1-32 Supermarine Spitfire MK 22/24

Hi all,

I just thought I would share these pictures of the finished build I have recently done of a 1-32 Spitfire. The kit is the Revell 1-32 Spitfire MK 22/24 and the reason I wanted to build it was because as a child I remember my first real, proper model I made...patiently was this kit. However I remember the box being a lot bigger and longer and I think it was Airfix [thanks to member 'unkempt' for staing it was Matchbox!], but the kit, decals and everything about it were exactly as I remembered them.

The model itself is lovely to fit together is a good size to display when built. The only issue I had was that the undercarriage got sheared off in what can only be described as the 'clumsygate affair' ! I rescued it and had to reconstruct a leg however I am not happy with the way the model sits, the legs are angled too far forward... hence selected angled photos. Does anyone know if an aftermarket undercarriage is available for this kit?

Typically for me, I didn't want to do the markings provided and so using some artistic licensing not for the serial or code but as to whether they were on this actual mark, I came up with the scheme you see. I actually wanted to do it as a trial for painting silver painted aircraft, something I have never been able to do convincingly. This led to the P-47 I did which I posted as 'A brace of [1:48 Academy] P-47 Thunderbolts!' in the ready for inspection section. Sorry unsure how to do links? (if anyone could let me know I would appreciate it). I hope to do a 1-48 B-17 in silver in the future..

So what you see is what you get and I am happy with it. Painted using Citadel Acrylic paints applied by brush. Weathering was achieved using artist pastels, sanded off the stick into a pot and then applied by dry brush (To stop them smudging give a spray of hair spray! it works). Finally the model was varnished in clear gloss and then a final coat of Citadel Satin varnish being sprayed on, giving the final sheen. I applied the roundals but decided to experiment by overpainting them to 'tone them down' and make them seem sun faded, I actually like the end result and may do this again.

IMG_7514.jpg

IMG_7530.jpg

IMG_7525.jpg

IMG_7505.jpg

PBIMG_7518.jpg

Hope you like the pictures, the vehicle is the Tamiya Light Utility car 'Tilly'10 HP in 1-48scale, in the background for added affect!

Feel free to leave any comments or constructive criticism.

Many thanks for viewing.

Tommy.

Edited by tommyinuk0

Yes i love too. Pity about the undercarrage legs , the same thing happended to mine ,Its the worst part of the kit and i would like to find some white metal replacements too.

Love the finish and the markings allthough a little bit too weathered for my taste , :goodjob:

Hey,great painting and weathering-cracking job!For me the panel lines are a little too bold-but that may be the nature of the model with big channels for panel lines?I like the faded look to the decals-works well.Cute idea too to have the Tilly in the 'background',well done!

Mike

Quite nice! It's got an air of realism about in, notwithstanding the (IMO) over-emphasised panel joints. And the Tilly is a nice addition, contributing atmosphere.

Hope you can sort out the u/c. I suspect the easiest available spare parts are in another kit. You could always build that one in a flying config… ;-)

/Joachim

I remember building this in the late 70's. Cost me £1.50, which was a bigh chunk from my pocket money. Definitely Matchbox, it was a "3 Colour Kit" to show its "elite" status. Came as a Camo Hong Kong based RAF machine, a NMF RAuxAF and a NMF Egyptian as I recall.

Beautiful build and photography. I have recently discovered the Citadel metals and they are good.

I fear you may have re-ignited the "Tilly in RAF service" discussion - apparently it wasn't and Tamiya based the kit on a restoration.

I remember building this in the late 70's. Cost me £1.50, which was a bigh chunk from my pocket money. Definitely Matchbox, it was a "3 Colour Kit" to show its "elite" status. Came as a Camo Hong Kong based RAF machine, a NMF RAuxAF and a NMF Egyptian as I recall.

Beautiful build and photography. I have recently discovered the Citadel metals and they are good.

I fear you may have re-ignited the "Tilly in RAF service" discussion - apparently it wasn't and Tamiya based the kit on a restoration.

Yes its the Tilly Problem! A Wartime built Tilly, of a type not used by the RAF, in Pre war Colour scheme, with mid to late Wartime markings! Tamiya should be hung drawn and quartered for poor research!

both Look good made up though!

But I think some Erk would be on a Fizzer to let his Spit get so dirty!

Selwyn

Thats a really nice build and presentation. I like it a lot.

On the panel lines I recall that this model has huge trench like panel lines and having one in the stash I do wonder what the best method of addressing that problem would be? Filler and re-scribe?

One major issue with the post however is - when will you young whippersnappers stop pulling out models from your "youth" when I did them in my mid life ? It really makes me feel old !! Now I'm off to ask a young policeman just out of school to help me across the road !! :clif::D

Thats a really nice build and presentation. I like it a lot.

On the panel lines I recall that this model has huge trench like panel lines and having one in the stash I do wonder what the best method of addressing that problem would be? Filler and re-scribe?

I've had one part-built for about 15 years now... and that was a mid-life job ;)

If and when I get round to finishing mine, I'll be filling in all the lines that aren't associated with moving or opening surfaces, and pencilling in new ones with a fine lead before the final finish coat Works for me...

Thanks for all the replies and comments. I have found some metal legs on e bay so may get them. I didn't know about the Tilly debate! Having searched the vehicle forum for Tilly I am now aware of it! I did not know Tamiya were wrong with their scheme! I now feel compelled to repaint my Tilly, into an army version.

Thanks.

Tommy

At the risk of straying a smidgin off topic I see that there are an increasing number of AM sets to tart up this old lady. There is a nose job in resin mentioned elsewhere but I can't recall the details - its still in production and has had good reviews as I recall

also just spotted on Hannants site

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MR32021 brass guns

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MST32045 cockpit

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MST32050 brass guns again (?)

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MST32046 exterior set

all from Mastercasters

Plus there are decal sets too.

Anything else anyone knows of? And anything one can rob off an earlier mark that would look ok on a 22/24?

• 3 weeks later...

That's a great build of one of my most memorable models, when I was young and poor (new kids, mortgage, wife etc) I used to stop at the newsagents on the way home from nights and they had the Matchbox kit in the window, it looked great and I lusted after it, but the house and family came first. I've got 2 in the loft now ! Great work and great photos.

Cheers

Den