Three Mustang Production Line

Wez

Whilst I’m waiting for some glue to dry on my Thunderbolt I thought I’d present my submissions for the STGB. I’ve been wanting to do a Mustang for some while – my last attempt was the 1/72nd Revell P-51B some years ago – I was quite pleased with it until I got the wings on! The dihedral on one side was greater on one than the other – worse still one of the wings was hideously warped, whatever I did made things worse and I ended up scrapping the kit in a fit of pique, not like me I’m normally so calm! :whistle:

Initially I was going to choose one option but I couldn’t decide which so then I decided to do 2 from 3 but in a fit of lunacy, I’ve decided to do three – all in 1/72nd.

Here’s the kits:

IMG_0576cropped.jpg

Here’s the references:

IMG_0577cropped.jpg

Here’s the stickers:

IMG_0578cropped.jpg

My choice for the P-51 is to make a Mustang Ia FD541/T of 268 Sqn RAF around D-Day as in this link to Colin Ford's article on Hyperscale, living in Hampshire as I do I like to model subjects from Hampshire – 268 Sqn were based at Odiham in Northern Hampshire shortly after D-Day and would have been in these markings at the time so it fits the bill, there’s an interesting discussion about Allison engine Mustangs here. I’ll be using Academy’s lovely kit for this one. Markings will be courtesy of the spares box.

The next subject is a French F-6C photo-recce Mustang. The French used Mustangs from 1945 through to the early 1950’s as described in this link. My subject is R7-D of GR2/33 “Savoie” at Colmar between 1945 and 1951. Markings come from Model-Art 72/030 and the kit will be Academy’s P-51C. Thanks to PaulT for sharing a photo of this aircraft as a reference.

The final subject uses the Tamiya P-51D “Korean War” and markings come from Ventura Decals sheet V7266 and represents a target-tug aircraft from the Kentucky ANG, a picture of the aircraft can be seen here about halfway down the page in this link.

I’ve decided to do these on a production line – wish me luck!

Wez

Edited by Wez

Interesting range of subjects, looking forward to seeing these. I used to live in Andover, joined the local ATC squadron and we used to draw our weapons from the armoury at Odiham when we used the outdoor ranges at Ash Vale. We also made use of the sports facilities for Wing sports events.

Mark.

Sucker for punishment! (you said it.)

Hope it works out for you. Did the Academy P-51C - model recently - very nice kit, easy to construct and without any vices. It will be very interesting to see it in an unusual guise.

Looking forward to the other Academy kit - I assume it is a P-51A? The idea of using this as a D-Day participant is an unusual choice. Marvellous reference!

Prenton

Sucker for punishment! (you said it.)

Hope it works out for you. Did the Academy P-51C - model recently - very nice kit, easy to construct and without any vices. It will be very interesting to see it in an unusual guise.

Looking forward to the other Academy kit - I assume it is a P-51A? The idea of using this as a D-Day participant is an unusual choice. Marvellous reference!

Prenton

Thanks Prenton,

The Academy Allison engined Mustang is of a P-51 equivalent to a Mustang Ia (cannon armed), if it was a P-51A that would be the equivalent of a Mustang II - fixed radiator intake and 4x 0.50 cals all in the wing (like the P-51B/C).

Lost most of an evening's modelling last night trying to retrieve the mainwheel I was sanding the seam line off under the modelling desk. Found it eventually but had run out of time by the time I had - still Wez 1 Carpet Monster 0!

Wez

Thanks Prenton,

The Academy Allison engined Mustang is of a P-51 equivalent to a Mustang Ia (cannon armed), if it was a P-51A that would be the equivalent of a Mustang II - fixed radiator intake and 4x 0.50 cals all in the wing (like the P-51B/C).

Lost most of an evening's modelling last night trying to retrieve the mainwheel I was sanding the seam line off under the modelling desk. Found it eventually but had run out of time by the time I had - still Wez 1 Carpet Monster 0!

Wez

Actually, the Academy kit is a F-6A in US service, not a P-51 (the Brits didn't distinguish between the camera-equipped and non-camera-equipped Mustang 1A's, of course they also converted most of the 1A's to the camera-equipped form). To make a P-51 from the kit leave off the camera & mount and sand out the camera port on the left quarter-panel.

• 2 months later...

OK, here's some progress although due to 1) my crappy camera and 2) my lack of photographic skills I haven't got any good pictures of the cockpit.

Progress is at my typical glacial rate although because I'm currently an invalid on sick leave who's not allowed to lift anything, do anything strenuous or even fart without straining for the next couple of weeks I intend to maximise my modelling time!

Here's progress so far on my three builds (how stupid am I? I can't normally finish one kit in time for a GB let alone three! What was I thinking?)

Anyway, here's Academy's P-51 being done as an RAF Mustang Ia, you might be able to make out the Eduard etched seat belts which I've used on each of the kits (as well as some resin wheels not shown here).

In this case we have a Sutton Harness:

rIMG_0587.jpg

Here's Academy's P-51C being made as a French F-6C, again with the Eduard etched belts, what I haven't shown here are the camera ports I've made/added, I'll show those when I get the fuselage buttoned up:

rIMG_0588.jpg

Finally, Tamiya's Korean War edition F-51D again with etched belts and scratch seat braces added between the seat pan and back. This is the same aircraft as Giorgio N is building in this thread here.

Unlike Giorgio, I've painted the interior green rather than black, Mustang's from the D-30 series onwards and some ANG Mustangs had their interiors repainted black as per Giorgio's representation. My reasoning for this is the aircraft is a D-25 which would have originally have been painted green. Dunno which of the pair of us is right.

rIMG_0589.jpg

There'll be more progress to show later this week.

Wez

Edited by Wez

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another epic fail on my behalf, I haven't got a cat in hell's chance of finishing one let alone all three of the Mustangs I'm building for this GB - when will I learn? :doh:

I'm going to carry on with them alongside my next subject - a Hunter for that STGB, I really want to complete one in the timeline for the STGB.

I'll work on the French recon F-6C first as that's the most advanced, followed by the F-51D and then the Mustang 1a.

I must remember not to bite off more than I can chew...

Wez :weep: