1:350 Soya Icebreaker

Iain Ogilvie

OK - I'm in with my Soya Icebreaker. Have a few other projects that will be on the go over Christmas - but this should clean the pallet nicely as they say! :)

Previous stages here.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

• 1 month later...

OK - having given myself a KUTA about my entry in this KUTA - this evening I have mostly been breaking the ice (in my imagination anyway!)

After lots of head-scratching and battles over best methods of combining assembly with paint - and a lot of detail I've formed a plan - whether it's right, or wrong, only time will tell - and I'm no ship modeller - so please be gentle!!!

As the decks fit beautifully I decided to paint hull and decks separately. The side decks on the main hull need masking and spraying grey before a very light pin wash on the hull to pop out some detail.

I'll be masking some individual deck planks and spraying in a small variety of wood colour before masking up the grey details - followed by another pin wash.

That's the plan anyway...

Here's were we are:

re2005515.JPG

re2005516.JPG

Comments/tips/abuse - all welcomed! :)

Iain

Funnily enough Mish - I was playing with a set of wings for this before I went to bed last night - a 1:350 DHC Beaver - just a little smaller than my usual fare! ;)

Also spotted some more areas on the hull that need painting grey...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

OK - tonight I have mostly been cutting strips of masking tape tp the width of 1:350 planks - to mask random planks ready for overspray in slightly different shade:

re2005517.JPG

re2005518.JPG

And with a lighter shade of base misted over:

re2005519.JPG

Tomorrow, one paint fully hard, another set of plank masks and we'll go with a third variation on the plank shade...

Not sure if it'll work - we'll see...

Iain

I blame the meds Mish :)

Yeah - it's quite a small ship and yet the number of parts (over 320 in the kit - excluding the etch) - especially all the etch - is mind boggling. Am partly doing this for a complete change of scene (and fun) and partly to prove to myself I can do something this small and detailed :blink:

Here's the etch:

ice005.JPG

ice007.JPG

Managed to get a third colour on the decks before bed last night - result looks OK - but *very* subtle...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Coming along nicely Iain. I can see why I'm such a convert to wooden decks, but have taken note of what you've done as I now have this kit in the stash.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - having spent about 5 hours tonight detail painting decks and hull under a magnifier - I take my hat off to you ship builder types - patience isn't the word!!

Still - this is where we're at - hopefully another coat of Quickshine on shortly - then helicopter pad decals - then a Flory Models wash in black to pop out the detail.

re2005525.JPG

Have fun!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

• 2 months later...

Brilliant construction breakdown, this the first Soya build I've seen that makes me think "maybe I could do that". I was umming and ahing about how to paint the deck. Is it robust enough to handle when waterlined?

Will

The way Hasegawa have done the hull - with internal bulkheads - it's still very strong once water-lined.

It really is a great little kit - amazing quality - and something very different. I think P-26luvr is enjoying his too!

Give it a go Will - and take your time!

(must do a little more on mine)

Iain