H.M.S Repulse 70th Anniversary

kev67

As today 10th December 2011 is the 70th Anniversary of the sinking of the Repulse and Prince of Wales, I thought it would be appropriate to put my 1/700 scale Tamiya H.M.S Repulse photos on here, I made this model 3-4 years ago and it was my first model that I had completed in coming back to the hobby, and made it for my late father whose cousin was on board H.M.S Repulse when she sank.

repulse_6.jpg

repulse_5.jpg

repulse_4.jpg

repulse_3.jpg

repulse_2.jpg

So this model is dedicated to all those who perished on that day on 10th December 1941, especially for

THOMAS FARLEY

Petty Officer Stoker, D/KX 83419, Royal Navy

Additional Information: Age 26. Son of Joseph and Susannah Farley, of Hemsworth, Pontefract, Yorkshire.

Memorial: Plymouth Naval Memorial, Panel 51, Column 3.

Edited by kev67
  • Like 5

Marvellous tribute. From what I`ve read Repulse was a fine ship with a great ships company,what a waste.

Phil

Cheers Phil, from what I have read, they sent Force Z to intercept the Japanese, but did not bother to give them any carriers with air support

"... did not bother to give them any carriers with air support .."

Yep ,thats sadly true.HMS Indomitable was due to join Force "Z",but she ran aground in Bermuda,and had to go to the US for repairs.She was equipped with Sea Hurricanes and Fulmars ,and they would have coped well with the Japanese torpedo bombers ,another "what-if" of history

Cheers Phil

Thanks for remembering Kev, and a great tribute.

I've built the Airfix Repulse a couple of time as tributes for my grandfather.

Once mine own copy, and another for my dad.

Seaman William Mansfield, listed on the Portsmouth Memorial - was lost with the ship.

My dad said he was called up about 6 months prior (so joined ship after the Bismark chase).

Censorship meant that he and my nan didn't know what he was doing, or where he was - until the telegram arrived.

RIP

Thanks for remembering Kev, and a great tribute.

I've built the Airfix Repulse a couple of time as tributes for my grandfather.

Once mine own copy, and another for my dad.

Seaman William Mansfield, listed on the Portsmouth Memorial - was lost with the ship.

My dad said he was called up about 6 months prior (so joined ship after the Bismark chase).

Censorship meant that he and my nan didn't know what he was doing, or where he was - until the telegram arrived.

RIP

You may already know this web page but here it is anyway

http://www.forcez-survivors.org.uk.

Something I found quite interesting as well,

Walrus R6587, flown by PO WTJ Crozier, PO S Damerell and TAG MFA Rose of 700 squadron in HMS Repulse sighted Japanese invasion barges on 10 December 1941 and watched the Japanese attack on the British Fleet. It remained aloft during the Battle but force landed having run out of fuel. It was rescued by HMS Stronghold and towed 60 miles back to Singapore dockyard.

• 3 months later...

I am travelling on a cruise from Singapore to Thailand and, whether by coincidence or not, we are currently passing over the site of where these great ships were sunk.

The captain advised everyone of our location, including the significance of the date. It was interesting to see that the Japanese passengers bowed their heads in respect along with us 'westerners'.

Mike

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Wonderful Model Kev, lovely tribute.

I am Thomas Farley's great great nephew, I came across your post whilst trying to find information on him and the HMS Repulse.

I'm going to send you a private message. Hope you don't mind.

Regards,
Paolo.

Edited by pf357
edited for spelling and grammar
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I'm not a ship modeller by any means, but as mentioned built this for my late father. 

Just to add my cousin who is interested in all things history told me that both ships have been stripped of precious metals such as their propellers etc, which I find is disgusting as it is supposed to be a war grave