Mossie FB VI AND B.IV radioes

wally7506

:huh: I'm ready to build some Mossies!

What I keep hearing is that one should NOT use the kit radio transmitter for the rear deck behind the pilot/nav on a FB.VI.

Is this correct? The rear deck should be vacant?

And what about B.IVs? (especially Oboe) Did they still have the T.1154 transmitter inside the canopy?

(I'll hang up and listen.)

Edited by wally7506

:huh: I'm ready to build some Mossies!

What I keep hearing is that one should NOT use the kit radio transmitter for the rear deck behind the pilot/nav on a FB.VI.

Is this correct? The rear deck should be vacant?

(I'll hang up and listen.)

No, the rear deck should only be empty on NF.II which carried sets internally. (NF.XII and NF.XVII also had radios internally though rear deck was taken up by radar equipment boxes):

MkXIIRadio.jpg

As stated in message from Jerry the FB.VI should have radios on rear deck

HTH

Andy

Edited by andym

Only very early FBVI aircraft had the 1154/55 installation as denoted by Airfix, Tamiya and most others.

The rest had internal fit.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I wasn't aware of that, I thought it was standard fit on all FB.VI's?

Andy

Only very early FBVI aircraft had the 1154/55 installation as denoted by Airfix, Tamiya and most others.

Bruce

Is it possible to tie that to a serial number batch? And by "internal fit", I suppose you mean that the radios were installed in the fuselage and not behind the pilot/navigator? What about the other versions like T.III, B.IV, PR.XVI, FB.XVIII etc?

Jens

Bruce

That's what I have heard. Where can I find more information? My searches are coming up with zilch.

Hi

Interesting,just read the manual,

Found a page, issued sep 44, Ammendment list 21, states ...

" the top half of the observer seat hinges backwards for access for the radio".

I wonder if this refers to the change.

The amendment list in the copy I have, goes to 1948 and there is nothing else there.

Cheers

Jerry

Hi

Found some interesting stuff here.

apparently the radios were moved to fit gee there.

http://www.mossie.org/forum/read.php?1,3095,3117#msg-3117

model photos refered to in thread

http://www.mossie.org/images/models/Neil_H...cockpit_004.jpg

http://www.mossie.org/images/models/Neil_H...cockpit_009.jpg

cheers

Jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Hang on, I'll have a look at the manual, but yes, GEE was placed there on many aircraft.

My understanding is that only a very few FBVI aircraft had the 1154/55 fit in the cockpit.

Bruce

Mine too. Only the first 30 or so built if I remember correctly.

Mark

Hi

So going back to the OP's question.

It appears the answer is the rear deck should not be vacant by default.

It depends on the type of radio fit and wether 'GEE' was fitted or not.

cheers

Jerry

Hang on, I'll have a look at the manual....

Bruce

Hi

Great, any chance of the AP 2019 letter, issue and ammendment date of the manual you have ?

I may have another one I have to get...

cheers

Jerry

.... What about the other versions like T.III, B.IV, PR.XVI, FB.XVIII etc?

Jens

Hi

Great question,I would like to know the same.

AP manual 2019C 1942, for the T III shows a control unit for A.R.I 5010 ( IFF Mk IIG ) on the rear shelf, and radio TR133 internally fitted

AP 2019N B XX Feb 44 has radio equipment on the rear shelf and internally.

Any takers for others ?

cheers

Jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

The one I have to hand right now is an original AP2019T Vol 1 for the FB26 - which is different as it is Canadian built, and has a mix of British and American equipment.

However, it does show GEE fitted behind the pilot/NAV, and an SCR522 radio system fitted in the rear fuselage.

My copy of the FB6 manual is on another computer, which I need to find - stand by!

My original TIII manual dated 1943, and appears unamended shows TR1133 fitted aft of the rear wing spar, in the rear fuselage. It has the push button channel controller, common on Spitfire, Mosquito and others, mounted just to the rear of the throttle box.

If I can find a moment in the next day or so, I'll dismantle and scan these books.

Bruce

The one I have to hand right now is an original AP2019T Vol 1 for the FB26 - which is different as it is Canadian built, and has a mix of British and American equipment.

However, it does show GEE fitted behind the pilot/NAV, and an SCR522 radio system fitted in the rear fuselage.

My copy of the FB6 manual is on another computer, which I need to find - stand by!

My original TIII manual dated 1943, and appears unamended shows TR1133 fitted aft of the rear wing spar, in the rear fuselage. It has the push button channel controller, common on Spitfire, Mosquito and others, mounted just to the rear of the throttle box.

If I can find a moment in the next day or so, I'll dismantle and scan these books.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply,this is turning into an interesting thread, I look forward to your next post.

Good to see the T.III manual you have has the same info.

Seems I have to get myself a AP2019T..

cheers

Jerry

What's the black thing in the space behind the pilot's seat?

Hi

looks like some kind of selector switch for the aerial,as I can read switch options ....HT On trailing, normal, earth, HT on ***, and ???

Maybe someone knows more, it is not in any of my manuals at hand.

cheers

Jerry

Hello!

Mosquito has always been one of my favourites. The old 1/72 Airfix Mossie was the second model I built and the first where I used model tube cement (my first one was Airfix T.3 Provost glued together with PVA!).

Does Dave Brown frequent here? He has written an article and a book where among other things the radio fit of Mosquito FB.VI has been explained:

- Model Aircraft Monthly, Vol 8 Iss 3 March 2009, page 14 (Part two in the article series)

- "Mosquito FB.VI Airframe, systems and RAF wartime usage", SAM Publications 2009, ISBN 978-1-906959-08-1, page 64

As I understand it Mosquitos FB.VI HJ662 to HJ687 and HJ715 to HJ743 had the T.1154-R.1155 installation.

For subsequent FB.VIs radio fit was A.R.I 5083 ("GEE") and R.1155 (only). The R.1155 receiver was installed like in the photo Chaddy has put online. GEE installation looks like in the model photos brewerjerry has linked. Someone correct me, please, if it is not so.

My question would be if GEE really was installed on all FB.VIs after HJ743? For example Andy Bird's "Separate Little War" gives impression that not all Mossies did have GEE and IIRC most of those Banff planes were later than HJ743. I may be wrong and would very much like to know what was the real equipment status of the Banff Striker Mossies.

Cheers,

Kari

Having looked at the diagrams supplied in this thread and then pictures of Mosquitoes (not just FB VIs) I have noticed this:

There are plenty of pictures where TWO aerials can be seen; one from the fuselage and another from canopy. One of the diagrams states that the Gee set required a 41" whip aerial that exited the canopy.

Could it be that whenever one notices a whip aerial exiting the canopy of a Mosquito that particular airplane has a Gee set?

I have noticed this on B.IVs, FB.VIs, B.IXs, and even NF.XXXs. The pictures of the NF.XXXs show a wooden aerial from the fuselage and a whip aerial exiting the canopy. Quite a few pictures of FB.VIs show two large whip aerials.

The Sharp/Bowyer book on the Mosquito states that B flight of 464 Sqn (FB VIs) began using Gee in late 1943.

This is quite and interesting thread! Thanks you all.