguard I use Rover Steel Grey.

Any other colours, as I said, you can usually find a fairly close match. You can also have Halfords mix a specific colour for you, but it's pretty picey.

One the decals are on I use Halford's Clear Laquer. However, it is IMPERATIVE that you apply this in very thin dust coats (I usually do about 5) otherwise it can 'melt' the decals.

Once done, you can weather how you see fit.

Here are a couple of my builds using Halford's paints:

Virgin Atlantic A340-600: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...080&hl=A340

British Airways 777-300ER: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...p;hl=Boeing+777

HeavyLift A300F: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...;hl=Airbus+A380

Qantas A380-800: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...6&hl=Qantas

One message of warning though: don't mix enamels and acrylics as in the past I made this mistake with disasterous, paint-crazed consequences!

One message of warning though: don't mix enamels and acrylics as in the past I made this mistake with disasterous, paint-crazed consequences!

LMAO!.....I found that out once :wacko:

You can put humbrol enamel over halfords spray cans, but not the other way round.....

as to Boeing/airbus grey, Tom's right; Halfords will custom mix a colour but it does cost twice the price of a can off the shelf

Personal preference, I get my local branch to mix boeing/airbus grey as I prefer it to Dove grey and since I tend to be a bit sparing with it, it does last a while....longer than appliance gloss white thats for sure :wicked:

as to weathering, as always, its how you want to build it, but other areas that commonly show up the stains of everyday use are airbridge marks above and below the forward left cabin door (even Lufthansa can show this and thier planes tend to be much cleaner than others - Germanic pride I guess), rain marks also can be seen running down from the centre/lowest edge of each cabin window and rain marks again running down from the rain gutters above doors, both forward and aft.

so...."bloody hell".....yeah....lololololololol.......

:)

Well, the first adventure into Airliners is going very well. All built, filled, and primed. Took abit of sanding to get all the seams totally smooth. all sorted now though. Only thing is ive lost one of the little winglets from the wing tip (i'm building an Airbus 319) but i can make another from scratch. So paint soon, the landing gear to sort out.

Really enjoying this one, really makes a change from military modern fast jets. Just waiting for some window decals ( big thank you Cuprar) :worthy:

Well, the first adventure into Airliners is going very well. All built, filled, and primed. Took abit of sanding to get all the seams totally smooth. all sorted now though. Only thing is ive lost one of the little winglets from the wing tip (i'm building an Airbus 319) but i can make another from scratch. So paint soon, the landing gear to sort out.

Really enjoying this one, really makes a change from military modern fast jets. Just waiting for some window decals ( big thank you Cuprar) :worthy:

Looking forward to seeing it and no problem at all bud, I have loads of kits if your after something else lol

Looking forward to seeing it and no problem at all bud, I have loads of kits if your after something else lol

Oooo, nice, i'll be in touch then after xmas.lol. yeah i'll post some pictures when ive something worth showing.

It's always worth showing no matter how much is built

Yeah true. ive done a few W.I.P's on here on my military stuff, but as this was a first in the civi section i was scared.lol

Might upload some tomorrow, then you can tell me where im going wrong.

as to weathering, as always, its how you want to build it, but other areas that commonly show up the stains of everyday use are airbridge marks above and below the forward left cabin door (even Lufthansa can show this and thier planes tend to be much cleaner than others - Germanic pride I guess), rain marks also can be seen running down from the centre/lowest edge of each cabin window and rain marks again running down from the rain gutters above doors, both forward and aft.

so...."bloody hell".....yeah....lololololololol.......

:)

In addition to that, there are always dirty marks on the inboard flaps and gear bays due to crap being flung off the wheels as per photo below (more to come in walkaround section). I don't think you can go too far wrong with weathering on an airliner as they vary between filthy and factory fresh :)

IMG_0557.jpg

Other thread about the subject of dirty vs clean :thumbsup:

Just needs kev1n to restore his busted links! :lol:

Al

strange that - the pics havent been moved and my p/b account is still there, and working.....wierd....anyway; I'll go repost the pics

btw - there's a pic in the new issue of airliner world of a Finnair A330 taking off into a sunset and the shine really does show up well in the reflecting sun - this one is spotless and looks gorgeous

Nothing wrong with a clean airliner, they often are.

Just a bit dirty or very dirty more often :)

Just had a look through my work pictures, and got this one of a A319.

it does show somw signs of weathering.

Photo0043-1.jpg

Oh thats a good one. I guess there no different to modern military jets. Oil, APU's, hydraulic oil. But i also guess the airline try to keep them cleaner as they're face of the company.

I think i will add a little weathering, but must remember to restrain myself.

Its getting good this.lol

I guess there no different to modern military jets. Oil, APU's, hydraulic oil.

no they arent.....as to the keeping them clean part, some airlines are noted for it, eg Lufthansa, but even their aircraft will still show the signs of everyday use.

Some airlines are also noted for the grubby look, and BA are one, but you can still see plenty of clean BA planes

How often they get cleaned depends on how much money the airline has to spend on it, but it also takes time and time is money to an airline, so yes they are the face up to a point, but how much of that face is actually seen by the travelling public?

Most people dont care very much, air travel is a stressfull but necessary way of getting around and the bit generally seen, particularly at big airports, is the nose, pointing at the terminal....so that, along with the area around the cabion door (but inside the airbridge) will get cleaned more often.

It's not unknown to see an airliner that overall is very grubby or dull - apart from the oblong shape of brilliant white around the left side forward door.......

no they arent.....as to the keeping them clean part, some airlines are noted for it, eg Lufthansa, but even their aircraft will still show the signs of everyday use.

Some airlines are also noted for the grubby look, and BA are one, but you can still see plenty of clean BA planes

How often they get cleaned depends on how much money the airline has to spend on it, but it also takes time and time is money to an airline, so yes they are the face up to a point, but how much of that face is actually seen by the travelling public?

Most people dont care very much, air travel is a stressfull but necessary way of getting around and the bit generally seen, particularly at big airports, is the nose, pointing at the terminal....so that, along with the area around the cabion door (but inside the airbridge) will get cleaned more often.

It's not unknown to see an airliner that overall is very grubby or dull - apart from the oblong shape of brilliant white around the left side forward door.......

Oh right. I have a lot to learn if i'm gonna start playing with airliners. But this is all good to know, as i am intending on doing more airliners ( i think i've built everything military).

And i do like weathering, as im used to it,