Least favourite....

Gets my vote too! Why does superglue stick to everything but the model, tweezers, fingers, the bench, carpet....

Phil

Agreed. And why can't someone invent a thin superglue that has a slow setting time, but still with a slight tack initially, that allows you to position the part and adjust it before it sets (using a accelerator if necessary)? Sort of like a two-part epoxy but without the two-part mixing bit and the slow setting time.

Andy

Wrestling with ill-fitting parts. A little bit of sanding and such I can stand, but it's when you wonder if the various parts are made to the same scale that it becomes wearing. It will take days weeks months forever for me to be satisfied with the intakes on my Monogram Voodoo, and as for the wing roots ... :banghead:

• 1 year later...

Small detail decals...

:lol::lol::lol:

Filling, sanding, masking (generally) & masking canopies (particularly)! Followed by masking, filling & sanding & then filling, masking & sanding!! Did I mention that I HATE masking, filling & sanding with a passion??? :angrysoapbox.sml:

Also, superglue that sticks your fingers together but refuses to work when required to stick model parts together!

Xtracolour enamels ( given up on them completely - lousy colour density & stubborn refusal to dry even after waiting days!!)

Airfix (ok - only kidding here!!) for producing so many lovely new releases when I have so little money to spend on them (says he after walking out of model shop clutching 3 new Typhoons, 4 Mustangs & the new Lancaster!!) :lol:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

I like the building, the creating, the dropping flaps etc. And I actually like chucking on the initial spray coat of primer. But that's where it stops - I hate painting. If it wasn't for my self-discipline (yeah, right) that's how all stuff would stay. If there could be a way to miss out the painting stage and go straight to decalling I'd pay at least £1.50 more per model...

Building wings where the manufacturer for some unfathomable reason has designed the parts with the split along the flap/aileron line on the top surface so that you have a join which is almost impossible to get right plus loads of filling, sanding and re-scribing. The Airfix Boeing 707 and the original Welsh Models 757 are prime examples

Edited by David G

I dislike all the preparation...

I like glueing and the actual painting, but all the get ready and make good before...yuk.

Generally though, I start to lose interest when getting to the engines, anything is more interesting than that.

Well I guess I'm just not normal...a well known fact of course and something that Lady M has been gravely aware of since we thrashed out the pre nups with the family barrister all those years ago. I actually enjoy the preparation, (don't use a lot of filler as half the time it creates more work than it sorts out and as a scratch builder I'm used to cutting everything to fit) and don't mind the sanding as I find it kinda soporific, however masking small odd shaped windows and complex cockpit framing can test my patience, (thank God for Eduard masks) as well as applying a myriad of tiny stencil decals..oh the tedium...but you just know that they've ALL got to go on !! It's a funny old game !

Prepping the parts, removing mould lines, filling/sanding, trying to scribe lost panel lines from did I mention filling and sanding.

I tend now once the primers on the main part to start all the small stuff, wheels/undercarriage, armament etc,because I know I'll lose interest/patience if I put the top coat on and then have to face all the small stuff.

Well I guess I'm just not normal... as well as applying a myriad of tiny stencil decals..oh the tedium...but you just know that they've ALL got to go on !! It's a funny old game !

Oh yeah! I just spent hours sticking about 60 tiny red "X"s on a 1:144 Tornado. Aaaaaaarrggh!!!! My EYES!!!!

:badmood:

Had to be done though!

:mental::fuhrer:

:thumbsup:

I guess my nightmare is removing those hard-to-get-to pin marks that will be eye-catching when the model is painted and can be found in the most weird places... Next is removing the mold lines from landing gear struts and such other difficult parts.

I'm fine with decaling as long as the decals are of descent quality and don't brake apart in 10ths of pieces when placed on the model.

People who insist there are 2 categories of modeller ;

a) enthusiasts

b)hobbyists

With category "b" described as those who don't take the hobby as "seriously" as (a). To put this into context, I 've seen comments along the lines of "nicely detailed but with so many "flaws" it's only fit for hobbyists.

I do not like snobbery of any kind and, in my view, this sort of attitude falls into that category!

Speaking as a modeller of 40+ years experience ( and who doesn't give a f**k about "accuracy" etc) I consider comments like that to be both arrogant and patronising. Basically implying that somehow I (and others like me) are somehow second class because we don't scribe every panel line, count every rivet, correct every fault etc!!

Rant over ! :lol:

Allan!

ps - We are surely ALL modellers are we not - regardless of how we pursue our hobby? Who wants to take it seriously anyway? I suppose I could be categorised as an enthusiastic hobbyist ? :D

Edited by Albeback52