My shelf of doom......

timmah

Hi All

Well its that time of year again when the need for a good KUTA is required. I've decided not to join the Mustang GB and clear the shelf of unfinished kits instead. I took a picture of where the kits were hiding then photographed them one at a time for the build threads, it was only then that I realised just how many there were!

Picture of my shelf of doom with what looks like not many unfinished kits at all

P1010256.jpg

Off we go into the hall of shame............

Airfix MkIIa Spitfire - Done, pictures in gallery

Stripped and repainted twice due to errors and dodgy decals, then left so close to being finished that it's a bit embarrassing to even show it! Just needs to be flat coated, windscreen un masked and aeriel sorted.

PC080257.jpg

Hasegawa FW190A-8

Stripped after a problem with the decals and messed up the spiral on the spinner, needs flat coating, canopy painting and a few bits adding to complete.

PC080259.jpg

Airfix Mosquito NFII (Converted from an FB IV using some Tamiya bits)

Originally for the Nightfighter group build, cocked up the first decals (can you spot a recurring theme!), got some more, finished applying them, flat coated it which was a disaster as it all went misty white! then repainted it only to knock off the front guns and screw up the nose. Now have new nose and guns thanks to one Britmodeller (sorry can't remember who) and had decals sent from the Decal Bank and another Britmodeller (again sorry I don't remember, it was a long time ago!) to finish. I've now decided that all black is a bit boring and I'm going to do a black with camo top version. After an appeal in the WW2 section, Mustango70 came to the rescue and now I have the decals for just such a machine. I understand from a mosquito thread I've found that the cockpit won't be 100% accurate for a NFII in the intruder camouflage scheme but I don't want to crack open the canopy to change anything.

You never know, with my luck I'll probably drop the model again so who knows what might happen to the canopy or cockpit! Stay tuned.......

PC080258.jpg

Tamiya P47-D - Done, pictures in gallery

Purchased on recommendation from Jonners to help cure modeller's block and what a lovely kit it is..........apart from the thick heavy decals. Had it all painted up in various shades of Model Air acrylic silvers and tried to attach the tamiya decals, microsol damaged the paint and the decals just sat there and laughed. it was at this point I decided I was not getting on with fragile acrylics and stripped it back. I put a request into the Decal Bank (thanks again Colin) and back came some RAF codes. Repainted in camo and decals applied, now just needs a few bits painting, the drop tanks, undercarraige and flaps adding and its done.

PC080260.jpg

Revell 1:72 Lancaster

Building for the girlfriend for her desk at work, painting and decals all good, flakey plastic on rear stabilisers which needed sorting. I think its all that canopy masking which is stopping this one.

PC080263.jpg

Airfix Harrier FA2

Started this as a break from the WW2 stuff, rescribed all the fuselage then just got bored with its greyness and all the stencil data to apply. Just noticed front windscreen is now in two bits so I need to get a replacement before this one moves forward.

PC080268.jpg

ICM Spitfire Mk IX

Thought about starting this for the Spitfire GB, found out the kit has issues and lots of fiddley bits so after taking parts of the sprue's the shelf is where it stayed.

PC080262.jpg

Airfix F1a Lightning

Complete rebuild of an old kit my Dad made, needs a new canopy and a couple of firestreaks. Got some nice decals for it.

PC080265.jpg

Revell Typhoon

A quick build for the girlfriend to stop her moaning about the lack of progress on the Lancaster. Canopy was awful so sent to Revell for one which duly arrived.

PC080267.jpg

Revell Typhoon

Well if your painting one model, it's just as easy to paint two! also had really poor canopy so replacement ordered.

PC080266.jpg

Airfix Aston DBR9

Purchased on the promise that I could finish it in a weekend. In my defence I never said which weekend.................

PC080264.jpg

Tamiya A6M2 Zero

This was my second entry in the Pacific GB, was struggling to finish the hellcat so it just got left. A simple kit with not many parts which is why I thought I could build the two Pacific GB kits together, well we now know what thought did!

