1/48 Tamiya P-51 'Checkered tail'

As my Harrier dio is on hold at the mo I thought I'd join the party with Tamiya's excellent 1/48 P-51D.

I intend this to be a relatively quick build, so if there are any inaccuracies you'll have to excuse me as I'm normally a jet modeller.

First up, here's what I've got for this build...

Mustang001.jpg

Not much, just a Eduard zoom set and a True details seat to add to the mix.

I'm doing this one...

Mustang002.jpg

Its A/C 44-414676 from the 3rd Scout Force, 338th FS, 55th FG for those that are interested.

I could'nt resist getting started right away, added a bit of detail to the cockpit floor and seat.

Mustang004.jpg

Mustang003.jpg

I'll add the paint and zoom set next, jobs a good un!

Rich

Edited by Rich F

Good start Rich, I've not seen floor plates under the rudder pedals before. Makes sense as the floors did seem to get very scuffed.

Cheers Mish, TBH I added them after a quick nose through my copy of Osprey's mustang odelling manual and saw one with them.

Good job,always nice to see Scouting Force planes built. They are very much forgotten units

Too right, plus they looks cool. :coolio:

Looking good so far, nice neat work on the detailing. Looking forward to seeing her come on! :)

I notice the True Details seat claims to be an ejection seat...

Yes, i had a chuckle to myself at that one too!

Cockpit about 90% done, just a bit more weathering and hightlighting to do...

Mustang005.jpg

Mustang007.jpg

Mustang006.jpg

Mustang008.jpg

Paint was gunze and tamiya acrylics, details are Eduards zoom and placards sets.

This is turning into my fastest build ever, should'nt speak to soon soon should I!

Rich

Thanks for the interest guys, must admit I'm really enjoying this build, not usual filling, sanding and rescribing etc. Very easy kit to build :thumbsup2:

The wooden floor was a coat of Tamiya desert yellow acrylic followed by a few spots of burnt senia oils brushed in the direction of the wood grain, simples!

A bit more progress, cockpit going in...

Mustang009.jpg

Mustang010.jpg

All glued together, for some reason I had a bit of a gap in front of the windscreen, easily fixed with a bit 0.3mm sheet.

Mustang012.jpg

Mustang013.jpg

I've added a bit of detail to the undercart using lead wire and plastic rod.

Mustang011.jpg

I made sure that all surfaces were polished and clean and then shot Alclad white Aluminium straight onto the bare plastic,looks nice, just hope it doesnt come off with once i start the masking!

Mustang014.jpg

Mustang015.jpg

Thats all for now.

Happy new year! :cheers:

Beautifull cockpit Rich and the NMF looks superb. :clap2:

I haven't used Alclad myself, I'm just hoping that that the masking

doesn't cause the issues mentioned by others. Fingers crossed.

Deacon

First of all, that looks simply outstanding! I'm definitely going to try white aluminum now as I've only used aluminum and duraluminum. Secondly, I wouldn't worry too much about masking off the alclad. Since it is a Lacquer, it bonds pretty fiercely to anything it hits, just pull up the tape nice. and. slowly. :) keep us posted!

Cheers guys, well the good news is the Alclad didn't come off with the masking tape, stuck like poo to a blanket! :sick: On to the piccies...

Masking tape on, fingers crossed

Mustang016-1.jpg

Panel variation was achieved with Alclads Duraliminiun and Steel mixed with a bit of white Aluminium. Then I masked off the anti-glare panel and shot some Tamiya Olive drab, which i then lightened with adding a bit of yellow and randomly created a patchy effect then added a bit more to the centre of the access panels.

Mustang019.jpg

Mustang020.jpg

Next up was the Green for the nose, Aeromaster only supplies the yellow for the green/yellow checked nose so after a bit of careful measuring i masked it off and laid down a coat of custom green from a mix of gunze yellows and greens.

Mustang021.jpg

Mustang023.jpg

Mustang024.jpg

I'll be moving onto the decals soon, I'm in 2 minds about applying a clear gloss coat over the NMF before hand, should I or shouldn't I, any ideas?

TIA

Rich

I'll be moving onto the decals soon, I'm in 2 minds about applying a clear gloss coat over the NMF before hand, should I or shouldn't I, any ideas?

Rich

It's probably not necessary over Alclad. I've never has any trouble applying them direct anyway.

(I have has some staining/corroding of the Alclad when using Daco setting solution though. Just in case you use it)

Agreed, done many Alclad finishes and NEVER needed a glos coat. Have to say that is wonderful NMF. Great choice of subject too - rarely see any of the scouting force aircraft as finished models.

Keep the great work coming, Rich.

Ian

- Co-host Britmodeller 2011 P-51 Mustang STGB -