Box Art of the Year 2011

pigsty

Pretty much any Airfix kit could win, IMO, but my particular favourite this year was:

A07006.jpg

This picture has troubled me ever since I was a kid - is the bloke who's just stepped out of the van going to be decapitated by those bits of detached aileron?

I must admit, I did realise it wasn't the original, but as it was a straight copy

Um, no, it's not a "straight copy". (If it was, how would you have realised it?)

As noted above, it's an updated version based on the classic original.

And even if it was identical to the original (like the Angel) ....

It's artwork from a new box released in 2011.

Which was the only requirement for nomination, surely? If you want to limit the nominations to "artwork never previously seen, and wholly original in design" then you need to tell us up-front ....

I don't know about you guys but I am so pleased that so many Airfix kits are on here.

It's so good to see them getting back to where they used to be in the modelling market.

Not that I disagree with your sentiments, but it's not exactly on point. If the goal is to find "most attractive box cover", then the contents of the box are generally irrelevant -- good, bad or otherwise. The hypothetical company "Trumpaleri Boss" might make the worst kits ever made, but if they put them in beautiful boxes, they'd still be eligible in this thread, yes? Eminence in the market place is not at issue.

In point of fact many ancient Airfix stinkers have been repackaged and graced with simply beautiful Hornby artwork. Here's a recent case in point (another candidate):

A01307_1.jpg

Edited by BWP

Not that I disagree with your sentiments, but it's not exactly on point.

I took Steve to mean Airfix were getting back to where they used to be in terms of artwork. In the days of Roy Cross Airfix had first class artwork. In the Palitoy years they gave up and made do with a ropey looking model sat on what looked like a bit of graph paper. Just before the pre-Hornby collapse they had some fairly lacklustre artwork in which even an aircraft as lovely as a Spitfire could look dull. Now they are back with artwork that grabs our attention.

I'm afraid this one is disqualified - it came out right at the end of 2010 and was nominated several times in last year's thread (see here)

Hadn't realised it was last year. only just got mine recently :sorry:

Not that I disagree with your sentiments, but it's not exactly on point. If the goal is to find "most attractive box cover", then the contents of the box are generally irrelevant -- good, bad or otherwise. The hypothetical company "Trumpaleri Boss" might make the worst kits ever made, but if they put them in beautiful boxes, they'd still be eligible in this thread, yes? Eminence in the market place is not at issue.

The point I was making was that it was nice to see so many Airfix nominations. Which is EXACTLY on point.

I don't understand why you are being so grumpy?

If you want to reply please do so by PM as I don't want this thread turning into something its not.

Apologies Sean, but I had to reply.

Steve

The point I was making was that it was nice to see so many Airfix nominations. Which is EXACTLY on point.

Well, that may indeed have been your point, but I don't think you quite phrased it that way. Never mind.

I don't understand why you are being so grumpy?

I don't understand why you think I am being grumpy? It's just conversation.

Not my cup of tea, but someone at Airfix needs to learn how to spell INTERCEPTOR correctly.

I was going to point this out myself, but apparently INTERCEPTER is an acceptable alternative spelling. (Acceptable by whom is open to question.)

That said, it still looks wrong to me so I'm glad they changed it for the release version.

(Edit: Typical - in a post criticising an apparent spelling error I make a typo!!! :wall: )

Edited by GordonD

I don't know about you guys but I am so pleased that so many Airfix kits are on here.

It's so good to see them getting back to where they used to be in the modelling market.

Steve

Just caught up with this thread - I agree wholeheartedly! The new Airfix cover art is simply fantastic! And the kits keep getting better and better!

Personally, I like the Gnat, but the new/old Lancaster is pretty awesome too!

Cheers,

Bill

My vote is for the Airfix Gnat, as I don't have a model shop within 500kn I've had to reply on what has been posted here. Mind you the Lightning was a close second.

Colin on the Africa Station

Steve

Couldn't agree more Steve! I'm particularly pleased to see a lot of the original kits being re-released. I don't personally care how good,bad or indifferent they may be! :D Getting back on track, I'd nominate the Airfix JU-52 box art showing the float plane being attacked by a Spitfire