PC080261.jpg

So there you go, I still have my arch nemisis the Revell B1-B to beat into submission but that can be for another day, month or even year. If I can progress some of these to finished status I will feel a lot happier.

Wish me luck and thanks for looking

Best regards

Tim.

Edited by timmah

Hi Tim

I have to say a couple of those comments made me laugh out loud! :D I feel your pain!

I look forward to the finish of at least one for the g/f - bloody hell if she lets you indulge in your hobby it's the least you can do! :rofl:

Andy

OK that was very funny ..and a bit sad too for such an obviously talented modeller :lol:

have been a BM-er for a few years now ..and I've still not worked out what KUTA actually stands for .. ??? " kits U thought abandoned ' ...or something similar ?

(I don't actually have a 'shelf of doom' myself..unless you count the shelf were the finished builds go of course ! )

have been a BM-er for a few years now ..and I've still not worked out what KUTA actually stands for .. ??? " kits U thought abandoned ' ...or something similar ?

On the slim chance you're not kidding...

Kick

Up

The

:tapedshut:

But I like yours better!

And we're off!

Spitfire Mk IIa

Well I flat coated this with Humbrol matt varnish and it went all misty white again so was not impressed. I let that fully dry and re glossed it which helped bring some of the colour back. It's now been flat coated with Vallejo Model Air and that was much better. now just need to unmask the front screen attached the canopy and fuselage spine light and it's done!

PC140278.jpg

Mosquito NFII

One of the (many) problems I had with this model the first time round was that I dropped it and broke off all the guns sticking out of the front. Airfix have all the guns on one bar that you attach into the nose before it is glued on. In order to prevent me breaking the guns off again, I thought the simplest solution was to cut them off instead! I glued the support bar in and added some strip plastic to the top and bottom of it to act as a guide for when I re-attach them later.

PC110276.jpg

New nose added and blended into the fuselage. Locating pins added to the Airfix spinner back plates to take my resin copies of the Tamiya propellers, now ready for a re-paint to the bottom half

PC140277.jpg.

Sea Harrier FA2

Emailed Airfix about the front canopy but sadly they have replied saying non available, it is the same piece as in their FRS.1 and GR.1/GR.3 models so if anyone has a spare I would be very grateful?

Lightning F1a

Got home the other day to a personal Britmodeller message from Paul J offering a new canopy and possibly some firestreaks so that's excellent news and thank you Paul!

At this rate I'll have them all finished before the New Year............. :whistle:

Best regards

Tim.

Edited by timmah

One down.............

1:48 Airfix Spitfire MK IIa - Done!

PC170279.jpg

A couple more images have been posted in the gallery, be interested in peoples views on the underside oil staining.

Thanks for looking

Best regards

Tim.

Edited by timmah

Ok, a bit more done......

Tamiya P-47D

Storage had taken its toll on the flap hinges and several were broken. The kit gives you the option of having the flaps up or down and includes both types of hing. The kit engineering is beautifully done with the three hinges per flap slotting into grooves within the flaps which are then clamped by the two halves of the flap surfaces, this produces a very strong join and a rock solid connection of the flap to the wing that is just awesome.........unless you are trying to change the hinges!

I tried to split one of the flaps which partially worked before the plastic started to tear so I thought better of it and hacked into the remnants of the hinges and dug them out with the end of the knife. This meant that the new flap hinges had to be altered and as such won't be as strong a joint as before. There is a large surface along the inside of the flap bay and next to the fuselage to glue the flap in place so it should be fine.

PC170275.jpg

Engine, Cowling, Cowling flap ring and rear fuselage super charger doors in place.

PC180276.jpg

Drop tanks, pylons, landing gear doors, flaps(with new hinges), wheel hubs and tyres all painted.

PC180277.jpg

The P-47D will hopefully be on its wheels in the next few days.

Airfix Mosquito NFII

Black under surface and first light coat of grey top coat done. The demarcation line I'd created with my paper masks was too soft so I have touched up the sides and nose area ready for another attempt.

