Academy 1/72 P-51D

cjhm

I'm in with this one please

Will be out of the box apart from decals as the kit ones were never in the box and could get no reply from Pocketbond. Paul J came to the rescue with a set from a Hasegawa kit plus stars from a Revell sheet

p51_011211_1.jpg

p51_011211_2.jpg

Looking forward to this build.

Just one thing though, if you look at the box art it suggests that there are seven exhausts on each side!

How many HP was that Pony toting?

Trevor

Well spotted, sorry to report the kit only has 6 each side ....

Well spotted, sorry to report the kit only has 6 each side ....

The original Academy kit DID have 7 exhausts, they re-tooled it to the current version - something to check before you buy 2nd hand!

Wez

Edited by Wez

OK, started sticking some bits together for the cockpit, good detail compared to last 1/72 Mustang I did (Matchbox circa 1985 ...)

p51_011211_3.jpg

OK, started sticking some bits together for the cockpit, good detail compared to last 1/72 Mustang I did (Matchbox circa 1985 ...)

p51_011211_3.jpg

Looks good Bud she should build up well.

wellzy :headphones:

Cockpit painted, couple of coats of Lifecolor interior green followed by detail painting, bit of drybrushing on instrument panel then some Games Workshop\Citadel Gryphonia Sepia wash. Dots of Krystal Klear on instrument faces finished it off

Flash makes it appear very stark, colours are a lot warmer and subtler in the flesh

p51_041211_1.jpg

p51_041211_2.jpg

Edited by cjhm

Main assembly going well, wing to fuselage joint on port wing and underneath the wing where the intake joins need a bit of filler though

p51_071211_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got behind on this one but managed to do some stuff today

Primer of Lifecolor Interior Green has been brushed on to highlight any flaws in cleanup, lip of underside intake is main area needing further cleanup

Started to prep some other bits ready for paint, tyres and UC doors have prominent ejector pin holes so these have been filled with Mr White Putty. I have left doors as 1 piece until cleanup complete then I will seperate them

Decided on markings, will be Boomerang Jnr of 434th Fighter Squadron using the Hasegawa decals, plane is natural metal overall with OD anti glare panel and a red rudder

p51_2112.jpg