VTTBOTS Flying Sub (Mini-Me version)

shelfspace

Afternoon all, back on the forum after a wee break - been away from my bench / stash for a few months but back now for a bit. The Sci-Fi group build right up my street - will do this little Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Flying Sub minimodel to get the mojo back, hopefully something bigger to follow. Parts shots:

001-6.jpg

002-5.jpg

And the interesting cardboard interior.

004-2.jpg

Clobbered the interior together with UHU and dry-fitted it, not a bad effect when the clam's closed up, not sure if I'll use it though.

012.jpg

More in a bit.

Nobody caring? Oh well. Decided against using the cardboard interior - I might do another one of these later on with the paragraphics (Is that right?) etched interior, but to be honest, althought the card interior works really well, it's not for me, so I painted the back of the transparencies black and blundered on. (see blundering photos attached.) But however bad my attempts are, what an absolutely marvellous shape! Gotta get some Halfords yellow in the next coupla days which will suit for my projected new Airfix Yellowjacks Gnat when it arrives... spritz, spritz. But however rudimentary, it's still got me modelling again...0142.jpg">

013.jpg

0162.jpg

Believe it or not, I masked the front windows. Just need to get aboard them with a cocktail stick and some white spirit...

How big is this? Can you put something in the photos to give a sense of scale - I get the impression this is a very titchy little thing :)

If this is as small as I think it is you've done an impressive job of painting there!

Okey doke, scaling photo below with a ruler and for context, some bits and bobs that were to hand, towhit a 1/72 Hellcat (bikini drone) and my beloved OM2. As far as bits to stick on, I think that's about it... Just the painting to do now. There's nothing at all wrong with the cardboard interior - it works remarkably well for what it is, but it looks too - well, printed, for me. Barely an issue in this scale (1/128, I think), but I'm more interested in the overall shape, in any case. As I say, I might do another with an etchy 'n' scratchy interior, but that'll be post-yule...002-6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda wanting to move on with this now - nearly finished apart from touching up the (incredibly) scrappy areas highlighted by the all-too-unforgiving photos. Haven't got the Half*rds yellow yet so I left the yeller plastic naked, and that was a seriously 'aged' pot of silver I used. About as denatured as 40-y-o balsamic vinegar, with about the same covering power. What the hell... this is a proof-of concept piece anyway. But still makes up as a nice model of one of Irwin's finest designs. Finished photos soon after tidying up. Anybody got any strong views as to whether the body stripes should be black or dark blue? I've gone with black but opinion seems to be divided.

flysubtooo.jpg

flysub.jpgvttbots004.jpg