PC180278.jpg

Thanks for looking

Best regards

Tim.

Edited by timmah

• 2 weeks later...

And we continue...............

P-47D Thunderbolt

Flaps, drop tanks, landing gear and door attached. I've painted the flaps and just need to paint a small amount of green on to them, had a bit of an issue finding the right paints to finish so they look a bit off, serve's me right for not painting them at the time so a good lesson learnt.

Just waiting for guns, canopy and a few other bits and bobs to dry. Starting to get close to the finish line with this one.

PC280256.jpg

Lightning F1a

Done a bit of fettling on the Lightning just to tidy up some of the seams, here's a picture of it before I stripped it back. 30 years old, handpainted and with a cracked canopy. The tail planes, fin and nose I know have been re-glued on several times over the years.

PA180337.jpg

And how it looks today after a bit of attention, all the panel lines have been re-scribed and repairs completed on the fin and tail planes. The canopy from Paul J arrived in the post so I can strip that back and polish it up ready for attaching before priming it all. Need to find my Aeroclub nose which is somewhere along with some missiles to bolt onto the sides. I have the Xtradecal sheet which has some fabulous scheme's on it so I plan on finishing it in a similar 111sqn scheme to the one it had but with black spine and fin.

PC280257.jpg

Mosquito NFII

Grey top colour all finished.

PC280258.jpg

Paper masks applied and ready for the Dark Green.

PC290259.jpg

Should have the green on by tomorrow and I've started to have a look at the Aston DBR9 as well so progress has been made........

Thanks for looking

Best regards

Tim.

1:48 Tamiya P-47D Thunderbolt - Done.

Representing a 73sqn(OTU) P-47D painted in US equivalent colours based in Fayid, Egypt.

Load out not strictly correct but I wanted to have it "Fully Loaded"!

PC310263.jpg

More images have been posted in the gallery.

Thanks for looking

Best regards

Tim.

N.B.

Just noticed the inside of the rocket launcher tubes this side have no paint, this is now rectified.

small amount of progress.......

1:48 Hasegawa FW190-A8

Another one that is really close to the finish line. here's how it stood a few days ago.

PC290260.jpg

All the little bits, aeriels and drop tank attached. Propeller and engine fan also attached.

PC300261.jpg

Canopy masked up and ready for paint, internal parts for the canopy assembled. The spinner was stripped back and painted white in preparation for the spiral. I printed out an image of some spinner spirals I found on the internet onto sticky address labels and sized one up that looked right. Now just have to cut it out, stick it on and spray over it, might not work but worth a try.......

PC300262.jpg

More pictures soon.

Regards

Tim.

Hi All

Thanks everyone for all the kind words, the shelf of doom is shrinking but will it ever really go away? :shrug:

It's all progress Tim :)

Thanks Mish, That it is! expect more this weekend........

I blinked and missed the first 2 finished!! Great work, keep it up, not too quick though or you make us all look bad...

Thanks SaintsPhil, Well in fairness many of these were already too close to the finish line to start with!

That P-47 is drop dead gorgeous, Tim. We want to see more finished!

Andy

Thanks Andy, my aim is to please so keep looking as there's another on the way to the finish line and its been a right little Focke!

Best regards

Tim.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Been away with work so very little modelling time has been available, here's the small amount of progress that has been made......

1:48 Hasegawa FW190A-8

Its all done apart from the spinner, my copied/homemade spiral masks worked a treat (second time around!) and here is the result.

P1220257.jpg

Not 100% perfect but should be OK under a flat coat and weathering, then like I promised several weeks ago I will present to the viewers.

1:48 Airfix Mosquito NFII

In a rush to get this one done I started polishing back the green paint before it was fully dry, this stained the grey so I had to re paint it, re mask it and start again...........

P1220256.jpg

The photo of the real aircraft I have shows a slightly darker nose, this has been painted but due to the gloss of the paint it shows up more in the photo's than it will under a flat coat. The model is now gloss coated ready for the decals!

will be several days before I get round to more modelling so please stay tuned.

Regards

Tim.